Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Plumbing since 1974
Plumbing and light HVAC
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sharing my personal, grumpy old guy perspective here.
I am mostly retired. 70 years old and don't hardly/really need to work.
New year's eve afternoon sad case of single mom without heat on a Noritz CB 199DV.
I was just going to do a quick troubleshoot with tech support in case it was easy.
Wasn't easy, and had to come back another day when Noritz tech level 1 would be fully staffed.
The Monday, put my number on the 'call back' queue and gave up after two hours.
Finally the next day got through and went through all the analysis to conclude as I had that it was the trhee way valve. Noritz did send a full kit to deal with it for no charge even at 6 years old.
I am here to say: about 6 hours and not worth the effort. Lots of strain and pain.
Stupid design, unfriendly assembly methodology where you are supposed to pull parts sideways and up at the same time, all the way in the back after you've taken hours to get to that far back location, and had to pull the flue flange, combustion side flange and cut out the pressure relief line.
Yes, for under two thousand they are back in business and thankfull...but I will never do that job again.
The rebuild kit makes a few changes so you don't have to remove the flue collars NEXT time. no thanks.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Yes, for under two thousand they are back in business and thankfull...but I will never do that job again.
:oops:

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I can't do Noritz. Tech support is next day or 2, whenever they can get back to you. A few honest minutes of trouble shooting then it's sell a new one. Replaced one the other day with a navien and we have 2 more this spring if they keep coding out.

·
Plumbing since 1974
Plumbing and light HVAC
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only and exclusively work on/install Navien water heaters. I mostly stayed away from combis, never really learned hydronics, but did get licensed for forced air as an add on for variety.

·
Plumbing since 1974
Plumbing and light HVAC
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Watched this Navien 3-way valve R&R video just now (see Youtube link below)
Including time to describe and show, the 3-way valve on the Navien is out after EIGHT MINUTES !
It took three hours for me to get the Noritz 3-way because of the stupid engineering design of Noritz, which includes having to remove the entire lid including flue connection + pipe, combustion air connection+pipe and the Pressure relief valve and piping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts