Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone still use these ?

You know the little brass nose cones that you can sweat on to a roll oof 3/8 tubing to make your own speedys...

Anyone still use these, They just came to mind and I figured I would ask.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Anyone still use these ?

You know the little brass nose cones that you can sweat on to a roll oof 3/8 tubing to make your own speedys...

Anyone still use these, They just came to mind and I figured I would ask.
I have no clue what your talking about, got a picture?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
OMG, The guys I started under exclusively used sweat on nose cones back in the late 80's. I did not think any other world existed until 1991. When we needed trim finish like chrome or the ever infamous polished brass, we would sand the living tar out of the tip of the cp or pb tubing and use a liquid flux we got from southern specialty. For closet supplies they bought what we called spaghetti tubing. It was 5' sticks of cp tubing and we used brass and rubber washers.

The sweat on nose cones can come in handy, but with the quality of todays pre-made supplies they are most likely at the same graveyard as the wagon wheel.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OMG, The guys I started under exclusively used sweat on nose cones back in the late 80's.

hey are most likely at the same graveyard as the wagon wheel.
So True, I just wanted to see how many people remember them and if they actually used them, not to many will remember those things,

I tried to find a picture online but couldn't :yes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
nose cones aka nose pieces

Absolutely the best thing since sliced bread, I keep them in the copper fitting bin for use where chrome is not needed and various custom lengths are useful, such as inside the kitchen cabinet or vanity cabinet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am a fairly new plumber but love the old school ways. I had a problem a couple years ago where they moved the sink at the last second. Found these nose cones and have kept a couple in my van ever since. very handy

·
new nickname:Quaker State
1,204 Posts
I started out using copper tubing for supply lines using the infamous cone washer and friction ring. Then as times changed, I started using braided flex on all hook up's untill a friend of mine told me about pex supplies with the bulb already attached. They come in various lengths and are much cheaper and I have never had a problem with one yet. I do still use braided flex to connect to dishwasher or icemaker, still think they are great,, beats using copper at todays prices.

·
Registered
71 Posts
speaking of different supplies... last year I was changing out three toilets for a friend of mine that owns a large trucking shop. As plumbers we seem to hear water running a mile away, and I noticed a braided supply had bursted underneath a sink. Nice guy that I am, I changed it with those grey pex supplies. He called me up a couple months later and told me I flooded his shop, well in reality the pex supply burst and one of the workers was right there and shut off the water. What do you think this was caused from? I was thinking maybe a faulty PRV or the lines were getting to cold because it was backing onto an outside wall. He sold the shop the shop so I probably wont have to go back there but just curious if anyones seen this before.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Absolutely the best thing since sliced bread, I keep them in the copper fitting bin for use where chrome is not needed and various custom lengths are useful, such as inside the kitchen cabinet or vanity cabinet.
Nice, I am glad someone agrees and remembers them :)

I am a fairly new plumber but love the old school ways. I had a problem a couple years ago where they moved the sink at the last second. Found these nose cones and have kept a couple in my van ever since. very handy

Ya, they are great for custom stuff on the go for sure, roll of 3/8 and some nose cones the sink can be anywhere :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts