Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few weeks ago, I started putting together a door-to-door campaign. It got off to a bumpy start for the first few weeks, but two days ago we ironed out the bugs. I have one professional sales person who knocks on doors and gives away ink pens, calendars,brochures and he tells the customer he is at their home to offer some free services to introduce our company and show the customer how great we are. He makes it very clear that there is no obligation and we will not attempt to close any type of sale, and we don't As he meets with the potential customers, he offers a free toilet leak test with dye tablets and a free furnace inspection. Yesterday, we got 5 leads in two hours and sold two jobs. One was a sewer clean-out and the other was a furnace.

As for not attempting to close a sale, we only show the customer problems we find, let them ask us for an estimate, and we follow the customer's lead.

I already discussed this campaign on other forums and there are many mixed feelings about door-to-door, but every person has been very friendly and receptive with our sales person. So far, not one person was rude. Just think about the control we can have. And, you don't have to do it yourself. I won't! Just hire someone who enjoys door-to-door sales.

One problem we had was setting appointments for the following day. Most people canceled, or we had to play phone tag, so we put a plumber with the sales person. The plumber stays on the same street and when the sales person gets a hot lead the plumbers does the inspection instantly.

The more you give away the more you sell. Sorry, but if it works, and is not broke, then don't fix it! You may not like what I do but my employees work 365 days a year.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
In rebuttal to previous posts, I have approximately 35 employees to feed and we are far from lacking in work. Our weekly gross sales are often as much as some small companies do in an entire year. But, to keep 35 people busy I am constantly implementing new advertising campaigns.

A few weeks ago, I started putting together a door-to-door campaign. It got off to a bumpy start for the first few weeks, but two days ago we ironed out the bugs. I have one professional sales person who knocks on doors and gives away ink pens, calendars,brochures and he tells the customer he is at their home to offer some free services to introduce our company and show the customer how great we are. He makes it very clear that there is no obligation and we will not attempt to close any type of sale, and we don't As he meets with the potential customers, he offers a free toilet leak test with dye tablets and a free furnace inspection. Yesterday, we got 5 leads in two hours and sold two jobs. One was a sewer clean-out and the other was a furnace.

As for not attempting to close a sale, we only show the customer problems we find, let them ask us for an estimate, and we follow the customer's lead.

I already discussed this campaign on other forums and there are many mixed feelings about door-to-door, but every person has been very friendly and receptive with our sales person. So far, not one person was rude. Just think about the control we can have. And, you don't have to do it yourself. I won't! Just hire someone who enjoys door-to-door sales.

One problem we had was setting appointments for the following day. Most people canceled, or we had to play phone tag, so we put a plumber with the sales person. The plumber stays on the same street and when the sales person gets a hot lead the plumbers does the inspection instantly.

The more you give away the more you sell. Sorry, but if it works, and is not broke, then don't fix it! You may not like what I do but my employees work 365 days a year.
You may find this surprising but I actually like this idea. However, if I were to do something like this it would be viewed strictly as marketing and would have to be financed 100% from my marketing budget. I would not send plumbers door to door.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm probably paying too much.

How are you compensating your sales people?
I ran an ad in the Los Angeles Times and got so m any calls I was getting dizzy answering the phone. So, I used a voice mail message and sent applicants to this link to explain the position.

http://bestlineplumbing.com/Salesman.htmI offered the sales person $100 per day during a test period and training with a draw against their commission. Their commission is 7% for getting the lead. I usually figure a budget of 10% for advertising, but I wanted to pay 3% less to cover unknown costs such as terminating non-producing sales people.

If the sales person gets 7% and the average lead he gets is $4,000 then he will earn $280. I am hoping that each sales person will get no less than 5 sales per week. We will see. Maybe I can get 4 sales people doing $15,000 per week. That will be $60,000 per week, or $3 million annually.

I hired three sales people within two days. Two flaked within the first few days and I have only one left.

My total cost for a job is about 10% for the lead + up to about 25% for closing the sale and performing the work, materials are about 20%, overhead 20%, and about 25% for myself, more or less.

My goal is to train the sales person to close the sales within 4 to 8 weeks. I hired straight sales people about 25 years ago and what they can do is amazing. I used to send sales people to a home to give an estimate for a new roof and they would sell plumbing for twice the price in my price books.

I'm glad you like it. Thank you very much.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
With a $4000 average ticket you have got to be targeting certain work and this is the problem with this set up as I see it. Not everyone needs a whole house repipe. My average ticket last year was around $600. I don't see how I can keep any sales person based on that number unless he wears a big S on his shirt and can keep 3 or 4 plumbers busy all the time. I don't know how you are averaging 4K on a ticket but I would probably have to sell unnecessary items as if they were in order to reach those numbers which is something that I am unwilling to do. Also are you using sales staff to create leads or sell services. If they are selling and they are strictly salesmen, how do they know what to sell or what the customer does or doesn't need, ... they are not plumbers.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Target areas where you know people need work.

