Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided I would buy a Ram Promaster for my first service vehicle, although I have not purchased it yet. What has surprised me is when I go to Ram's official website I am able to chose every variation like wheel length 118,136,159 and also if it has a high or low roof, and the engine size 1500,2500, or 3500. The prices start at 35k and most of the vans are under 40k new.
Then when I look online at used Promasters, I find ones with 140k miles that are 5 years old and yet are asking 20k, when a new one would cost 38-40k. I guess I think of cars with 140k plus miles as cars at the near end of their life. Maybe a first car for a high school kid.
Another one I see is used, 4 years old 90k miles and they are asking 30k, when a new one would be 38-40k. It seems like buying new would be such a better deal.
I have a 13 year old Toyota Corolla with 115k miles on it and it's Kelly Blue book worth is about 13 percent of what a new Corolla would cost. Seems like I would be getting a much better deal if I bought a new Promaster.

·
Super Moderator
9,997 Posts
There’s a company out in Grand Rapids that used those Promasters. In the shop all the time. Anyone in my area that buys one can’t have it repaired at any Chrysler dealer. You have to drive 2 hours away for the closest qualified service. I don’t live in the sticks either.

·
Registered
Plumber
359 Posts
Thank Obama and biden.

Cash for clunkers.. aka great vehicles that would have lasted years that the government purchased and destroyed purposefully inflating the market. You will not find a used car for a good price anymore.

You can find deals from moving companies when the upgrade their moving truck they will sell off the old fleet.. still it's a grim situation.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,967 Posts
They claim that their is a chip shortage and new trucks are sitting in parking lots filled to the gills
that they cant sell until they load the trucks computers with the right chips...

due to this chip shortage, all the older trucks on e-bay are selling at double ++ what they
were worth just before the election.....

That truck I got last year was a 2015 Ford box truck with 103,000 miles on it with a lift gate was
bought off E-bay back in early October has more than doubled in price since then

I bought it before the election at the low,,,,
and I think its kind of obscene what they are asking for used stuff

this also makes me wonder what insurance companies will be doing when someone wrecks a truck and
it needs to be replaced with something of the same value???

·
Super Moderator
9,997 Posts
Thank Obama and biden.

Cash for clunkers.. aka great vehicles that would have lasted years that the government purchased and destroyed purposefully inflating the market. You will not find a used car for a good price anymore.

You can find deals from moving companies when the upgrade their moving truck they will sell off the old fleet.. still it's a grim situation.
Thinking of selling the wife’s car. Three years ago it was worth $3k, now $8k. She works from home, so we don’t need three vehicles.

·
7,967 Posts
Thinking of selling the wife’s car. Three years ago it was worth $3k, now $8k. She works from home, so we don’t need three vehicles.

You probably would be wise to do that , especiallly if you dont need the car
we have to be at a tipping point soon
and eventually the chips will be available again and the price should plummet

·
7,967 Posts
I respect your opinion, prices on used vehicles will not plummet however.. nothing but up until the crash of the dollar.

We are close to the end game. Just watch the more serious hyperinflation the more fake pandemic crap we will hear. They will blame the virus for crashing the dollar..

But what do I know

You could be correct,,, considering they are bussing in infected mexicans to all the midwest states in
the hopes of making everyone sick..... anything is possible and permissible

·
Registered
Ram Truck, Chassis, service body and ProMaster supplier to support your trade
10 Posts
I decided I would buy a Ram Promaster for my first service vehicle, although I have not purchased it yet. What has surprised me is when I go to Ram's official website I am able to chose every variation like wheel length 118,136,159 and also if it has a high or low roof, and the engine size 1500,2500, or 3500. The prices start at 35k and most of the vans are under 40k new.
Then when I look online at used Promasters, I find ones with 140k miles that are 5 years old and yet are asking 20k, when a new one would cost 38-40k. I guess I think of cars with 140k plus miles as cars at the near end of their life. Maybe a first car for a high school kid.
Another one I see is used, 4 years old 90k miles and they are asking 30k, when a new one would be 38-40k. It seems like buying new would be such a better deal.
I have a 13 year old Toyota Corolla with 115k miles on it and it's Kelly Blue book worth is about 13 percent of what a new Corolla would cost. Seems like I would be getting a much better deal if I bought a new Promaster.
Blame the lovely chip shortage, metals shortage and transportation shortage. We sell over 200 new vehicles per month. Our newest allocation for this month? 30! It's tough to buy right now. If you have any more questions, I'm happy to help.

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
1,829 Posts
If I were to buy a new service truck I would search for zero down and zero% interest. Then lease the vehicle back to myself for double the money.
that kinda like how I fired myself last week for sleeping in and being late, but then I need someone to work that day so I had to re-hired myself..

·
Registered
Ram Truck, Chassis, service body and ProMaster supplier to support your trade
10 Posts
Drove up I-75 near flint the other week, there are thousands of GM pickups just sitting in fields next to the highways waiting for chips. I’m sure the same his happening with vans and other work trucks.
Thankfully, not so for Promasters and City's. We are seeing almost everyone finish production within days. They just aren't building many. And, then there is the challenge of getting them here from Mexico or Turkey by boat or rail. And, we all know how well that is going. Not! (fyi though Wagoneers were/are like that somewhat). 🤷‍♀️

1 - 18 of 18 Posts