Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced a w/h, and the new install was an American that had the gas control similar to the B-W Icon. So, I kind of liked it and found that the valves can possibly be fitted to the pre flame-guard systems. Got a 50 gal. State in my home, and would like to try out the retro-fit. Anybody tried the retro-fit? Just an experiment for me, and no, I don't want to change to a flame guard in my house. I'll buy a standard 100 gal. first.

·
Hecho In America
4,161 Posts
That's good to hear, Ron. I know of the few I've installed there have been a couple issues, nothing a new Icon didn't solve. But like I was told I think the issues are resolved.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'm with Titan on this one, we've had a few issues and stopped carrying B/W in favor of American, I mean Premier Plus, I mean U.S. Craftmaster, I mean well you get the idea. We will still install B/W if it's a rush job on a non-standard heater situation. But the gas valves and thermopiles have been a little tricky obtaining, and getting credit for.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,389 Posts
Their Problems are probably resolved

I had to switch to Rheem because of the fits that
the ICCON valve was giving me.... Every time I lit one up
I crossed my fingers in prayed it would come on without me
haveing to fight with it...for 30 minutes...

The last one that gave me fits, I was so pissed off that I waited till the customer went out of the room and then I smacked it a few times with my channel locks... then it worked ok:laughing::laughing:

I have also noticed that the bradfords do not last long if they have a water softener ....it seems that all my warranty leakers always have soft water... I guess the sodium is corroding them quicker than they should...

In all honesty, I think that they have finally got most of the bugs worked out of the ICON valve... but I will stick with the Rheems for now...

as far as all those after market add ons you can sell the customer..... they suck.... and no one wants them except for the geeks in California.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
We have installed several BW with the Icon and have had zero problems.

That being said, we just switched to Rheem. I can get a 40 gal. Rheem about 50 bucks cheaper than the BW. I can't find any drop off in quality. We have to repair very few Rheems. I spend most my time ordering pilot assemblys for American,Whirlpool,Craftmaster,Kennmore and AO Smith water heaters

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
We have installed several BW with the Icon and have had zero problems.

That being said, we just switched to Rheem. I can get a 40 gal. Rheem about 50 bucks cheaper than the BW. I can't find any drop off in quality. We have to repair very few Rheems. I spend most my time ordering pilot assemblys for American,Whirlpool,Craftmaster,Kennmore and AO Smith water heaters
The Ultra Low Nox Rheems have a glass vial akin to a fire sprinkler in the burner chamber as a safety device. If the glass vial breaks, a door for incoming combustion air closes shutting down the heater. Good luck with that warranty call.

·
I'm right your wrong
3,801 Posts
The glass vial can be replaced with any non combustable object the same lenght, like a screw. :whistling2:

·
I'm right your wrong
3,801 Posts
Installed a customer provided gas water heater yesterday. It was a Whirlpool, it had the new electronic thermostat on it like the ion.

The new Whirlpools have a thermopile, the old ones were a pile.

I told him and wrote on the invoice no warranty on customer provided water heater and got him to sign next to it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Status LED! No 120v needed. Can remove valve w/o draining tank. THis was on a BW PV I did a month ago, nice set up.

True....true.....

But if you have an issue with the thermistor resistance values in the thermal well, then you have to drain the tank or better yet, pull a vacuum on it and replace it on the fly.

Had one last week, the resistance values told the Icon that the water was 120 degrees F even though my thermometer and the client's hands said 201 Degrees!!:eek:

And I think you still need 120V for the venter. The line voltage wiring goes through the Icon (which is different from the standard Icon on the atmospheric units) and acts as a ignition module as well as having all of the safety interlocks going through the control.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I'm with Titan on this one, we've had a few issues and stopped carrying B/W in favor of American, I mean Premier Plus, I mean U.S. Craftmaster, I mean well you get the idea. We will still install B/W if it's a rush job on a non-standard heater situation. But the gas valves and thermopiles have been a little tricky obtaining, and getting credit for.
Sounds like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire to me... :whistling2:

The only Flame Guard I will ever install is a customer supplied one... :yes:

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Sounds like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire to me... :whistling2:

The only Flame Guard I will ever install is a customer supplied one... :yes:
I agree. I install nothing but american when it's electric. But their gas units suck big time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts