Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my master license so I guess the next step is to register my business name. First I need a name. I'm curious what your opinions are on this topic?
A few years ago I was behind a "Ben Franklin Plumbing" truck and I thought they are probably using his name and likeness for completely free because it's in the public domain. I thought this would be a good idea to steal. Why not just use the name of some historical figure? Name recognition. It's like having a celebrity spokesperson free of charge.
Even if you don't go that route I would think you could still use name recognition with modern day celebrities that have the same last name as many other normal citizens like "Pitt."
Also any other advice would be appreciated.

·
4th year apprentice
655 Posts
That's all well and good, and not a bad idea, except what are you going to do when some asks you if your name is Ben Franklin, or are you related to Brad Pitt? When the answer is no, some people may be turned off by the use of the gimick, and wonder what other tricks you have up your sleeve. At least the astute ones will. Some just don't or are too stupid to care. In the end, the name does not matter all that much, for the most part, it's your reputation and quaiity service. I do sometimes wonder why some guys will name their company Such and Such Mechanical. To me as a plumber I wonder what the hell they actually do. Plumbing? HVAC? Auto mechanics? I don't know how they expect the average homeowner customer to know. Some guys like to name their company after something that is meaningful to them or their heritage, like Shamrock Plumbing or Fleur de Lis, but there are still some people out there who will say that they don't want no damn **** or Frenchman in my house. You don't want to limit even one potential customer at least at the outset. Their money is as good as anyone elses. There are some catchy names out there that are memorable, and that is great. A lot of women will fall for a logo with a cute puppy. One local company the guy has German Shepherds and his ads always feature a nice example of an adult dog. That actually appeals to me more than some sappy thing, but I am not the average customer either. When I see a truck that says Matt Maves Plumbing that says to me that the guy is proud of his name and reputation enough to put it on his truck. It gives a personal touch that there is a human being, single owner behind the company, not some mysterious owner or owners like are behind Heritage Family Home Services. It is straight forward, no BS. JMO

·
Registered
Plumber
159 Posts
I have thought about names/branding for years. Northern va is a plethora of companies and damned it just about every name you could think of has been taken.

Historical names in my opinion would have to be selective. For example Hitlers Hardware probably wouldn't fly although you may call out to a certain client base.

Maybe BLM plumbing if you never want to see a conservative or MAGAPLuMB if you never want to deal with a Karen.

My recommendation would to be to suit it to you as a person. What do you specialize in? What makes you smile. Your name should Express how you as a person see your job. I agree with using your own name. Maves has a certain ring to it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
One of our customers is a marketing agent, I asked him about this a month ago. In surveys people are most likely to see companies which use the owners real last name as the most trustworthy.

Or you could pick some corporate sounding, bullschit name, so everyone knows the kind of guy you are. The kind of guy who isn't willing to put his own name on his work.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I use my last name and love the community support. I sponsor lots of local schools and events and have for years and years. People go out of their way to recommend my company.

I have 5 vans on the road so it doesn't have to be you in the van behind the name.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
... or something that starts with an A so you are first in the yellow pag....... oh, wait...
Alcoholic-Rooter

First in the phone book and accurate!!!!

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Why not a Rooter in their name ? I have worked for some good Rooter CO'S and some bad ones
Probably because the majority has proven themselves to be bad. No shame in generalizing as its a survival instinct. The good ones just have to work a little harder to prove themselves first.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Plumber
159 Posts
Why not a Rooter in their name ? I have worked for some good Rooter CO'S and some bad ones
Agreed! I've worked for companies named after the owner... worst company I've ever seen.. idk if we are allowed to say the names.. but damn it was a **** show.

Nexstar and performance based dispatch took the fun out of it.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
A couple of reasons.

For one, Roto-Rooter is a franchise and the biggest "Rooter" brand. Some franchises are run like schit, to the point that their name is mud. Why would you want to seem like one of those guys?

Second, why pick a generic name like "Rooter"? Pick something that's unique and will stand out.

Third, your last name is YOUR NAME. If you can't put your name on your work you clearly have a problem.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
Plumber
159 Posts
A couple of reasons.

For one, Roto-Rooter is a franchise and the biggest "Rooter" brand. Some franchises are run like schit, to the point that their name is mud. Why would you want to seem like one of those guys?

Second, why pick a generic name like "Rooter"? Pick something that's unique and will stand out.

Third, your last name is YOUR NAME. If you can't put your name on your work you clearly have a problem.
My last name is very common... also I was adopted and dont particularly care for the family name.

Len the plumber was owned by a guy who sold out to corporate. Horrid company.

I worked for a roto Rooter and frankly they were decent compared to some.

Branding is a hell of a thing. It's all a personal choice. He could name it after his home town with pride. Like foot ball teams..as long as he stands for the anthem

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,769 Posts
I have always thought it would be a good idea to name your business after the city or area you live in....

Like Dodje city plumbing.com... the reason being with the internet searches it might put you high up
in the local rankings.....

I thought about buying the domain name indianapolis plumbing.com a long time ago but someone else
beat me to this

thoughts??

·
4th year apprentice
655 Posts
Marketing is a fascinating science, one that I will go into in one of my next 7 lives, but like meteorology, although there is a lot of science behind it, there are also a lot of things that we don't any may never know about what makes people choose what they do or what they are drawn to. You could spend a lifetime of frustration trying to figure out what attracts people, and companies spend millions doing just that, or you could just get down to work and, again, let your skills and reputation do the marketing for you.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,769 Posts
Marketing is a fascinating science, one that I will go into in one of my next 7 lives, but like meteorology, although there is a lot of science behind it, there are also a lot of things that we don't any may never know about what makes people choose what they do or what they are drawn to. You could spend a lifetime of frustration trying to figure out what attracts people, and companies spend millions doing just that, or you could just get down to work and, again, let your skills and reputation do the marketing for you.

Well, this sounds all real good, but in reality a good advertising gimmick can go a long way
and make the game much easier to win.....with less digging.

My father and grandfather thought the same thing as you do and believed word of mouth was the
best approach to getting business... Eventually all their old customers died off or moved away and they could
not figure out why all their descendants did not give a crap who their parents used...
As a kid, I watched this bullshi/ mindset go down first hand and as work began to dry up we seemed to be willing to take on some pretty god awful nasty jobs just to keep busy.... We basically became a bunch of dumb ass
Germans in dirty overalls willing to dig or bust up concrete for "wages"---- what fun that was...

Do you remember the days of Yellow Pages, and how a lot of plumbers wanted to be on the
first page of the book.?????.... They would name their company AAAAAcme plumbing because most
suckers who did not know a plumber would go to the first page of the book... We had only our one line name
in the book and because our name began with a W, that put us in the back of the plumbing section.

the power of
advertising cannot be understated..... you can find all sort of articles about this and how
to appeal to the females and folks with spendable income and make your life easy peasy.....

or you can just pick up a shovel and beat your brains out.
.. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts