Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I am just afraid that I will regret not getting a 18 gpm / 4000 psi trailer.

I have always run larger jetters.

Is the 3/8" hose ever an issue? With pushing distances, I know some nozzles propel themselves.

I just want to make sure that once we get into spring sewer cleaning and root season that I don't look at the Brute and wish I bought a larger unit

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
All nozzles propel themselves. The 3/8" hose is perfect for working from 3" and 4" clean outs.

http://youtu.be/VSlA4eFZKwY

That's a video I made cleaning 6" clay with my brute Jetter and a RR nozzle. At the time that video was made I did not have the inserts so it was probably only getting 5gpm max. That video is in real time. I charged 325$ for that job as you can see it was done in about 30 mins

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
I am just afraid that I will regret not getting a 18 gpm / 4000 psi trailer.

I have always run larger jetters.

Is the 3/8" hose ever an issue? With pushing distances, I know some nozzles propel themselves.

I just want to make sure that once we get into spring sewer cleaning and root season that I don't look at the Brute and wish I bought a larger unit
What are your expectations? Is there a time limit you'd want to be done in? Do you plan on doing before and after videos?

·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
What are your expectations? Is there a time limit you'd want to be done in? Do you plan on doing before and after videos?
I would like to clear a 60 6" foot clay tile sewer with roots penetrating 70% of the joints in about an hour. That is what the US Jetter I am use to working with would do.

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
I would like to clear a 60 6" foot clay tile sewer with roots penetrating 70% of the joints in about an hour. That is what the US Jetter I am use to working with would do.
Well I guess I'm out the conversation. I use my dreel to clear a lateral. My jetter is for the removal of 99.9% of roots with a before and after video since my jetting is done for home sales. My average job time is 2 hours but I think I use the smallest jetter amongst the forum users.

You really may want to get a 4018 and a twister nozzle and just blow through the stoppage since you're only trying to clear it. The twister nozzle looks to be the biggest blaster out there but you need 12gpm minimum to use it.

There are quite a few 4018's for sale in the cleaner mag and will likely be more since the pumper show is coming. Sometimes it's not the best tool out there but what you're grown accustomed to using.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
If price is an issue you can have a brute with all the extras including specialty nozzles for around 15k even a used US jet is going to be at least 25 and that's a good deal

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
If price is an issue you can have a brute with all the extras including specialty nozzles for around 15k even a used US jet is going to be at least 25 and that's a good deal
Was thinking about this comment all day. US jetter....starts at 40-50k.

High quality trailer 2k
Water tank with fittings-500
2...count em 2....Brutes.....30k

there's your 4018 jetter but has 2 engines in case one ever goes out. Cheaper parts (ever price a 4018 pump?) and you'd still save yourself alot of money.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
gear junkie said:
Was thinking about this comment all day. US jetter....starts at 40-50k. High quality trailer 2k Water tank with fittings-500 2...count em 2....Brutes.....30k there's your 4018 jetter but has 2 engines in case one ever goes out. Cheaper parts (ever price a 4018 pump?) and you'd still save yourself alot of money.
I just don't see the need for more GPM than what I currently have. I have never met a root blockage that I didn't have removed in <2 hours. I have a 35gpm unit that sits in the shop most days but for that 12" storm drain half full of gravel it's nice. 6-8" clay with roots is my bread and butter and 9gpm is perfect. If it worked any faster people would ***** about their bill (more than they already do)

Not to mention my set up can be in two different places at the same time

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
I just don't see the need for more GPM than what I currently have. I have never met a root blockage that I didn't have removed in <2 hours. I have a 35gpm unit that sits in the shop most days but for that 12" storm drain half full of gravel it's nice. 6-8" clay with roots is my bread and butter and 9gpm is perfect. If it worked any faster people would ***** about their bill (more than they already do)

I'm right there with you. My setup has done amazing for me and it's a little bigger then half of you jetter. But I never see 8" and don't do sewer mains. 4"-6" is my main pipe size I see here with 6" being the more common between the 2.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
gear junkie said:
I'm right there with you. My setup has done amazing for me and it's a little bigger then half of you jetter. But I never see 8" and don't do sewer mains. 4"-6" is my main pipe size I see here with 6" being the more common between the 2.
8 is rare for me anymore. I used to do primarily municipal work for the smaller community's in my area. Being seen by the neighborhood during city back ups helped create the residential network I have today. Last few years most of the municipality's began buying their own vactors as they population grew so I had to adapt. It was about that time I found this forum and noticed JNW came up a lot. I'm not skilled enough nor do I have the time to attempt making my own unit.

I've bought two of their units, they both make money and I have happy customers. If the time comes I need a third I won't even consider others.

To the OP. I see your location is Illinois. My offer to come try them out hands on still stands just PM me

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I get the full 200 out probably once a month. The warthog and the RR will both pull it that far. I'll add the RR is hard to flip that far out with 3/8" hose.

If you are running uphill it gets a little slow after 150ft. That's one thing I will say about my 35GPM unit, that thing could pull 500 ft of 3/4" hose uphill with a probably 8lbs nozzle in no time. Even feels like it could go further when running downhill

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
Holy smokes man. the furthest I've had to go was around 150' which was no issue. But my toughest pull was only 60' but had to go through 630 degrees of change direction.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
gear junkie said:
Holy smokes man. the furthest I've had to go was around 150' which was no issue. But my toughest pull was only 60' but had to go through 630 degrees of change direction.
Anytime I've been out that far it's a straight run. We have lots of large old school houses that sit 150 feet off the road. Most are gravity systems with the line leaving below basement. We have tons of 100 year old and older brick city sewers that are sometimes 15 feet or deeper, I've seen one that was 30. In face we have a 96" brick main about 14 ft deep that runs the back yards of about 3 blocks worth of homes. You get a gut wrenching feeling opening that lid.

Can you imagine being on those job sites during install?

·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
A lot of guys have told me that you can get a great deal buying equipment at the WWETT show in Indy. A company I use to work for got a U.S. Jetter for 15K under the regular price on it. Do you think I could get a better deal at the Pumper/Cleaner show, or at least save on freight shipping (which would cost over $2,000)?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

So how does yur 9 GPM do against sludge? Do you run into sludge/silt or sand in smaller storm drains. My biggest issue is heavy grease, and the occasional heavy sludge filled leach line. Would 9 GPM do well in these applications

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Shoot'N'Plumber said:
So how does yur 9 GPM do against sludge? Do you run into sludge/silt or sand in smaller storm drains. My biggest issue is heavy grease, and the occasional heavy sludge filled leach line. Would 9 GPM do well in these applications
Yeah dude, last week we had a call to a bar in an open air mall. Their grease line runs about 100 foot to the 1000 gallon interceptor outside. I used the warthog from the interceptor back. I didn't use the camera but just did the old school method of making repeated long slow back and forth passes until nothing but clear non frothy water comes out the inlet baffle.

About 2 hours total on site. I'd say 15 mins spent finding and hooking up to water and another 15 checking out the waitress staff (this place did really good) so maybe roughly an hour in pipe pressurized time. The RR is nasty when it comes to grease stuck to the top of the pipe

21 - 40 of 65 Posts