Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Master Plumber/Mechanical
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a house today where the bath tub had been draining slow. HO plunged the tub and was draining fine until the smell. Plunged about two months ago. Blew the trap off the tub and the tub has been draining into the crawl space..two freak'n months..of draining perfect. Galv pipe slugged up
What a mud hole. I'm too busy to deal with the all the mud and water. Water standing 2" or better. HO says he can't get anyone else. I told him that we need to dry it up and doubled my rate.

What do all you guys do when you come across this.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
I have a rent house right now that is a section 8 (I couldn't even believe that a section 8 rent house owner would ever hire me for anything) in which the sewer has been backing up through an open branch of a 4" ci wye for who even knows how long. He's been pumping it out periodically with a sump pump for over a year thinking it was rain water some how. He recently pumped it out and called me. I went to look and discovered what was actually going on. I called him and told him that step one was to get the remediation guys in there to clean it up so I could work. He says "ok, let me know how much". I called the remediation guy and had him come take a look. He gave me his number. I called the owner and gave him the price including the remediation as well as the repairs.

I handle a lot of stuff that I don't really like but there is not way I'm swimming in sewage. I'll wait for the guy with the really big vacuum to do his thing and then I'll do mine.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Back in the day, we'd grab two or three light pallets from the plumbing supply house and some plastic for floods that shallow. This is an excellent job for an apprentice. Separates the 1st years from the 3rd years quick.

Reactions: Cal and gusty60

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Was sent to a call on a mobile home on a septic one time. When I got there I looked under the trailer and there was crap 4 inches deep everywhere. I called my boss and he told me to put plastic down. I told him if he wanted to crawl under that trailer on plastic he could come do it. He said ok and came over to the job. He got out of the truck and started cussing me telling me it was my job to unstop that sewer. I told him that if he crawled under that trailer dragging a sewer snake with him I would be right behind him all the way. He looked under the tralier and I heard a gurgling sound. Was back there the next day installing clean outs. You pay me 200 dollars an hr and I promise I will think about crawling in s**t but I still will not do ite

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
I charge big money for something like that. A vac truck is called in. Then I lay out thick plastic. Then I put on a full body tychem chemical suit and go in there and get it done.

I just did one a few months ago and took pics. Charged $800 or so to cut out 2' section of 3" pvc that was never glued right. No vac truck was needed because it had soaked into the ground.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
We do clean ups, will I don't myself, but when we do it is triple rates per man hour.

Reactions: Redwood

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
We pump it. Pumped 300 gallons or raw food and grease out of a basement last summer. Let me tell you, that was the worst 10 hours of my career. We had to pull the suction hose well over 150ft and the pump on the truck would only pull about 20lbs of suction. So as we were sucking it up we had to soak it down and separate the solids. Then haul them out in garbage bags.:blink:

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
We pump it. Pumped 300 gallons or raw food and grease out of a basement last summer. Let me tell you, that was the worst 10 hours of my career. We had to pull the suction hose well over 150ft and the pump on the truck would only pull about 20lbs of suction. So as we were sucking it up we had to soak it down and separate the solids. Then haul them out in garbage bags.:blink:
:sick:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Even if you pump it out whats under that crawl space. I have been in some that have boards with nails in them broken glass chunks of cinder blocks to mashed your knees with. Some even use it to store thier garbage. Too many risk of infections for me.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Even if you pump it out whats under that crawl space. I have been in some that have boards with nails in them broken glass chunks of cinder blocks to mashed your knees with. Some even use it to store thier garbage. Too many risk of infections for me.
Tell me about it. I just smacked my knee on a piece of broken concrete in a crawspace today. My knee is killing me when i bend it.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
My company pays for all shots. From hep all the way to flu. But we still suit up when we go into a crawlspace like that. We test air and go through all the safety classes each month.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts