Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
I'm new to this form. I have a question.
The other day I recieved a "no hot water call" on a power vented JW water heater. The problem was, was that there was no "hot water pressure" at the tap itself. Cold was fine. There was no pressure regulator on the cold supply, only a vaccume breaker. A rap on the vaccume breaker solved the problem. I changed out the breaker to a new one and have heard nothing since. My question:
Is there an internal flapper type back check in the cold dip tube to stop hot water migration. I've been told there is but am not convinced. If there is, can the flapper stick and stop cold supply in therebye causing the pressure loss of hot water to the tap outlet? I'm second guessing the vaccume breaker change as being coincidental to the check valve (if there is one) un-sticking.
I see it like this. The vaccume breaker I would think makes sence to the workings of the tank. The induction of air would allow for a non vaccume situation in the tank. On the other hand, think of the thousands of systems out there without vaccume breakers working perfectly well.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
trout lake

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Some heaters have neoprene flapper inserts at the in and out ports while others use heat trap nipples. Heat trap nipples have a ball check in them. Those balls can become siezed. I've also seen them break loose and travel into the hot side causing complete stoppages or partial flow restrictions.

Or it could be that the installing plumber was pissed at the HO and put a penny in one of the lines. If that's the case you'll be back shortly to try and find it:yes:

Hi guys
I'm new to this form. I have a question.
The other day I recieved a "no hot water call" on a power vented JW water heater. The problem was, was that there was no "hot water pressure" at the tap itself. Cold was fine. There was no pressure regulator on the cold supply, only a vaccume breaker. A rap on the vaccume breaker solved the problem. I changed out the breaker to a new one and have heard nothing since. My question:
Is there an internal flapper type back check in the cold dip tube to stop hot water migration. I've been told there is but am not convinced. If there is, can the flapper stick and stop cold supply in therebye causing the pressure loss of hot water to the tap outlet? I'm second guessing the vaccume breaker change as being coincidental to the check valve (if there is one) un-sticking.
I see it like this. The vaccume breaker I would think makes sence to the workings of the tank. The induction of air would allow for a non vaccume situation in the tank. On the other hand, think of the thousands of systems out there without vaccume breakers working perfectly well.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
trout lake

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Some heaters have neoprene flapper inserts at the in and out ports while others use heat trap nipples. Heat trap nipples have a ball check in them. Those balls can become siezed. I've also seen them break loose and travel into the hot side causing complete stoppages or partial flow restrictions.

Or it could be that the installing plumber was pissed at the HO and put a penny in one of the lines. If that's the case you'll be back shortly to try and find it:yes:
I have found seized check balls in heat trap nipples also. Rheem which I usually like for tank type wh, used these for a few years before changing them to the flapper type. Took me about 30 minutes or so to figure out the first time I ever came across it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all you guys. Good points.
As the English would say "your the bees-knees"
tl

protec........maybe for a quarter...never a penny

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
I think you didn't catch what I ment about the penny in the pipe.

Thanks to all you guys. Good points.
As the English would say "your the bees-knees"
tl

protec........maybe for a quarter...never a penny

·
Registered
63 Posts

Yesterday I faced the tame problem with hot water flow restriction. I'll check both in and out ports. Tanks for great tip :)

·
8,104 Posts
Yesterday I faced the tame problem with hot water flow restriction. I'll check both in and out ports. Tanks for great tip :)
An intro is requested from all new members. In case you missed it, here is the link. http://www.plumbingzone.com/f3/.

The PZ is for Plumbing Professionals ( those engaged in the plumbing profession)

Post an intro and tell our members where you are from, yrs in the trade, and your area(s) of expertise in the plumbing field.

This info helps members who are waiting to welcome you to the best plumbing site there is.

We look forward to your valuable input.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Somebody needs to get a clean up done on their website. I quit counting the errors after 2.

Something is a little fishy about this situation. Probably a screwy ip.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
What do you mean Indie?

I'm accusing the absolute of being an imposter. :laughing:

Oh, the website looks alright, except for the grammar and spelling. But the obvious spelling errors in the post make me think that absolute was not the poster, but a spammer.

Over ten years in business and they don't know something that simple.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts