Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
Service Plumber
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you guys (and gals) have been on this site for a long time and are very familiar with how things are "expected" to be done. As a new member when I first found this forum there was nothing that immediately told me what the expectations of a "proper" introduction was. Only after posting a basic introduction was I advised of what was expected; and to be honest I felt that the request was a little less than friendly but I decided to play along anyway. I totally agree with the concept of "Professional Plumbers Only" and not allowing DIY'ers to participate, I feel like I can improve my knowledge base by being here. However I do wonder how many potential members that could help this community have been chased away because that were not aware that they were doing things exactly as you wanted.
Only after becoming a member did I go through the site and read old posts and get a better idea of what the "rules" are.
Is there some way that this could be made known before a post can even be submitted?
Even on the thread " New Memeber Introductions " it does not ask for the full length autobiography that you expect.
There is a link on that post that says " Introduce Yourself " which takes you right back to the discussion board, perhaps add a questionare on that link.
Not trying to reinvent the wheel, just trying to get smoother rubber on it.
I know that there are those of you out there just waiting to pounce on something like this to show off your witty prowess but I am quickly growing tired of visiting the daycare.
Just try to consider how many actual members are active right now despite what the membership number says. This has the potential to be a really great place to have good discussions with "Professionals".
Please take this as how it is intended, I am not trying to insult anyone.

·
Super Moderator
8,516 Posts
Moved to the right forum.

Generally speaking any plumber, or someone who is in any aspect of the trade can easily sniff out the diy’ers.

This is a question for the Admins, that’s why I moved it.

·
Registered
Service Plumber
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Moved to the right forum.

Generally speaking any plumber, or someone who is in any aspect of the trade can easily sniff out the diy’ers.

This is a question for the Admins, that’s why I moved it.
Thank you

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I’m not sure when it morphed into needing to write an autobiography to join. A basic intro is fine with me. Here was my intro when I joined.

·
Super Moderator
8,516 Posts
I’m not sure when it morphed into needing to write an autobiography to join. A basic intro is fine with me. Here was my intro when I joined.

That’s a perfect intro!

I think he’s basically saying there should be a pop up or something when someone joins saying something about posting an intro describing their involvement with the trade. I think it would be a good idea. Less entertainment, but a good idea. I’m just learning the mod controls, and obviously have no clue about the admin controls. I don’t know if it can be done or not.

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
it seems as of lateley( the last few years) lots of hacks pretending to be plumbers with short intros got in and asked all their questions for free info only to be found out they are NOT plumbers, so a longer intro weeded out most of those and after a new member posts a few times you can tell if they are in the trade or just faking...
but whats the problem with a new member telling us some background info to join and then that lets us ask questions that pertain to the new member...anyone bltching about having to write a few lines about themselves to join a forum and to be active shouldnt even be in question..if your that fukin lazy then piss off and get your free info elsewhere...this last statement is not aimed at SC repair...but others that only post a 1 liner and then usually disappear once asked for more info..

·
Registered
Service Plumber
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it seems as of lateley( the last few years) lots of hacks pretending to be plumbers with short intros got in and asked all their questions for free info only to be found out they are NOT plumbers, so a longer intro weeded out most of those and after a new member posts a few times you can tell if they are in the trade or just faking...
but whats the problem with a new member telling us some background info to join and then that lets us ask questions that pertain to the new member...anyone bltching about having to write a few lines about themselves to join a forum and to be active shouldnt even be in question..if your that fukin lazy then piss off and get your free info elsewhere...this last statement is not aimed at SC repair...but others that only post a 1 liner and then usually disappear once asked for more info..
I totally agree with the long intro, just not aware at the time that it was a requirement. I would like to see it as part of the account set up process and be required before first post can be made.

·
Super Moderator
8,516 Posts
I totally agree with the long intro, just not aware at the time that it was a requirement. I would like to see it as part of the account set up process and be required before first post can be made.
But then again, the fun. Plus PZ is an internet business. They sell spots for advertisements. The more traffic and the more click bait the more income. All, or most forums do this for non paying members. Paying members usually have little to no adds. It’s not terribly expensive to pay for a host and site software depending on what your platform requires. The site owners aren’t paying for this playground for us for free, and like our business, we are in it for profit. PZ is no different.