With a $4000 average ticket you have got to be targeting certain work and this is the problem with this set up as I see it. Not everyone needs a whole house repipe. My average ticket last year was around $600. I don't see how I can keep any sales person based on that number unless he wears a big S on his shirt and can keep 3 or 4 plumbers busy all the time. I don't know how you are averaging 4K on a ticket but I would probably have to sell unnecessary items as if they were in order to reach those numbers which is something that I am unwilling to do. Also are you using sales staff to create leads or sell services. If they are selling and they are strictly salesmen, how do they know what to sell or what the customer does or doesn't need, ... they are not plumbers.
We have neighborhoods in Los Angeles where we know every house has at least one leak in a drain, a water pipe, or a hole in a furnace draft hood. Many of these customers have to clean their sewers every three months. You must have similar areas where people have serious tree problems.

It is very simple for a person with no plumbing to know what a customer needs. The sales person asks the customer in most cases, or in the case of selling roofs, our roofing salesman would sell more plumbing than roofs because people always asked for an estimate for a copper repipe, etc.

You don't have to sell things people don't need to get a lot of sales for a larger amount of money. You only need a larger number of leads and the ability to close those that need something. All you have to do to find out what a customer needs is look and ask.

If you don't want to use a door-to-door salesman, just deliver about 50,00 of these brochures, or use the concept in an ad, and you will be swamped with calls, anyway.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I am about finished

This is going to be my last post since I told you just about everything I know. I have a three businesses I need to concentrate on and have to stop writing posts for other reasons.

Contractors in the same cities are making millions of dollars while competitors are going broke. The difference is a result of common sense, positive ideas, positive thoughts, and acting upon them. You will not achieve something if you don't believe it can't be done. You will not achieve something if you do not believe that someone else cannot achieve it. You will not achieve something just because you tried and failed a few times.

When I wrote the manual, I only included the things that I think are very critical. I watched the number of different programs that were downloaded and regardless of how small your company is, many people don't see the value of organizing the small tasks to make the large tasks flow smoothly.

If you get really serious about making a few million every year, you can write, call, or visit my shop.

I had fun and enjoyed the forum.

·
Registered
88 Posts
pc plumber are you fair dinkum?

you are all smoke and mirrors with no substance people ask you questions and you dont reply

you keep threating to leave well stop bluffing and do

all the drama for no outcome enough is enough

·
Banned
5 Posts
How are you compensating your sales people?
According to my experience with running a leading sales company, I want to share here something about compensating work for your sales people. Some thing remember that gives you salesperson a stable income with their working ability, develops increased loyalty and remember to offers more flexibility in assigning sales territories.

·
Pipes & pucks
663 Posts
According to my experience with running a leading sales company, I want to share here something about compensating work for your sales people. Some thing remember that gives you salesperson a stable income with their working ability, develops increased loyalty and remember to offers more flexibility in assigning sales territories.
Give it up.

·
Super Moderator
12,486 Posts

The rules clearly state that this site 'is for plumbing professionals only.' So sorry. But the banning committee will be convening shortly to discuss whether or not to:ban:you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm shocked at any naysay responses. :eek:

It is a job that creates work. Proposed job is based on commission so he knows that the marketer will put forth 100%. Where the employees of a printing company, news paper or TV production crew could care less for your goal and slam out your advertisement in a hurry and move on to the next job. Or worse, what if the person working your advertisement is unhappy with their job and it reflects in your advertisement. Not to mention this puts the money in the hands of a fellow villager and not some corporation. Further more a great deal of plumbing companies rely on word of mouth to all other forms of marketing and this exorcises mouths.

:rockon: I like the idea. :thumbsup: I'd love to be put on a stretch of bad tree road where every one has a leak to hand out pens and drop blue stuff in toilets and never be forced to rebuttal. I want the whole 10% though I refuse to be punished for others terminal failures. Congruently a neighborhood with that many leeks is not gonna drop 4k a shot.

Agreed: a Spinner doesn't need to know plumbing to sell plumbing he just needs to know his customer. The customer knows what the customer needs and that's likely why the customer invited the Spinner into the home for free testings. The Plumber will find any other problems that may surface.

I believe this is the reason for your "many mixed feelings".
pcplumber said: You may not like what I do but my employees work 365 days a year.
You've told people they don't like what you do before they have made a decision for themselves. :bangin:
Never in advertising have I seen "You may not like my product but it works."
Next forums consider this alternative "I know you like my idea because I do, it keeps my employees working 24/7/365". Don't under estimate the authority of the author. Especially when your fishing for compliments on an advertising campaign, way to shoot yourself in the foot.

Most importantly, exciting as it may be and I'm totally grooving on your excitement but... 2 days of positive results is not a big enough statistic to judge success. Revisit next year!

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Revisit next year!
Oh Crap! He Probably will... :rolleyes:

You haven't seen enough to know...
But you probably won't like him :laughing:

Unless you are into chaining yourself to a customers kitchen table....

·
Registered
468 Posts
More power to you if this works. Around here, people are pretty well trained to slam the door in the face of ANYONE selling door to door, because most of the time, if you let someone in your house, he will rape and/or rob you.

Like I say, if it works in your neighborhood...fine. Around here your company would get a black eye, and probably a nasty report on the 6 oclock news.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts