Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read quite a few very pleased customer testimonials from guys on this board about the Brute series jetters. I have done quite of bit of research and it looks like the Brute 150 Trailer Jetter would fit my company perfectly (9 gpm / 4000 psi). My question is, how would this machine handle really rough root removal jobs in 6" clay tile pipe with a warthog nozzle?

This purchase would primarily be for residential and I just want to make sure that we wouldn't regret not buying a larger unit. So with that said is the Brute 9 gpm 150 Trailer unit more than capable of cutting heavy roots in 6" pipe, somewhat capable, or should I be shopping larger units around?

Thank you so much for your help!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I do see a big difference with how fast and thoroughly I remove roots between my 3/8" and 1/2" hoses and there respective Warthogs. The 3/8" hose is much more work and time consuming.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Of course bigger is better. My Mongoose 4000psi/18gpm has worked hard in some severe residential root situations. Of course if you bill by the hour a smaller unit will take longer so that will work.

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
Those specs will cut roots in 6" very easily. I cut roots out of 6" with a 4.5gpm 3000 psi jetter. I've since upgraded to a 5.5 gpm 4300 jetter.....same end result only faster. To be clear on what "cut roots in 6" means, here's a before and after which is typical results.

Larger flow jetters(4018)only separate them self from the small jetter when dealing with grease.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I run two JNW brute units. Both 4000 @9

Typical sewer in my area is 4" cast till it leaves the home then 6" clay for 80-120 ft. Warthog punchs my hole and makes it drain. I then use a camera and go joint by joint with a RR. Two year warranty against roots. I track my time on all jobs for profitably reasons and we rarely go over two hours unless it's really bad. We also clean up and make the work area spotless I would say that's about 20 mins.

Trailer jets are great, I used to be a big believer in bigger being better. If your dealing with residential 4 and 6" those specs are perfect. If you want to branch out into bigger 8" and above you might want something with more flow.

One of the main things I love about my Jetters is being able to use a 1/8" hose and do 2" lines with the same machine.

Defiantly by far the best purchase I have ever made while in business. They are a great company to work with.

·
I Married Up
16,841 Posts
If I had it to do again, I would by the same exact machine I have today. JNW Eagle 200, 300'x3/8" hose, 300'x3/8" jumper hose , Warthog, 4K/9gpm. Sure, a 4K/18gpm machine with 3/4" hose is nice but dollar for dollar, what have ius still getting it done just fine for us.

These roots and plenty more just like them were cleared from an 8" clay city main. In and out in 30min. Follow up video was included to verify results.

Jetters Northwest is one of those rare companies nowadays that say what they do and do what they say.

BTW: We no longer use the quick disconnect on the nozzle.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Forgot to add: if you get the cart model spend the extra $ for the 12v rewind reel. It's so badass to have on a cart unit. I got it on the second model I bought and wish I would have done it on the first. Get a large water tank too that's another thing I regret not doing from the start

·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would probably get the trailer version of the brute jetter, and run a remote reel for inside work and tight areas. It sounds like this would be the perfect fit for my company.

I do plan on getting it loaded up with the electric real rewind, the dedicated anti-freeze tank, and the remote cart.

Thank you for the feedback gentleman, you have made my decision very easy. I am sure I will be ordering a unit relatively soon.

·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What would you consider essential items for the 150 Trailer (Which is just a Brute 9gpm/4000psi cart Jetter mounted on a small trailer with 150 water tank).

I know I want the electric hose rewind, a warthog nozzle, the hand carry 1/4" reel (for smaller branch lines), the portable 200" 3/8 reel (to make inside clean-out work easier), Trigger control & pressure washing kit.

I was thinking the chainsaw root cutter nozzle, or what is the best root cutter when most of the time we will be going through 4" cast to 6" clay tile to cut roots (want to be fast about it). I know Unclog uses a RR, but are they not rotating?

I also was thinking the antifreeze system (as I am in Chicago) but I think they also offer a way to hook an air compressor and blow the system out...?

What else is advisable as far as getting with the jetter?

Again thank you guys so much, specifically Unclog and Plbgbiz.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
What would you consider essential items for the 150 Trailer (Which is just a Brute 9gpm/4000psi cart Jetter mounted on a small trailer with 150 water tank).

I know I want the electric hose rewind, a warthog nozzle, the hand carry 1/4" reel (for smaller branch lines), the portable 200" 3/8 reel (to make inside clean-out work easier), Trigger control & pressure washing kit.

I was thinking the chainsaw root cutter nozzle, or what is the best root cutter when most of the time we will be going through 4" cast to 6" clay tile to cut roots (want to be fast about it). I know Unclog uses a RR, but are they not rotating?

I also was thinking the antifreeze system (as I am in Chicago) but I think they also offer a way to hook an air compressor and blow the system out...?

What else is advisable as far as getting with the jetter?

