Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you know of a good forum or site to study gas volumes and pressures. I am trying to get a better handle on water column, pressure, volumes and capacity. As it stands now I really don't have a good mental picture of how much the average residential meter puts out. For example running an 11k generator. I think the gas company man need to replace the meter/ regulator. In addition Lp is different from NG so with NG I need even more gas.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
I would find out what differnt size meters that they offer in your area from the utility companies for natural gas. I know around here that they offer a 1/2lb, 2lb, and 5lb meter.
BTU loads being services are the most important part of the equation. Then, once you know that, shouldn't be that hard to calculate pipe sizes and lengths.
I always over size my residential gas applications, do to the fact that if they ever want to upgrade or add, it wont be such PITA later on.
Hope that helps, thats about how i figure out all of mine.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry,

I am not asking any DIY help, I know the rules. I am a Professional (Master) Electrician. I use the NFPA 70e as code, and do work in the Washington DC Metro area. I work both commercial and high end residential.

I asked my question because of the number of backup generators installed on LP or NG. I wire them often yet know very little about the the "pipes" that don't have wires in them. I wanted to educate myself a bit.

I am also a senior member of Mike Holts Electrical forum. There I feel at home here I am just another non professional asking questions.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I dont think that you are a plumber, shouldn't be fooling with gas.
I am not, And I know where your coming from. We get the same questions on the electrical site. If you don't want to discuss it I understand Ill find my info somewhere else. I respect your site and your field. I am around it often, just on the electrical side. I wanted to know more about the gas side. Don't believe I am an electrician then ask me something only a well educated licensed electrician would know.

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
I know alot about what your asking...but I know it in my area. You need to get someone one here from your area that knows the local utilities and how the meters / piping is setup. I don't know of a good site to learn about this other from other professionals. I don't have a problem helping out, but I just don't know what things are like on that side of the country. Would this be MD shunk trying to invade our space!!! He is a licensed plumber, but I don't think he does plumbing. I remember reading he got his plumbing license to to make a joke of the licensing requirements. Anyhow, I real Holt's site often and throw my .02 in on ET. Is there any info you can offer on how the gassing works in your area?

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha. Thanks Tankless. No this is not MD Shunk, but I know him. Hes a regular as I am sure you know. I really don't know much about the gas around here but just by reading the few posts here I can see that's the first place I should start. I am really just trying to understand and not so much ask about any one job or install. I found a site liek this http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/natural-gas-pipe-calculator-d_1042.html
that has a calculator but I still need to read more theory to get a handel on it. I think I may just look at my meter for any information that my help me put it all together. I really appreciate your reply.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Our meters are color cordinated, also they differ in size. the bigger the meter, more likely the bigger the lbs of pressure. Took a long time to learn gas, made a lot of non-life threating mistakes along the way. Good luck in your quest.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Sorry,

I am not asking any DIY help, I know the rules. I am a Professional (Master) Electrician. I use the NFPA 70e as code, and do work in the Washington DC Metro area. I work both commercial and high end residential.

I asked my question because of the number of backup generators installed on LP or NG. I wire them often yet know very little about the the "pipes" that don't have wires in them. I wanted to educate myself a bit.

I am also a senior member of Mike Holts Electrical forum. There I feel at home here I am just another non professional asking questions.
But when you signed up it plainly said this is for professional plumbers only.

If you can't respect us enough to play by our rules I have no respect for you. You just classified yourself as a jerk who refuses to respect your fellow tradesmen.

I vote you get banned.

·
Registered
425 Posts
But when you signed up it plainly said this is for professional plumbers only.

If you can't respect us enough to play by our rules I have no respect for you. You just classified yourself as a jerk who refuses to respect your fellow tradesmen.

I vote you get banned.
wow

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
If I was gonna study something for fun, It woud not be sizing and pressure calcs for NG.

So, lemme guess, you got a generator for your house and don't know how to properly put the gas to it.

I agree with 22. I think you should join the band.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Mike, while I respect you as a licensed electrician, we here are a forum dedicated to professional plumbers. Nathan does however have a site dedicated to electricians here
http://www.electriciantalk.com/
and you may post this question at contractortalk.com too which is a sister site of both.

I was going to paste the usual response asking you to go to Nathans other site called diy.com, but felt that would be an insult, so I did not.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
I agree with bill, I mean, its not like Nick the Neighbor is asking for advice here. I always try to help out my fellow tradesmen, never know when they might be able to return the favor.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
I agree with bill, I mean, its not like Nick the Neighbor is asking for advice here. I always try to help out my fellow tradesmen, never know when they might be able to return the favor.
True. He should ask this at ct, but sometimes ct is tough on non trades asking questions. At least he is not a diy'er.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts