Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
217 Posts
Wear boots and take a measuring tape and a torpedo level, a lot of days that’s all you’ll need and be responsible for supplying for the next few months or years even. Welcome to the trade, from one apprentice to another.

Plumbers make a lot of money from the shovel. I think most guys want to see you earn the right to be taught the knowledge that they possess. That was hard for me to swallow at first but the more Ilearn the more I understand it.

· Registered
Plumbing
2,433 Posts
That might be information overload, at least it would be for me!
He needs to learn the definitions and principles. The definitions differ from Websters.
The principles are the foundation for everything else to be built upon.

The definitions will allow him to ask proper questions and understand the answer.

That’s how I started anyway.

The guy a learned from (RIP) was a commercial rough in expert. He ran a fab shop that prefabricated everything from Hotels to fire stations and Chinese restaurants. I had to learn the lingo before I could understand what he was trying to teach me.

· Registered
Plumbing
2,433 Posts
The thing is when you join up here, for the first few weeks I went to bed crying.
My wife would ask me “ what’s wrong Terry ? “ and I would say “ nothing “ but she knew that something was bothering me.

So when I’d calm down and quit crying she would ask “ Terry are the guys on the Plumber forum picking on you “ and I would just nod me head “ yes” and she would assure Terry that the guys are only having fun with the new Chad.

Eventually you get over it and things get better. If you ever need anyone to talk to, Like I do, you can message me or go to the bad part of the city and pick up a lady and y’all can sit and talk behind a grocery store in your van and talk……

Glad to have you Bro, hang in there 👍

· Registered
Res. Plumbing
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He needs to learn the definitions and principles. The definitions differ from Websters.
The principles are the foundation for everything else to be built upon.

The definitions will allow him to ask proper questions and understand the answer.

That’s how I started anyway.

The guy a learned from (RIP) was a commercial rough in expert. He ran a fab shop that prefabricated everything from Hotels to fire stations and Chinese restaurants. I had to learn the lingo before I could understand what he was trying to teach me.
Thanks. The lingo seems to be a steep learning curve.

· Registered
Res. Plumbing
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The thing is when you join up here, for the first few weeks I went to bed crying.
My wife would ask me “ what’s wrong Terry ? “ and I would say “ nothing “ but she knew that something was bothering me.

So when I’d calm down and quit crying she would ask “ Terry are the guys on the Plumber forum picking on you “ and I would just nod me head “ yes” and she would assure Terry that the guys are only having fun with the new Chad.

Eventually you get over it and things get better. If you ever need anyone to talk to, Like I do, you can message me or go to the bad part of the city and pick up a lady and y’all can sit and talk behind a grocery store in your van.

Glad to have you Bro, hang in there 👍
Lol appreciated

· Registered
103 Posts
I would get as much seat time as you can on the drain machines, and ask your master why things are done the way they are when you dont know, waterproof thourogoods are great boots plus one on the flashlight, and stretch everyday before and after work.

· Registered
Plumbing
2,433 Posts
Don’t pick up stuff that’s too heavy just to be a bad ass.

Be careful of bare electrical wire, old wire and homeowner done death traps.

Learn how to set up ladders so they’re safe.

Keep the van clean. Check the tire pressure. Put things back where they go. Keep tools clean. Double check that all the tools are put away and not left on the job.

If y’all carry pipe on top of your truck make sure it stays secure. Have them teach you how to secure pipe to a pipe rack.

· Registered
Plumbing
2,433 Posts
I had a guy that worked for me……

He was either hungry, eating or had to take a crap at all times.

Don’t be that guy. Bring your drinks and snacks and whatever. Don't always be asking to stop at a store.

Terry be hating that.

Always wear clean clothes to work. And boots or shoes. I suggest having a full set of extra clothes and shoes at all times.

Make sure your shoes are clean when you enter homes and or wear shoe covers.

Don’t comment on anything the customer has. Boats, cars, toys, etc. if something comes up missing, you’ll get the Blame.

Don’t look through womens panty drawers.

· Registered
50 Posts
Welcome, and enjoy the ride! You've picked one of the best careers in America right now, for real.
Cheap tools are OK for a while, after a while get real tools, I like Milwaukee brand.
Be Proactive-if I have to tell you what to do every 5 minutes, that's a problem. Cleaning up is a big part of your job as a helper, don't ever go to the truck without taking some trash with you, or asking what anyone else might need you to get.
I wish you th the best of luck and look forward to hearing some stories soon!
-Tim Whistler

Tim Whistler Plumbing and Gas Fitting

1 - 20 of 42 Posts