Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
NJ Master Plumber
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excited to join and network with other professionals from around the world. My back story is that my whole family was always in some sort of trade. Initially I almost wanted to do electric like my brother, but got into plumbing and found that I enjoyed it.

I did my apprenticeship at a small company and gained alot of experience working directly with the owner who was a excellent guy to learn from. I got my journeyman year completed and went to pursue other opportunities. Eventually I went on to get my master plumbers license in NJ and start my own company.

Now I'm 8 years in the industry. Today most of my time is spent doing service work, drain cleaning and repairs. I also love to install boilers. Occasionally I'll do custom homes but I much more prefer service work.

·
Super Moderator
8,480 Posts
Welcome! Just curious, as licenses are acquired in different ways by each state, New York seems like a cluster fck. How were you able to go out on your own as a journeyman and get your master license? Here you have to be employed by a master to gain the hours needed to take the master test.

·
Registered
NJ Master Plumber
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm out of New Jersey. I had to do a 4 year apprenticeship with 2000hrs a year under a master plumber. While doing 4 years of plumbing class. Then you become a journeyman. After a year of being a journeyman, you're able to apply to take the master plumbers examination. The exam was 3 parts. I didnt think it was too bad passed on the first try. From what I understand nyc is a whole different ball game. I've worked there before with my old boss who had the license in NJ and NYC. Have no desire to ever go back to NYC though

·
Super Moderator
8,480 Posts
I'm out of New Jersey. I had to do a 4 year apprenticeship with 2000hrs a year under a master plumber. While doing 4 years of plumbing class. Then you become a journeyman. After a year of being a journeyman, you're able to apply to take the master plumbers examination. The exam was 3 parts. I didnt think it was too bad passed on the first try. From what I understand nyc is a whole different ball game. I've worked there before with my old boss who had the license in NJ and NYC. Have no desire to ever go back to NYC though
Yeah, the horror stories I hear about NY and especially NYC, I wouldn’t want to be in the trade. Plumbing in SoCal sucks too! So many hack companies!

·
Registered
10,063 Posts
welcome aboard, dont be shy to jump into any thread and post...you will find we like to break balls ..all in fun so dont think your being picked on, just give it right back..any stories professional or personal are welcome....:)

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
In California, plumbing as well as the other trades are licensed by the state. They started the state licensing system in1929 and there are now 44 classifications. We just passed 1 millions licenses registered a couple of years ago.
BTW: Welcome aboard, Wolynge. SRDH speaks the truth. And, he's the worse offender.

·
Registered
10,063 Posts
In California, plumbing as well as the other trades are licensed by the state. They started the state licensing system in1929 and there are now 44 classifications. We just passed 1 millions licenses registered a couple of years ago.
BTW: Welcome aboard, Wolynge. SRDH speaks the truth. And, he's the worse offender.
hey I gota be first in something......

·
Super Moderator
2,092 Posts
Hail your way

1 - 20 of 31 Posts