Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with these new heat pumps that hook to the top of an existing water heater tank and heat by a coil placed in the tank boasting big energy savings and $300 tax credit? The price seems ok at about $600 cost before tax and the install is easy.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
AirTap---airgenerate.com

efficiency 258%
energy factor 2.11
1st hour rating on a 40 gal tank 43 gal
7000 btu
48 lbs
plugs int 110

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
In the summer would seem like a good idea having the cool, dehumidified air blow out of the unit. However, in the winter, wouldn't this just cause your heat to kick on more? Thereby, eating into your overall savings of heating the water with the system.

In the summer, the incoming water in the south is already warm. So, the water heater does not have to do a lot of heating and the insulation does a fine job of maintaining the water temperature.

I'd imagine water heater warranties would be voided if you use this device unless it was approved by the water heater manufacturer. I cannot see them doing this, voiding warranties is a bigger money maker for them.

Seems to me that even if it worked as they claim (are any claims by manu. 100% accurate?), the recovery cost would be a long time.

I wouldn't have one in my home, so I wouldn't sell it to a homeowner either.

Interesting concept though.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
There is nothing new about this...

In your neighborhood they may have some use...
In the north end of the country they are useless!

Years ago the power company here was tooting the idea and they launched in to a study on them which they never finished...:whistling2:
The installed units are all about dead...
Saw one recently it was dead...

They couldn't cook the books hard enough up here to make them look good...:laughing:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Anything that claims to be 258% efficient is a scam.

Look at the specs on this:
Output: 7000 Btu's
1st hour: 43 gal
max temp: 135

How do they manage 43 gallons of hot water from 7000 btus? Does it start at 100 degrees?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Funny thing

The funny thing is when I enter my zip code to look up who's installing these in my area, they are all handymen.:laughing::laughing::laughing:(three stooges plumbing)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts