Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
Danny,

If you can try and find the Plumbers Local and start there. If you don't care for the Union contact the PHCC for San Diego and ask them about their apprentices program.

Good luck-Mark

BTW: You will probably be asked to leave the site as this site is for professional plumbers.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
I dont know ToUtahNow, we have had a few who were trying to get into plumbing trade here before. Most of it depends on their additude wether they stay or get booted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont know ToUtahNow, we have had a few who were trying to get into plumbing trade here before. Most of it depends on their additude wether they stay or get booted.
It's up to you guys--I respect it if you guys don't want people popping in and out asking new questions. I am just trying to get into the field and want as much information as possible. I'm cruising the threads either way!! :thumbup:

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
I believe bringing in prospects is a needed service and worthwhile. I just didn't know whether it fits in with Nathan's rules.

Mark

·
master of disaster
758 Posts
it says- professional plumbers only,he has no knowlage for us,i am glad to see he is interested in learning the plumbing trade.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I don't see a problem with a new members inquiring on how to enter/get into the plumbing profession.

Reactions: Airgap

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
it says- professional plumbers only,he has no knowlage for us,i am glad to see he is interested in learning the plumbing trade.
I don't know about this no knowledge stuff. I have been on jobs where I couldn't figure out what was going on and a new apprentice would blubber out an idea and he was right. Of course I would slap him after the ho left for making me look bad. The thing is I was thinking of the way I was use to doing it thinking it was the only way. Besides he is young maybe he can help us old timers with the more technical computer age stuff. Ok it was more than 2 cents worth what can I say more for your money.:laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, then guys if the people have spoken I'm going to throw my introduction back up here! If I hear I should step aside I will do so at any time--the fact is I am happy to see this. I am craving a job that values hard work, but more importantly respect. Currently, I am 25 and doing well in the corporate world. I couldn't hate it more. I'm having my first son and it's putting life in perspective, I look at my peers (and more importantly, my bosses) and the fact is they're a bunch of weasels who have never worked a day in their life--I don't want to become like them, much less have my son look up to somebody of their ilk!

So that brings me here. I really wanted to find a job within a union and start working my way up and the more research I do on plumbing the better it sounds. The problem is, I just don't know what I need to do to begin an apprenticeship. I contacted a local union who said they are having an orientation meeting I can attend for information at the end of next month--I was hoping to get started earlier, but at least it's on the horizon. I appreciate ANY information on working towards this industry and getting a foot in the door. I don't have any experience in the trade, but I have great customer service skills, good business instincts, and a passion to learn. I think if given the right opportunity I can become one hell of a plumber. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Alright, then guys if the people have spoken I'm going to throw my introduction back up here! If I hear I should step aside I will do so at any time--the fact is I am happy to see this. I am craving a job that values hard work, but more importantly respect. Currently, I am 25 and doing well in the corporate world. I couldn't hate it more. I'm having my first son and it's putting life in perspective, I look at my peers (and more importantly, my bosses) and the fact is they're a bunch of weasels who have never worked a day in their life--I don't want to become like them, much less have my son look up to somebody of their ilk!

So that brings me here. I really wanted to find a job within a union and start working my way up and the more research I do on plumbing the better it sounds. The problem is, I just don't know what I need to do to begin an apprenticeship. I contacted a local union who said they are having an orientation meeting I can attend for information at the end of next month--I was hoping to get started earlier, but at least it's on the horizon. I appreciate ANY information on working towards this industry and getting a foot in the door. I don't have any experience in the trade, but I have great customer service skills, good business instincts, and a passion to learn. I think if given the right opportunity I can become one hell of a plumber. :thumbup:
Im your age bro, I started in the trade when I was 19. Go to the orientation because that is a start. I started out as a laborer before I went and talked to our BA in my local. I knew that I had to get my foot in the door some how.

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Welcome Danny! Why Union? There are other possibilities in the plumbing industry. You mentioned you have "great customer service skills, good business instincts, and a passion to learn. I think if given the right opportunity I can become one hell of a plumber." What about a commission Service Plumber? You may be able to find a job with a local one man shop who is willing to train someone like yourself.

Unions have their place - but they are not the only option. Your intro. leads me to believe you are one who competes to be the best. The Union may be discouraging in that the payscale is based on what level you're on - not necessarily your skill level. Will it drive you nuts if the other Journeyman is making the same wages and his production is 25% less than yours?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome Danny! Why Union? There are other possibilities in the plumbing industry. You mentioned you have "great customer service skills, good business instincts, and a passion to learn. I think if given the right opportunity I can become one hell of a plumber." What about a commission Service Plumber? You may be able to find a job with a local one man shop who is willing to train someone like yourself.

Unions have their place - but they are not the only option. Your intro. leads me to believe you are one who competes to be the best. The Union may be discouraging in that the payscale is based on what level you're on - not necessarily your skill level. Will it drive you nuts if the other Journeyman is making the same wages and his production is 25% less than yours?
You raise a good point, I guess I do not know as much about each option. My biggest fear is if I do not go union and have a hard time finding opportunities down the road. If I were to become a journeyman plumber outside of a union, is it possible to later join a union at that level? Thanks for giving a strong counterpoint!

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
I do not know about the union side; however, I do know many union shops have guys not working. Union is not a guarantee of work or job security.

IMHO - most unions depend on govt. work. When govt. pulls back, unions suffer. Residential service work is always needed. The best plumbers will have jobs during a recession and the slow production plumbers will starve.

You need to ask yourself, what type of plumbing are you interested in?

Institutional / Commercial / residential / new construction / service & repair / inside vs. outside work / dealing with customers etc.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Also do a lot of research, it varies from area to area as well. Here in Tulsa there is a small union following due to the fierce competition. Not many government contracts going on compared to the private. However, there is quite a few hospitals springing up that do want union labor. It's all a preference and need question. But however you choose, always do your best, train every chance you get and never become complacent for those that do get left behind in this business.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts