Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

New to Game

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  super plumber 
#1 ·
Hello to everyone,

Great site with plenty of posters who know there stuff. I have been lurking in the shadows for a while just reading and absorbing as much info as possible and I wanted to thank everyone for sharing their experiences and extpertese.
I am a newly laid off Master Plumber with about an 70/30 split of new construction/service experience with my old company, however I have done plenty of moonlighting mostly consisting of service and remods.
Since being laid off I have thought long and hard about where I'd like to be five years from now and I keep comming back to wanting to run my own business. In some ways it might seem like right now would be the worst time in the world to try and start a new business with all the bad economic news slapping us in the face 24/7 and even the Plumbing outfits, in my area, that are busy have a hiring hold.

Wouldn't now be the best time to try and start this thing when my prospects of landing a good job aren't that great? Besides this really what I want to do, just don't know if I'd be pissing in the wind at this point. I don't have a huge cash reserve to throw at getting this off the ground and was wondering what your thoughts were on the best places to spend $?

Thanks again for having and being a part of this forum!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi dog,

Welcome to PZ, stick around you will get plenty of replies, you might want to post a new topic under business forum, that would be a better place for asking.

#3 ·
I believe a good start up plumbing business can make it in any economy.

Before asking where to spend my money, I would ask myself "Do I have what it takes to run a business?"

Three requirements - must have:

1. Plumbing Skill - this you have
2. Financial know how - need to know your true costs (hidden expenses)
3. Sales - need to know how to find business

If you cannot do all three (MOST CANNOT), you will need to pay someone for where you are weak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.