Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Plumber
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, joined the forum a while ago but never made a post.

I’m 27, been working in mostly new construction plumbing since I was 17 ( a little over 10 years now. Been working for the same company with my dad.
My pops has been my master plumber that I've learned almost everything from. He’s been working in the business since 1995, although it’s always been working for someone else.

We've done some commercial, industrial, tract homes, apartments, condos, mixed-used, podium decks. Mostly focusing on really high end homes. Went from digging ditches to doing almost everything on the projects, from groundwork to move in ready just not the billing.

Got my own license in 2021 but didn't do anything with it. Been feeling more and more held back at work. Now I'm getting ready to start taking on my own work until I can get enough for my pops to join in. We've got a good network and a great reputation around the area for high quality work. My boss is 63, says he's ready to retire soon (has been saying for the last 2 years) he's even stated that one day I'd have my own company. We went from a company of 28, down to 14 after the last 2 years, So either way I've got to get ready for a change.

I've been scouring the forums, reading on others experiences trying to get as much information as possible while I set everything up.
Appreciate all of the business advice, and just things to keep in mind when bidding any work or repairs.

Hoping to learn something new from y'all!

·
Super Moderator
11,482 Posts
Excellent intro. Good to have you. I got my masters in '94, went out on my own in '97 and never looked back. Usually 10 employees, I've never grown much beyond that.
I’ve learned a lot from my master. Not just plumbing, but business as well. At his peak he had eight guys and five trucks on the road. Said during that time he hardly did any plumbing, he was just a fireman running around putting out fires. I’ve ran two companies for weeks at a time while the boss was away. I for one don’t ever want an employee, my kid is an exception as plumbing and drain cleaning is part of his seventh grade curriculum.

·
Super Moderator
11,482 Posts
Hey everyone, joined the forum a while ago but never made a post.

I’m 27, been working in mostly new construction plumbing since I was 17 ( a little over 10 years now. Been working for the same company with my dad.
My pops has been my master plumber that I've learned almost everything from. He’s been working in the business since 1995, although it’s always been working for someone else.

We've done some commercial, industrial, tract homes, apartments, condos, mixed-used, podium decks. Mostly focusing on really high end homes. Went from digging ditches to doing almost everything on the projects, from groundwork to move in ready just not the billing.

Got my own license in 2021 but didn't do anything with it. Been feeling more and more held back at work. Now I'm getting ready to start taking on my own work until I can get enough for my pops to join in. We've got a good network and a great reputation around the area for high quality work. My boss is 63, says he's ready to retire soon (has been saying for the last 2 years) he's even stated that one day I'd have my own company. We went from a company of 28, down to 14 after the last 2 years, So either way I've got to get ready for a change.

I've been scouring the forums, reading on others experiences trying to get as much information as possible while I set everything up.
Appreciate all of the business advice, and just things to keep in mind when bidding any work or repairs.

Hoping to learn something new from y'all!
Where in SoCal are you? I escaped San Diego (IB) in late ‘03.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I’ve learned a lot from my master. Not just plumbing, but business as well. At his peak he had eight guys and five trucks on the road. Said during that time he hardly did any plumbing, he was just a fireman running around putting out fires. I’ve ran two companies for weeks at a time while the boss was away. I for one don’t ever want an employee, my kid is an exception as plumbing and drain cleaning is part of his seventh grade curriculum.
Putting out fires is why all my plumbers are master plumbers. Less fires to put out. I need a junior plumber currently but that would be basically a helper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts