Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Licensed Plumber
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everyone? I actually created this account months ago and just saw that we need to introduce ourselves. I'm from NJ and got into plumbing in 2008 during the recession and have been working mainly commercial new construction. I've tried getting out of the business by dabbling with college and anything else and ended up getting hooked up with a good mechanical contractor and I'm back as a plumber. I finished a 5 year apprenticeship, worked a few years as a journeyman, and got my NJ Master Plumbers License a year and a half ago. I've always entertained the idea of starting my own business. I would like to get into the residential service niche although I have only worked in commercial new construction/high-rises. We'll see.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
What's up everyone? I actually created this account months ago and just saw that we need to introduce ourselves. I'm from NJ and got into plumbing in 2008 during the recession and have been working mainly commercial new construction. I've tried getting out of the business by dabbling with college and anything else and ended up getting hooked up with a good mechanical contractor and I'm back as a plumber. I finished a 5 year apprenticeship, worked a few years as a journeyman, and got my NJ Master Plumbers License a year and a half ago. I've always entertained the idea of starting my own business. I would like to get into the residential service niche although I have only worked in commercial new construction/high-rises. We'll see.
Welcome, glad to have you ;)

Do they let you use pvc for drains?

·
Registered
Licensed Plumber
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome, glad to have you ;)

Do they let you use pvc for drains?
Thank you. PVC is legal in NJ. I rarely use it in commercial and highrises. It's almost always used in houses though. On highrises we do a lot of both. Stacks will be cast iron and piped off for each unit is sometimes pvc. Risers will be copper and piped out for each unit using Uponor.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Why bother doing the stacks in cast iron?

·
Registered
Licensed Plumber
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why bother doing the stacks in cast iron?
I'm thinking because it's "quiet pipe" and also maybe the GC would like to keep plastic in floor penetrations minimal for fire protection. Usually with highrises we use the sovent system where the stacks are always cast iron. I do remember doing a 13 story building in all PVC and they didn't use the sovent system.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I'm thinking because it's "quiet pipe" and also maybe the GC would like to keep plastic in floor penetrations minimal for fire protection. Usually with highrises we use the sovent system where the stacks are always cast iron. I do remember doing a 13 story building in all PVC and they didn't use the sovent system.
I was waiting for you to say it. You know your drain pipe is garbage when the only reason it's used is because it doesn't light on fire. And it's pretty much a load of hogwash. In a modern commercial building plastic drains melting and allowing air to the fire is an extremely small risk.

Explain to me how all plastic is worse than iron stack with plastic runs? If anything having only an iron stack is even worse because it will remain standing as a chimney when the plastic melts off. Plastic drain pipes tend to melt shut in fires and would actually prevent air flow through them.

If you didn't glue the pvc, how did you join it?

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Super Moderator
8,836 Posts
I was waiting for you to say it. You know your drain pipe is garbage when the only reason it's used is because it doesn't light on fire. And it's pretty much a load of hogwash. In a modern commercial building plastic drains melting and allowing air to the fire is an extremely small risk.

Explain to me how all plastic is worse than iron stack with plastic runs? If anything having only an iron stack is even worse because it will remain standing as a chimney when the plastic melts off. Plastic drain pipes tend to melt shut in fires and would actually prevent air flow through them.

I was wondering where you were going. I haven’t done any high rise repipes, but there is a code about x# of floors and cast is used. Never thought about fire code applying to branch lines acting as a chimney!

I don’t think our new member is a fake at this time. Code is different, especially in the NE.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts

go look up fire code and code for tall buildings...you seem to want to be the know it all....we get someone that posts a proper intro and you start your bullschit to chase him away...

·
Registered
Licensed Plumber
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Lol I didn't realize there was a response. I thought I had notifications turned on for this thread. No need to get butthurt by my answer. I don't know the exact reason why stacks are done in iron not plastic. Hence why I started the sentence with "I'm thinking". It's one of those things I never learned but observed on the job. All I know is some GCs want iron going through the floors on some jobs. For example, hooking up traps for tubs and showers. If the branches off the stacks are also cast iron, we do the offset for the tub up high in pvc and try to put in a piece of cast iron before hooking up to the trap. Also some jobs I went straight plastic to the trap and if you are asking how do I connect pvc to iron if I can't glue it, we use a no hub coupling. Do you want the brand and parts number? TBH I don't know the parts number but we usually use husky bands because they're a little deeper.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Lol I didn't realize there was a response. I thought I had notifications turned on for this thread. No need to get butthurt by my answer. ..........Do you want the brand and parts number?............
You're new so part of my line of questioning was just breaking balls and trying to see what you knew and if you were legit. The rest was just a diatribe about why no-hub cast iron is garbage.

The internet is a confusing place, especially when you start taking people at their word ;)

Reactions: Tango
1 - 12 of 12 Posts