·
Registered
Service Plumber
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But then again, the fun. Plus PZ is an internet business. They sell spots for advertisements. The more traffic and the more click bait the more income. All, or most forums do this for non paying members. Paying members usually have little to no adds. It’s not terribly expensive to pay for a host and site software depending on what your platform requires. The site owners aren’t paying for this playground for us for free, and like our business, we are in it for profit. PZ is no different.
True, but if you don't have the members then you don't get " clicks ".

Reactions: OpenSights

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
besides we like to torture those that dont follow the site rules..you gotta have fun at someones expense...

·
Registered
Service Plumber
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you all are missing the point, I am not wanting non-plumbers here; I just think that you are chasing away some potentially quailified candidates by not having somewhere that actually states what is expected from new members.
I absolutely love most of the replies to DIY'ers, I get a lot of laughs.

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
I think you all are missing the point, I am not wanting non-plumbers here; I just think that you are chasing away some potentially quailified candidates by not having somewhere that actually states what is expected from new members.
I absolutely love most of the replies to DIY'ers, I get a lot of laughs.
if they are that thin skinned that they get so butt hurt for being asked to follow the rules, then they wont last 1 day here...then they are not qualified if they are puzzies..LOL...this is a non snowflake site....we have a few that stick around and you will figure out who they are soon enough..but in my book, if you cant take a ribbing and return it back..then screw ya, you dont belong....

·
Registered
Service Plumber
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if they are that thin skinned that they get so butt hurt for being asked to follow the rules, then they wont last 1 day here...then they are not qualified if they are puzzies..LOL...this is a non snowflake site....we have a few that stick around and you will figure out who they are soon enough..but in my book, if you cant take a ribbing and return it back..then screw ya, you dont belong....
What do you not understand about the point of this discussion?, it is okay to "bash" someone for not following the "rules" but only if the rules are known. The "rules" as you call them are unwritten and that is the point of this topic.

Reactions: ff22

·
Super Moderator
8,516 Posts

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
What do you not understand about the point of this discussion?, it is okay to "bash" someone for not following the "rules" but only if the rules are known. The "rules" as you call them are unwritten and that is the point of this topic.
the rules are there for the reading if one chooses to make any effort to do so..if not....I cant think for other people, but 99.999999% of the time every forum I ever joined wanted some intro blurb from new members.....so if one wants to go the ignorance excuse for no intro..they can try...
but the rules are there in black and white..🤓🤓🤓

·
Registered
Service Plumber
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Most important:

READ BEFORE POSTING: Welcome To PlumbingZone.com
Again, I go back to my origonal post; No where on the link you posted does it state what the expectations of an intro are.
Case in point, go back to my "New Member Introduction", I posted what I thought was an adequate introduction to someone I just met only to recieve a list of demands of what is expected in that intro. I am simply asking that the list of demands be given first.

·
Registered
Service Plumber
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the rules are there for the reading if one chooses to make any effort to do so..if not....I cant think for other people, but 99.999999% of the time every forum I ever joined wanted some intro blurb from new members.....so if one wants to go the ignorance excuse for no intro..they can try...
but the rules are there in black and white..🤓🤓🤓
the rules are there for the reading
WHERE??????

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
Again, I go back to my origonal post; No where on the link you posted does it state what the expectations of an intro are.
Case in point, go back to my "New Member Introduction", I posted what I thought was an adequate introduction to someone I just met only to recieve a list of demands of what is expected in that intro. I am simply asking that the list of demands be given first.
here

We want to take a moment to welcome you to the community!

We truly do look forward to getting to know you and interacting with you in the forums. :)

Please take a moment to introduce yourself and tell us a little about you.

Which plumbing related trade do you work in? Make sure to add it to your account settings. (required)

Click on your avatar in the upper right-hand corner of the site. Click Accounts Settings.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts