Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Plumber
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody. Im Eric in Washington state. In the North Central part of the state. Its very rural here and the valley where I live is mostly home to part time residents. I've got about a 1000 hours of experience as a Trainee and have worked for a one man operation doing everything: new construction (groundwork, rough-in, trim out) service work (drain cleaning, clogs, replacing fixtures, etc), and remodels, stocking, loading out the van for jobs, fielding calls for service requests and scheduling. Half of the residents around here are on wells and septic rather than city services with all the associated problems of hard water.

I've pivoted to the trade after a semi retirement from office (yeah Im older, late 50's) as the area is sort of turning into a Billionaire Wilderness (high real estate values, driving out locals who actually work for a living). There are only 3.5 journeyman plumbers in the whole valley (thats a story in itself) and they covet their workloads. I know seems odd for someone like me to want to enter the trades so late in life, but I think you'll agree its satisfying work and my community here needs dependable tradesmen.

Anyway, I've joined here hoping to make some connections and not make as many of the rookie mistakes I know lie in front of me as I pursue my full license. Cheers

·
I aint CPV see in it?
Plumbing
5,317 Posts
Hello Everybody. Im Eric in Washington state. In the North Central part of the state. Its very rural here and the valley where I live is mostly home to part time residents. I've got about a 1000 hours of experience as a Trainee and have worked for a one man operation doing everything: new construction (groundwork, rough-in, trim out) service work (drain cleaning, clogs, replacing fixtures, etc), and remodels, stocking, loading out the van for jobs, fielding calls for service requests and scheduling. Half of the residents around here are on wells and septic rather than city services with all the associated problems of hard water.

I've pivoted to the trade after a semi retirement from office (yeah Im older, late 50's) as the area is sort of turning into a Billionaire Wilderness (high real estate values, driving out locals who actually work for a living). There are only 3.5 journeyman plumbers in the whole valley (thats a story in itself) and they covet their workloads. I know seems odd for someone like me to want to enter the trades so late in life, but I think you'll agree its satisfying work and my community here needs dependable tradesmen.

Anyway, I've joined here hoping to make some connections and not make as many of the rookie mistakes I know lie in front of me as I pursue my full license. Cheers
Want to move to florida? I need a service manager.

·
Registered
Plumber
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Want to move to florida? I need a service manager.

Sorry , mate. Ive done too much office work in my past and it just doesn't provide the rewards (emotional or financial) that I'm looking for. I can stomach a lot (sewer gases, sewer water, confined spaces, heat, cold, etc) but I just don't think Im could move myself and my wife away from out little slice of paradise here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts