Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

· philosopher and statesmen
9,076 Posts
I did house plumbing briefly back in the 80’s, including being on a slab only crew. My boss would walk on my pipes in the ditch and check every pipe for slope. ANY flex was not acceptable. He would smoke weed/ drink 12+ beers a day on the job but he taught me well.

So, what ever happened to your old boss... ??
Did he drink himself to death?

· Registered
4,861 Posts
I preferred commercial construction as a kid, hospitals, high rise office/ hotels, etc. But when the job winds down and you get a Friday afternoon pink slip, I bought a newspaper and started calling that afternoon. In this case I was hired over the phone to start Monday for a house plumbing company. I spent a year there then went back to commercial plumbing. I never saw that plumber again.

· Registered
4,861 Posts

He didn't have a driver's license so I would drive for him. We would stop and get beer (6 or 12) on the way to a job and I would drop him off at his house on my way home. We would stop and he would grab an 18 pack on our way home. Dude was drinking a case + a day.

· Registered
72 Posts
He didn't have a driver's license so I would drive for him. We would stop and get beer (6 or 12) on the way to a job and I would drop him off at his house on my way home. We would stop and he would grab an 18 pack on our way home. Dude was drinking a case + a day.
So… probably dead now.

My brother and I started digging trenches and busting concrete for my gramps. He was a union plumber, but he had his own side business too. He always had a stainless steel flask in his pocket, called it his “tea.” On top of that he always had a six pack of Pabst in his lunch box. He had stacks of cases of beer in his garage at all times, like he was a prepper

· Registered
4,861 Posts
So… probably dead now.

My brother and I started digging trenches and busting concrete for my gramps. He was a union plumber, but he had his own side business too. He always had a stainless steel flask in his pocket, called it his “tea.” On top of that he always had a six pack of Pabst in his lunch box. He had stacks of cases of beer in his garage at all times, like he was a prepper

Yes, probably dead now,.

Customer has an extra bedroom half full of bud light. No telling how much he drinks,.

· Super Moderator
12,770 Posts
I have other plans to soothe my mind, in April I'll be able to take the car out again. I'm going to burn gas instead and I'm going to wear out another set of tires! There's one goal that keeps me going and endure this circus. After that I have an Idea to open another company, and if it works I'll quit plumbing.

I got a new phone last fall and I was shocked I couldn't save or transfer my blocked list. I also learned there's a 1000 limit to the number of blocked caller and I was getting pretty close to it.

I blocked a bazaar durka yesterday for a water heater, I told him I'm not available till late March and he wanted a quote anyway so I told him quotes are $300 and he wanted an appointment. You may ask why he'd want an appointment, that's their sly game they'll argue that's the price for the entire job, $300.

Almost 1,000 people blocked?....LOL. That's hilarious! :ROFLMAO:

· Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
Almost 1,000 people blocked?....LOL. That's hilarious! :ROFLMAO:
Those who take an appointment and cancel, I hate those A-holes because that makes me lose another customer who would of paid
Durkas and other brands who pretend not to understand money
Callers who call 2-3-4 times price shopping
Competitors wives' calling to check on your rates, I'm very sad to lose those numbers
Previous customers who were a pain
Local grocery stores wanting to sell you ad spaces that nobody looks at.
spammers

· Registered
2,717 Posts
Those who take an appointment and cancel, I hate those A-holes because that makes me lose another customer who would of paid
Durkas and other brands who pretend not to understand money
Callers who call 2-3-4 times price shopping
Competitors wives' calling to check on your rates, I'm very sad to lose those numbers
Previous customers who were a pain
Local grocery stores wanting to sell you ad spaces that nobody looks at.
spammers
If things are not working then you must consider changing the way you operate.

Reviews be damned, I’d answer every bad review if you care about reviews.

I might would give an incentive to leave me a good review to cast shade on the negative ones.

Do not work for everyone, everyone is not a good customer.

· Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
Back in 1999 I had my big brother Jack Working for me as a helper, Because I had a Busted up Right Shoulder, That is how he would start and end each day, February 2011
I lost him to Liver Failure, then in March of the Same Year I lost one of my other Brothers to Liver Failure, Both Live Long Alcoholics'

· Registered
4,861 Posts
I would say I have (or hope the limit isn’t 1000) tens of thousands of spammers blocked. I don’t have any customers blocked but do have a long blacklist.
If things are not working then you must consider changing the way you operate.

Reviews be damned, I’d answer every bad review if you care about reviews.

I might would give an incentive to leave me a good review to cast shade on the negative ones.

Do not work for everyone, everyone is not a good customer.

My office manager freaks out about bad review possibilities. They happen, I have a couple here and there, generally price grippers or scheduling issues.

Mostly referral and repeat so it doesn't really matter.

· Registered
769 Posts
Back in 1999 I had my big brother Jack Working for me as a helper, Because I had a Busted up Right Shoulder, That is how he would start and end each day, February 2011
I lost him to Liver Failure, then in March of the Same Year I lost one of my other Brothers to Liver Failure, Both Live Long Alcoholics'
Sorry Mac for the loss of your brothers

41 - 54 of 54 Posts