Again thank you guys so much, specifically Unclog and Plbgbiz.
You're getting big time. Long way off doing those 4" Pro Press 90° off the lift then hiding them in the garbage box.... :p

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Blackhawk said:
What would you consider essential items for the 150 Trailer (Which is just a Brute 9gpm/4000psi cart Jetter mounted on a small trailer with 150 water tank). I know I want the electric hose rewind, a warthog nozzle, the hand carry 1/4" reel (for smaller branch lines), the portable 200" 3/8 reel (to make inside clean-out work easier), Trigger control & pressure washing kit. I was thinking the chainsaw root cutter nozzle, or what is the best root cutter when most of the time we will be going through 4" cast to 6" clay tile to cut roots (want to be fast about it). I know Unclog uses a RR, but are they not rotating? I also was thinking the antifreeze system (as I am in Chicago) but I think they also offer a way to hook an air compressor and blow the system out...? What else is advisable as far as getting with the jetter? Again thank you guys so much, specifically Unclog and Plbgbiz.
Blackhawk said:
What would you consider essential items for the 150 Trailer (Which is just a Brute 9gpm/4000psi cart Jetter mounted on a small trailer with 150 water tank). I know I want the electric hose rewind, a warthog nozzle, the hand carry 1/4" reel (for smaller branch lines), the portable 200" 3/8 reel (to make inside clean-out work easier), Trigger control & pressure washing kit. I was thinking the chainsaw root cutter nozzle, or what is the best root cutter when most of the time we will be going through 4" cast to 6" clay tile to cut roots (want to be fast about it). I know Unclog uses a RR, but are they not rotating? I also was thinking the antifreeze system (as I am in Chicago) but I think they also offer a way to hook an air compressor and blow the system out...? What else is advisable as far as getting with the jetter? Again thank you guys so much, specifically Unclog and Plbgbiz.
We are the same area as far as climate goes I'm about 1.5 hours south of Chicago.

For my second brute I went with a skid mounted version and put it inside a Chevy 1 ton van I had. Sure it takes up a lot of space but it replaced my M81 with 4 reels as well as the two buckets full of cutters I would carry around.

I've had that unit out on some pretty cold days this year and just by keeping the heat cranked in the van all day I haven't had any issues.

I don't know if the trailer mounted brute has an antifreeze tank or not. When I bought my first brute I went with the cart model that has a 12 gallon tank on the frame. That unit sits in an enclosed trailer with no other source of heat. I added a 50 gallon water tank that is strapped to the trailer floor, I pretty much just use the 12 gallon tank for antifreeze but for the most part I don't take that unit out below 20 degrees unless I get really slammed with calls.

As far as accessories I would add is the 1/8" steel braided trap hose. It's extremely flexible, I walk 2" traps by simply twisting it under pressure. The hose swivels tend to eat threw O-rings and I've ended up upgrading all of them to a heavier model that JNW will supply upon request for a fee.

Here are some pics of my set up.

image-3742532956.jpg

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
Enclosed heated trailer. Can you really use a trailer in Chicago? I only use 2 nozzles.....root ranger and a warthog with the root ranger getting the most use.

The 200' cart reel is over priced and can be bought anywhere. Most accessories from JNW is over priced.....just buy the same thing from northern tool or water cannon. Back to the reel, I gave up on my reel altogether as the prime choice. I keep a 200' reel on the van for that "just in case", 120' and a 80' length just coiled up. The 80' gets the most use and not dealing with the reel anymore is amazing.....hate that thing.

I also have a 100' of 1/4 on the van used for restaurants only. The grease stink will stick to a jetter hose. More hose is not better with jetting because of pressure loss at the nozzle. I'd also suggest to use grey pressure washer hose on your main reel and then use a hose cart by the cleanout.

I wouldn't do an "air out" system. I blow out my hoses after every use and there is still some water that will dribble out. I don't ever have to worry about freezing though.

Suggest to also have a foot pedal. Makes using the root ranger way easier. You'll also want to change the turbo on the root ranger to get all the water coming out of there. I'd suggest a 7 or 8 nozzle.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
MAAAAAAAN! The more I see of the big brute, and the more I had to work harder at my current jetting jobs with my 4k @ 3.5 GPM unit....the more I want a big brute!

I did a job last week jetting out 600' of leach lines from new D-boxes I installed. The pumper was on standby just pumping the sludge as I was jetting. 4 hours and my body ached and scapula was on fire from pulling so long.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Worth every penny SNP unless your cool enough to build your own. If I ever put a third truck on the road it will have a third brute Jetter in it. If any of you guys want to talk more about these machines you can PM me I'll send you my number

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Worth every penny SNP unless your cool enough to build your own. If I ever put a third truck on the road it will have a third brute Jetter in it. If any of you guys want to talk more about these machines you can PM me I'll send you my number
Yea I've thought about building my own, however, by the time I did it and made it look awesome I don't think I would rally save any money. I feel image is very important in our trade. And pulling up with a great looking professional machine would show the customer their getting their money's worth.

If I can make the pumper show, I'd be interested to see what kind of deals can be had. Worst case perhaps ill jump on one at the flow expo and save some coin. Plus, I'd like to find out what the limitations are on the big brute. Don't know if there would be a bid marketing/performance between 9 GPM and 12 GPM

Plus my current rig is a 16' enclosed trailer. So a trailer jetter could turn into a logistical nightmare and isn't something that can be done on the spot

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I think the 12 GPM unit they sell is 3000psi whereas the 9GPM is a 4k unit. If your ever in central Illinois come spend a day at the Rewes shop. I have them out everyday doing everything from kitchen drains to manhole work

1 - 20 of 65 Posts