Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a challanging job today. I had to figure out how to open two CPVC ball valves in the ceiling that had been finished over. One guy tried and gave up.

I ended up putting my strainer tool onto a piece of one inch pvc in an elbow. It fit over the tee handle. I then took my small pipe wrench which I had pre-adjusted to size and taped onto another peice of pvc. I used this to reach in and slowly turn the valves. All this taking place on my stomach in a small area of the attic.

After about forty-five minutes in the hot and humid attic and after lossing half my body weight in sweat and spearing my head multiple times on roofing nails, I got it open.

I love the jobs that others give up on!

Reactions: breid1903

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
I had a challanging job today. I had to figure out how to open two CPVC ball valves in the ceiling that had been finished over. One guy tried and gave up.

I ended up putting my strainer tool onto a piece of one inch pvc in an elbow. It fit over the tee handle. I then took my small pipe wrench which I had pre-adjusted to size and taped onto another peice of pvc. I used this to reach in and slowly turn the valves. All this taking place on my stomach in a small area of the attic.

After about forty-five minutes in the hot and humid attic and after lossing half my body weight in sweat and spearing my head multiple times on roofing nails, I got it open.

I love the jobs that others give up on!
WTF were they doing there anyway in the ceiling? I hate cpvc

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ever see some cpvc that has been baking in an attic for about 10 years? It's as brittle as glass!
I've been figuring that out. When I was in Iowa I was under the UPC and CPVC was not legal so I nver used it until I moved here.

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
This is Florida. :blink: Either the ceiling or slab. Not many crawl spaces and fewer basements.
I understand why the pipes are in the attic maybe but why put valves in the ceiling??? Where you cant get to them unless you make a swivel rachet outta pvc? Good job by the way. Why did they put two valves? Not one at the water heater? Sounds bad to me.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Any of you guys ever unscrewed the antenna off of your truck in new construction to unstop a tub drain through the overlow after a trim out? Rsp has, many times back in the day.

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
Any of you guys ever unscrewed the antenna off of your truck in new construction to unstop a tub drain through the overlow after a trim out? Rsp has, many times back in the day.
I'll take the same thing he had bartender:laughing:make it 2

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I understand why the pipes are in the attic maybe but why put valves in the ceiling??? Where you cant get to them unless you make a swivel rachet outta pvc? Good job by the way. Why did they put two valves? Not one at the water heater? Sounds bad to me.
Evidently this was just to get the water back since parts for the valve were missing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts