Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Like that worked! Lol! We have had an increase in diy.
It worked in that we could throw it in their face and end the argument right there. When that banner wasn't mentioned the arguments about who's the dick went on twice as long.

Reactions: Tango

·
Registered
Service Plumber
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Alright alright, I put some GUIDELINES in the intro section. It's the first post as a sticky. This should help a little more for new members. Now where did my wiping lash go, I need to go flog some diy's now? 😈

Wow, I really can make a difference! Momma was right...

·
Registered
9,560 Posts
My head is big enough to take it, don't worry...
here is the perfect example of what im talking about butt hurt people....they join with no real intro and all they want is free info..this bone head joined 11 years ago and check out his post count..less than than the years here..LOL..

·
Registered
Service Plumber
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
here is the perfect example of what im talking about butt hurt people....they join with no real intro and all they want is free info..this bone head joined 11 years ago and check out his post count..less than than the years here..LOL..

Got it...

·
4th year apprentice
399 Posts
I think you all are missing the point, I am not wanting non-plumbers here; I just think that you are chasing away some potentially quailified candidates by not having somewhere that actually states what is expected from new members.
I absolutely love most of the replies to DIY'ers, I get a lot of laughs.
You are 100% right on target, but as you are seeing, you're shoveling schitt against the tide. Your concern has always been my biggest problem with this site too. It amazes me how petty a bunch of bad azz tradesmen can be sometimes, like a little old lady wagging her finger at kids walking on her lawn, while they turn around and tell others that they need to have a thick skin! It looks like you were unfortunate to come on right after the change in formats so "the prime directive" wasn't as obvious, but regardless, you still see the bigger picture. Everyone has different motives for being here, and some do not want to give out too much information. It will only take a few posts to determine if they are involved in the trade or if they are bullschitting.

What kills me about the DIYers is that some guys are so quick to fall over themselves to nag, that they miss out on the opportunity for some real fun. Some are slowly catching on, but it's taken a while. I love nothing better than the idea of posting what seems like a serious reply sending some dope out of his way to find a supply house that isn't next to the mall, to go in and ask for a pipe stretcher or some such thing. But oh, no, we need to point out the "rules", while other rules are broken all the time, or at least pushed to the limits.

I get that it takes balls and nerve to join and very seldom post or contribute for years even, only to come on and ask for help, but who am I to judge or even care about someone elses's motives? I don't have time to bother worrying about that. I am free to reply if I can help, or not, but what is missed is that others may also have the same problem, now or in the future and can learn from the replies. Either you want to help give back to the trade and your fellow plumbers or you don't.

Most guys have more experience than me, so my ability to contribute is limited, but IMO the opportunities are even more limited just because the very guys of which you speak who are just behind me do give up after getting some unforgiving backlash, so I don't even get the opportunity to help guide them through what are still recent experiences for me, that a lot of guys have apparently long since forgotten. I loved to learn from my grandfather, but just because he walked 5 miles to school and 10 back every day, up hill both ways, barefoot through the snow even in July doesn't mean that I have to. Yeah, he wanted me to experience some hardship to give me a good work ethic and what not, and to learn how to appreciate how I have it, but he also didn't wish any more difficulties on me than necessary, and certainly wasn't resentful or envious that I had some things easier than he did. He was actually glad for me! And guess what, I respected and learned from his experience all the more, instead of brushing him off as a miserable old crank.

So enough of my rant. I have some ideas for posts to get shot down!

·
4th year apprentice
399 Posts
Besides, I've always thought that the whole idea of an intro is stupid, IMO. I almost never reply to the new intros. It feels like a desperate need to give and receive affirmation to me, like we're at a feaking AA meeting or something.
Hi, my name is Bob and I'm a plumber.
All together now: Hiiii Bawwwwb. You're wanted here. Well, maybe, we'll let you know when we decide.

·
Registered
9,560 Posts
Besides, I've always thought that the whole idea of an intro is stupid, IMO. I almost never reply to the new intros. It feels like a desperate need to give and receive affirmation to me, like we're at a feaking AA meeting or something.
Hi, my name is Bob and I'm a plumber.
All together now: Hiiii Bawwwwb. You're wanted here. Well, maybe, we'll let you know when we decide.
why? explain your opinion...so you rather have unknown people join and ask all kinds of questions to find out they dont belong down the road??. or are you that lazy not to be able to write a paragraph about yourself?..why are you so scared of an intro??
I have joined lots of forums..Ive never been afraid to join or post..LOL..thats just BS...your statement"I get that it takes balls and nerve to join and very seldom post or contribute for years even, only to come on and ask for help, "...thats complete bull, its the internet..what the hell are you afraid of? the boogyman...LOL...

·
Super Moderator
7,994 Posts
Ok so we got another official reply from admin about the Pro's banner. They won't be putting one up. All those who sign up, THEY ALL RECEIVE a private message with a link to the rules about being a pro and to do an intro. The admin went on to show 3 other places where they need to follow the guide lines. If they post they chose to ignore it!

Line 'em up!. 💀💀💀

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Reactions: Tango

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
4,752 Posts