Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fairly new(ish) house that I did the plumbing on: Customer calls maybe a year or two after moving in with the upstairs tub drain doing this. It's all bent up and cracked - not leaking. Finished basement, so I just unscrewed the top and replaced it. It had some stuff under the drain with the silicone - well, it would, wouldn't it? Thought it must have been a defective waste and overflow and went on my merry way.

Today, a couple years later I get another call and the replaced drain top looks like this

WTF!? I pull it out and it has same grey stuff under it with the silicone. Hard as rock. Scratch it with a screwdriver and sniff - no odor. I don't know what it is. I think maybe something is going on below to cause it, so I cut a hole in the ceiling and had a good look - ran hot for a while and then cold to see if it was moving or something. It's absolutely fine underneath - has never leaked. So... my conclusion is that the mysterious grey stuff is getting in there and maybe reacting with silicone or the drain metal and expanding to bend & crack the drain like that? No idea. I've installed many hundreds - maybe thousands - of these Canplas drains and have never seen anything like this. Any ideas?

Old lady. She doesn't wash her hair in the tub. I asked what cleansers she uses - she shows me - it's just bog standard stuff that anyone would use. Nothing out the ordinary.

Oh ya, the tub is NOT flexing. It's rock solid. I set them in topping mix (sand mix). So that's not it.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
On the plus side you can easily melt them out when used with a cast iron tub.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
You're probably right. But they seem to last just fine except in this one house, and in just the one tub. Two defective (bad batch) ones in the same house? Bad luck? Weird.
Probably some acidic soap/creme the person who uses that tub has. Ask how they clean that tub. Toilet bowl cleaner is 5% HCl Acid. Perhaps they put the toilet bowl brush into the tub or use toilet bowl cleaner on the tub.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Probably some acidic soap/creme the person who uses that tub has. Ask how they clean that tub.
I talked about that in first post. She showed me the cleansers she uses. Just basic normal stuff that anyone would use. Nothing unusual. I remember seeing Comet spray cleaner, and another of that type of product.

I agree that since it's just this one tub I'm seeing this on that I'm probably not getting the whole story. But what are ya gonna do? She won't admit to using anything except what I saw. I told her before I left to stop using whatever she was using in that tub and use something else. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
I’ve always been a putty guy. If it is zinc rust like Skoro is saying then water is getting through the silicone.
Nah, zinc expands a lot when it rusts just like aluminum. Think of how rust on your van goes under the paint. It's the same way here. The rust goes under the layer of putty or silicone, regardless of which you choose.

They need to spend more than 6$ on a tub drain. KB has a solid brass one for 17$.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Probably tell her to stop using hydrochloric acid to dissolve the bodies. Good luck.
You're thinking of Sodium Hydroxide. Bases dissolve bodies much better than acids. Look up "Sodium Hydroxide assisted decomposition".

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Of course some acids like Phosphoric which is found in Cola sodas, will readily dissolve certain parts of your body such as Teeth.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Someone’s been doing their homework! I stick to “Forensic Files” for tips.
I just pay attention and pick up stuff like that along the way.

I recall some documentary on The History Channel years ago about a forensic research group at a university. They had a patch of semi-wooded area where donated bodies would be dumped/buried in several different ways. One of the methods was putting sodium hydroxide on a body. They would study the decomposition of the bodies for years. Then when a victim was found they could refer to these studies and estimate how long prior the body had been dumped.

I also recall some serial killer putting bodies in 55 gallon drums with sodium hydroxide to break them down. Then he could pour them into the river where they'd be unrecognizable.

There was also an episode of TV about a place where they strip bodies of animals down to skeletons. One of the steps was sodium hydroxide.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts