Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an inspection today on a 3' section of 2" pvc that we spliced in with no hub couplings and adapters(17" crawl space, reached it from a hole in the floor). Inspector wanted it tested:eek: and wanted no-hub sealant on the pipe ends :eek:. Never heard of this(the sealant) not in my code book.
Any of you guys:thumbsup:.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
I believe this is what you are looking for.

Mark

Attachments

Reactions: PLUMB TIME

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Well crap! I guess I shoulda posted a photo:laughing:

·
Banned
60 Posts
This inspector is a joke. I would tell the client they will have to pay me more because the inspector is asking for work ABOVE and BEYOND the UPC code. Have the client call first an demand proof of this crap. I have installed HUNDREDS of MILES of NoHub "Literally" and Never EVER have I nor would I use this crap... BS! The directions even say to NOT USE IT ON PVC!!!

I have not lost a challage yet w/ an inspector. Some guys will be bullied, not saying you are but hey. I call BS...
Additionally I can't see your install, there may be circumstances omitted in your text. Testing a 3' long repair to a waste system? I call BS. Hell, does not UPC even allow up to 5' of gas repaired w/o test? and he wants 10' of head ???????????? It is 2" so it is not a sewer outside of foundation whereas one can test just to the top of the CO so it is inside and last time I checked, there is nothing in the code book that says "Running Test" so that means 5PSI of air or 10' of head via UPC yes? LOL, I dunno...something is wrong here...:yes:

What do you mean by Adaptors? Why didn't you use 2" CI x 2" Plastic Mission, or Equal, bands?

Can someone learn me here?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Howdy all.

For those of you on the Ridgid forum, I'm Swade Plumbing there.

I found this thread while looking for the Black Swan No-Hub sealant online.

PVC No hub adapters are recommended by the manufacturer when using a mechanical coupling (ie no-hub coupling) to make the transition between 2 different types of materials. These adapters have a ridge that fits inside the ridges of the no hub coupling. It helps resist slipping. The no hub sealant helps maintain a more effective seal on cast iron (or galvanized) pipe. It's good stuff and I've never seen a joint leak that had it on. Correct that it is not to be used on the PVC end.

We use it a lot in Chicago for repairs.

Not in the code explicitly, but the code states that installations and repairs shall follow the manufacturers recommended guidelines.

·
Illinois Licensed Plumber
4,253 Posts
Howdy all.

For those of you on the Ridgid forum, I'm Swade Plumbing there.

I found this thread while looking for the Black Swan No-Hub sealant online.

PVC No hub adapters are recommended by the manufacturer when using a mechanical coupling (ie no-hub coupling) to make the transition between 2 different types of materials. These adapters have a ridge that fits inside the ridges of the no hub coupling. It helps resist slipping. The no hub sealant helps maintain a more effective seal on cast iron (or galvanized) pipe. It's good stuff and I've never seen a joint leak that had it on. Correct that it is not to be used on the PVC end.

We use it a lot in Chicago for repairs.

Not in the code explicitly, but the code states that installations and repairs shall follow the manufacturers recommended guidelines.
Hi there Swade, good to see you hear. Sorry to have to correct you, but it is in our code that you need to use a no-hub adapter on pvc pipe.

Section 890.330 Special Joints
g) Plastic Pipe to Non-Plastic Pipe Joints. Joints between plastic pipe and non-plastic pipe shall be made only by one of the following methods:

1) Pressure piping.

A) Approved insert fittings (in accordance with Appendix A, Table A).

B) Threaded adaptors.

C) Flanges.

D) Flared fittings.
2) Non-pressure piping - Drain Waste Vent (DWV)

A) Caulked lead joints with caulked adaptors.

B) No-hub soil pipe shielded couplings with approved adaptor having a raised bead.

C) Compression type joints for hub and spigot cast iron pipe.

D) Threaded adaptors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there Swade, good to see you hear. Sorry to have to correct you, but it is in our code that you need to use a no-hub adapter on pvc pipe.
Section 890.330 Special Joints
g) Plastic Pipe to Non-Plastic Pipe Joints. Joints between plastic pipe and non-plastic pipe shall be made only by one of the following methods:
1) Pressure piping.
A) Approved insert fittings (in accordance with Appendix A, Table A).

B) Threaded adaptors.

C) Flanges.

D) Flared fittings.
2) Non-pressure piping - Drain Waste Vent (DWV)
A) Caulked lead joints with caulked adaptors.

B) No-hub soil pipe shielded couplings with approved adaptor having a raised bead.

C) Compression type joints for hub and spigot cast iron pipe.

D) Threaded adaptors.
Hey Ron,
Thanks for the code reference. Does the UPC states this as well? I guess I was referring to the sealant not being explicitly required. :oops:
The inspectors in my neck of the woods want to the sealant though. I agree with them so no complaint here.

On a related note, I tried to get of the black swan sealant (the dark red stuff) some from Ferguson today (ran out last week) and they don't have it in their system! I've tried 4 other supply houses in the last week and nobody has it! The adheisive lube (the black death goo) was all I was able to get, but that's designed for push gaskets (CI) as I understand it.

I used to be able to get this stuff no problem

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yep, just did some No Hub today in Lake Forest, IL where CI is still code. Hands are still stained from the "Black death". We have to use the PVC no hub adapters when we're transitioning but have never used the sealant due to the ribs on the adapters.

I'd bring him the can and challenge him on that one.

3/4

Reactions: njoy plumbing
1 - 14 of 14 Posts