Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
Service Plumber
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hello to all, I am a residential service plumber with over 35 years experience. I know that sounds like a long time but I still have a lot to learn and I am looking for a place where I can expand my knowledge base and maybe troubleshoot those things that inevitably come along and stump even the best among us.
Your introduction is too short:

In order to join this community you need to demonstrate you are a professional in the trades outlined in the rules. We ask you to post an introduction.

Are you an employee, apprentice, journeyman, business owner?
Tell us if you had to go to trade school. How long?
How many hours or steps(1/2/3/4) before you become a journeyman?
What trade certificate do you have, plumbing, gas, oil, pipe fitter etc.? How did you get them, exams, courses, or free in a cracker jack box?
What about your recent jobs, describe what you actually do and what type of building : houses, high rises, commercial building, institutional, oil refineries, paper mills etc.
Tell us about you, some funny plumbing jobs and or horror stories.
I own my own business.
I learned most of my trade by OJT
I passed being a Journeyman 20+ years ago.
I am a SC licensed plumbing contractor. I applied my trade for 15 years, studied my code books, sat for and passed my exams in 1997. After giving them a few hundred dollars they gave me a pretty piece of paper that says "I are a plumber".
I don't know any other way to describe what type of buildings or what type of work a "residential service plumber" works on that would give any more detail than exactly that. But if it is still to difficult to figure out, I repair any plumbing issues in peoples houses that they might have.
Funny story?: Just this morning I was called out for a sewer inspection and after I sent my camera in 15' I found a pipe that was drill vertically through the sewer, 2' further I found another. After locating I found a sprinkler head directly above the sewer line. The top of the sewer is only about 8" deep. I am still scratching my head over this one.
OH, and by the way, I do tend to be a little sarcastic.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
Service Plumber
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have quoted my first three interactions in order, I am asking why the second quote isn't asked in detail when signing up?

·
Registered
9,562 Posts
I have quoted my first three interactions in order, I am asking why the second quote isn't asked in detail when signing up?
why?? who knows..they just started using this new format of a site a few months ago, it needs some tweaking but thats another pay grade up and is up to the site administators, so the mods give friendly reminders for a good intro...

·
Registered
Service Plumber
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
why?? who knows..they just started using this new format of a site a few months ago, it needs some tweaking but thats another pay grade up and is up to the site administators, so the mods give friendly reminders for a good intro...
From a recent outsiders point-of-view I can debate over the "friendliness" of the reminder. Which is exactly the point of this dialogue; a potential highly experienced "Plumbing Professional" may not recieve this as friendly (I almost didn't) and choose not to join in the forum simply because it is not clearly stated as to what is expected and then everyone else joins in by saying "read the rules" or other chants of disclusion without knowing the individual they are responding to.

·
Registered
9,562 Posts
From a recent outsiders point-of-view I can debate over the "friendliness" of the reminder. Which is exactly the point of this dialogue; a potential highly experienced "Plumbing Professional" may not recieve this as friendly (I almost didn't) and choose not to join in the forum simply because it is not clearly stated as to what is expected and then everyone else joins in by saying "read the rules" or other chants of disclusion without knowing the individual they are responding to.
I guess each person has thier own set of expectations when joining a forum...there have been friendlier reminders for a proper intro , only to have the person joining go complete psycho and meltdown and then banned...
there is no perfect way..some people just feel the rules dont apply to them....in the end may lose potential members..or just prevented an empty suit from joining...and trying to get free info and then never be heard from again, till they need more free info...
this has been going on for years and this seems to be a solution till something better is derived...

·
Super Moderator
8,006 Posts
Like SRDH said, you need thick skin to go far here. Just look at him and Skoro! You haven’t even had enough posts to get into the p&r section. Plumbers, good plumbers razz each other! You obviously made the cut!

·
Registered
Service Plumber
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Like SRDH said, you need thick skin to go far here. Just look at him and Skoro! You haven’t even had enough posts to get into the p&r section. Plumbers, good plumbers razz each other! You obviously made the cut!
I may regret asking but what is the "p&r section"?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Part of the intro process is not only to get the new member a chance to introduce themselves to us but it also gives the forum a chance to introduce ourselves to the new member. There’s a ton of ball busting on this site. Most people post too short intros here i believe it’s what is generally expected. Once the too short intro is posted people are asked to expand a little bit and some jokes are made. If the new guy gets butt hurt over a bit of hazing they probably won’t enjoy themselves here.

·
Registered
Service Plumber
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Part of the intro process is not only to get the new member a chance to introduce themselves to us but it also gives the forum a chance to introduce ourselves to the new member. There’s a ton of ball busting on this site. Most people post too short intros here i believe it’s what is generally expected. Once the too short intro is posted people are asked to expand a little bit and some jokes are made. If the new guy gets butt hurt over a bit of hazing they probably won’t enjoy themselves here.
Finally, an answer that I understand. Thank you.

Reactions: The cable guy

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
What do you not understand about the point of this discussion?, it is okay to "bash" someone for not following the "rules" but only if the rules are known. The "rules" as you call them are unwritten and that is the point of this topic.
You might as well be screaming at a skyscraper that houses "The Man" and expecting him to hear you 50 stories up.

Before the remodel a month ago there used to be a banner at the top of every page stating pros only. When someone wrote short intro we would remind them that we need enough info to see that they really are a plumber. They got rid of the banner because the person who owns the site wants the traffic, whether it's from real plumbers or not.

·
Super Moderator
7,995 Posts
Alright alright, I put some GUIDELINES in the intro section. It's the first post as a sticky. This should help a little more for new members. Now where did my wiping lash go, I need to go flog some diy's now? 😈

·
Super Moderator
8,006 Posts
You might as well be screaming at a skyscraper that houses "The Man" and expecting him to hear you 50 stories up.

Before the remodel a month ago there used to be a banner at the top of every page stating pros only. When someone wrote short intro we would remind them that we need enough info to see that they really are a plumber. They got rid of the banner because the person who owns the site wants the traffic, whether it's from real plumbers or not.

View attachment 126658
Like that worked! Lol! We have had an increase in diy.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts