Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late Friday morning a small piece of copper wire penetrated my middle finger. By early afternoon it was hurting and starting to swell.

Friday night, it was throbbing and I couldn't even touch it. I assumed it would come to a head and it could be drained.

Saturday morning, PAIN!

Went to the doctors - a staph infection in my finger. In a matter of hours, my body reacted.

Dr. said it was a good thing I came in, infections like this can go from bad to severe very quickly. (Amputation :eek:). Antibiotics and pain meds. for me. If it is still swollen and sore tomorrow, I will have the doc look at again.

My body has taken a beating this past month.

On a happy note, the family is offering lots of love and sympathy.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
I had a friend, John who was an electrician. He was stripping wire when his elbow flew back and struck some braided copper wire. A piece about 1/8" broke off under his skin and almost killed him.

·
master of disaster
758 Posts
last year i jumped off a ladder and ran a 16p nail clear thru my foot and out the top,pulled it out and wash out cut , it seemed to be o.k., next day foot swelled &throbbed with pain, went to emerg. room-pushed a peice of my boot sole into my foot , had to cut open clean&wash out, hurt like hell then it got infected again,lot of pain for about a month, dr. said never let a peircing wound go untreated it can kill you within a few days.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Had MERSA on my leg 4 years ago from trying to lance something myself . Cost me a week in the hospital and VERY close to losing my leg .

DO NOT MESS AROUND !!!!!!!!

Cal

Glad to hear you all are healing up :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
I've always been stupid about this stuff.

Once, I was building a dog house and a wall slipped out of my hands - most of a 16d nail went into my leg just above the knee. It was about three days later that I got it taken care of and the red lines were beginning to run up my leg.

Another time, I shot a nail through my left index finger. Ripped it out and went back to work. Didn't have any problems with that one.

I must be incredibly healthy or something.

OK, stupid. Yeah.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
I was in my first month of my first year, right? I was breaking up toilets in the dumpster when two nuns walked by in full nunnery, except one had a pair on her that Hugh Hefner would buy.

Well, watching that the nun broke my concentration and my hand slipped right into a broken piece of porcelain. 10 stitches and a chewing out for not wearing gloves after I was expressly told to put them on...

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
I perform my own medical surgeries....that's no lie.

I've cut growths, removed tumors, sewed up cuts large enough that needed stitches, glued myself back together. Broke a finger or two in my day that tape fixed with no problems.

I got exacto knifes so I manage well with a mirror, gloves and a bottle of pain killers when I use the rubbing alcohol.

Eye surgery is on the docket for my dog next week. Going to remove those cataracts once and for all. :laughing:

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
I perform my own medical surgeries....that's no lie.

I've cut growths, removed tumors, sewed up cuts large enough that needed stitches, glued myself back together. . .
Oh Roast Duck - you poor thing. That wasn't a tumor, it was your brain.:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Just kidding! Did it make you laugh?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I was in my first month of my first year, right? I was breaking up toilets in the dumpster when two nuns walked by in full nunnery, except one had a pair on her that Hugh Hefner would buy.

Well, watching that the nun broke my concentration and my hand slipped right into a broken piece of porcelain. 10 stitches and a chewing out for not wearing gloves after I was expressly told to put them on...
That was God kicking your ass ,,,,, :whistling2:

Reactions: gusty60

·
Registered
305 Posts
I got MRSA a couple years ago and got rid of it quickly with antibiotics. Had a small cut on my hand and snaked a sewer. My buddy was the one that told me to go to the doctor after looking at how ugly it after a couple of days. DON'T mess around with this stuff. Another of our plumbers got it and ended up getting surgery and skin grafts.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Oh Roast Duck - you poor thing. That wasn't a tumor, it was your brain.:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Oh that was just too funny! He better woulda laughed. I would have.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Man, this thread is scaring me. I am always pretty quick to whip out my knife and cut open my skin to remove a deep splinter or whatever. This is making me think twice.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts

But....but they told me it was small anyway! There's got to be a replacement, fo sho :thumbsup:

·
Registered
151 Posts
We had this happen on a garbage disposal that was jammed about 6 months ago. Our policy has always been that if you have an injury no matter how small immediately call us and arrange an immediate visit to Concentra (our work comp. clinic) Anyway, he apparently cut his thumb when he was cleaning out the fish tank rocks out of the disposal, it was almost quitting time and he wanted to go home, a Friday, instead of seeking advise. I get a call from his wife on Sunday frantic because his entire arm was puffed up and looked like it was going to explode. We sent him to minor emergency and whallah-Staff Infection. Of course now everyone is so scared that if they fart wrong they need to go to Concentra.:laughing:

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
I got MRSA a couple years ago and got rid of it quickly with antibiotics. Had a small cut on my hand and snaked a sewer. My buddy was the one that told me to go to the doctor after looking at how ugly it after a couple of days. DON'T mess around with this stuff. Another of our plumbers got it and ended up getting surgery and skin grafts.
MRSA is bad stuff. You are lucky you got rid of it quick.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Roast Duck:
It seems when people don't want to pay professional plumbers rates they hire low-ballers who are less qualified to do the job. On that note, if we get hurt can we come to you instead of paying those over inflated doctors rates. I'm guessing the results would be the same.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts