Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada, and considering to become a plumber because of its endless opportunities and ability to work independently.

What is the difference between a plumber, steamfitter, gasfitter and sprinklerfitter?

I'm wondering since when I look at PayScale, it is treated as a same occupation. Is that true?

Thanks in advance,

·
Plumbing and Gas SCO
1,437 Posts
Ok, when you take a plumbing apprenticeship you also take second class gas. It allows you to work on up to 400,000 btu appliances.
You can work as a pipefitter if you are a plumber. Steamfitter is a different trade altogether. There is no difference between a pipefitter and a steamfitter, just the name and the requirement to do a different appenticeship. A sprinklerfitter only works on, yuo, sprinklers. This is a different trade yet again.

Take Plumbing, it gives the most jobs. Pipefitting slows down when the construction of new plants dies down. The shutdowns are usually manned by long term employees during slow periods. Sprinklerfitters will be slow when there is no new construction.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Asking since I'm thinking of moving to Alberta, better pay and I don't mind harsh weather. I'll take cold weather over hot weather any day of the week.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, forum has great atmosphere btw, people are friendly and chill, just the way I like them. :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hi, I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada, and considering to become a plumber because of its endless opportunities and ability to work independently.

What is the difference between a plumber, steamfitter, gasfitter and sprinklerfitter?

I'm wondering since when I look at PayScale, it is treated as a same occupation. Is that true?

Thanks in advance,

The lines between trades can be quite strict, or very fuzzy, depending on the union situation and state licensing situation where you are. But a plumber would be considered the person who installs potable water supply lines, fixtures of all types, and the drain waste and vent piping. Also the person who repairs all the above.

Again, the lines may be very fuzzy. In many areas, "plumbers" install the fuel gas piping especiall in residential construction. etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts