Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it's been a while since I have posted any pics of tankless units.....hmmm, actually I don't think I have ever posted pics of a tankless job on this forum...bunch on CT. Anyhow, this is a simple resi-relocate. The interior was repiped....actually, it was repiped after I did the tankless. THis is in southern california which operated under the California Plumbing Code, which is just about an exact replica of the UPC. There were no local ammendements to speak of. The installation of the tankless code compliance falls under the manufactures reccommendations. Whenever installing one of these have a copy of the install manual ready for the inspector...makes things go quicker. Now, picturs of the new gas line I ran and the riser to the meter makeup are not part of this, nor is at all involved with this. Nothing you can't see is related to whether or not there is a code violation(s) or not in this job. THese pictures may or may not represent the final finished product.

And please.....Just having a little fun here, this is not a federal case.

So good luck and look very closley!!!:eek:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
That looks like a Noritz unit. If so, the exhaust clearance from an outdoor mounted unit only needs to be greater then 1', according to their installation instructions. Takagi makes no distinction between an outdoor installation and a vent from an indoor installation, requiring 4' from either.

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is gonna be fun!!!

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Don't know anything about the UPC so I'm disadvantaged.

I see the gas line coming out of the ground in the 3rd pic but where is it coming from? Where is the meter/regulator?

Will the small window above the block window be permanately shut?

What kind of gas stop is that?

In the 3rd pic, ground level, below the elec panel, there are 3 lines coming out of the ground. The one on the left ells into the wall. What is this line? Are the other two lines connected and is either the water service? If so, where is the prv and house stop?

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In southern Kalifornia I doubt that that particular item is of much concern.

KTS hasen't been out here recently. I have actually have had 2 green freaks ask me to do something similar to that.....free solar heating, no sh*t. Running pipe on the exterior is not a violation. There was no insulation on any of the pipe during inspection. I have never once seen or heard of an inspector asking about or requiring pipe insulation.
You guys understand I am right near the ocean.

Smells, the pipe on the right of that up-over-down is the service feed. I tapped that for my cold into my heater. the line that goes down below the grade is the cold feed for the house. I didn't build it...just tapped it.

The window.....hmmm, are we getting warmer?

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Don't know anything about the UPC so I'm disadvantaged.

I see the gas line coming out of the ground in the 3rd pic but where is it coming from? Where is the meter/regulator? 38 feet off to the left. 1" pe to trans riser.

Will the small window above the block window be permanately shut? No

What kind of gas stop is that? Reduced to 3/4" into a WOG 500PSI 1/4 turn ball valve. std Nibco

In the 3rd pic, ground level, below the elec panel, there are 3 lines coming out of the ground. The one on the left ells into the wall. What is this line? Are the other two lines connected and is either the water service? If so, where is the prv and house stop?
No PRV - there is a ball valve for the main shutoff.

Added: my bad, the pipe comming down from the panel is the non-required conduit for bonding of the panel. it just stubs off and the bond wire goes to where it goes. the other pipe, is the existing gas line. It is sorta visible in the other pic...a few inches below the grade. Client didn't want to pay to have it raised.

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Exhaust too close to window. Gas line improperly connected. " Get those fixed and I'll give you the rest of the list".:laughing:

please enlighten me on the rest of your list. :whistling2:

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That looks like a Noritz unit. If so, the exhaust clearance from an outdoor mounted unit only needs to be greater then 1', according to their installation instructions. Takagi makes no distinction between an outdoor installation and a vent from an indoor installation, requiring 4' from either.
Tat's because TK are a piece of....eerrr never mind, I know alot of guys on here like them. Your remarks are just another of many "issues" with them.

That looks like a Noritz unit. If so, the exhaust clearance from an outdoor mounted unit only needs to be greater then 1', according to their installation instructions. hmmmmm
It is a Noritz 7.51 M O.D. Nat -Gas.

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Will the operable window on top of the block window be utilized in any way as a forced air inlet?
Are you asking if there will be a fan mounted on/in that window to feed a gas fired appliance...FAU...Dryer?

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Are you asking if there will be a fan mounted on/in that window to feed a gas fired appliance...FAU...Dryer?
That or possibly a window ac unit or even just a fan used to draw in fresh air? The problem with that is noone can acount for how someone might use an operable window in the future. I have to believe that the inspector would limit his judgement to what the window would be used for at the time of inspection.

Having said that, if it is going to be utilized in any way as a forced air inlet then it would be a violation because of the distance rule.

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That or possibly a window ac unit or even just a fan used to draw in fresh air? The problem with that is noone can acount for how someone might use an operable window in the future. I have to believe that the inspector would limit his judgement to what the window would be used for at the time of inspection.

Having said that, if it is going to be utilized in any way as a forced air inlet then it would be a violation because of the distance rule.

I see where you are going with this and good thoughts however this is not a mechanical air inlet. At the time of inspection and currently, it is simply an openable window for a bathroom. It also does not constitute a non-mechanical air inlet. You are correct if it were mechanical. Nice try...:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts