Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the one where the people who installed the stone in the shower screwed up and had to re cut new stone to go in which took an additional 2 weeks

The jetted tub is the same one I posted about that had a lose fitting from the factory. Also the GC had me install it in the wrong spot, so we had to remove and re install it

The sinks. The same people who screwed up the shower made the cabinets 4 inches too short from front to rear which meant they could not install the sinks. They added 4" of blocking behind the cabinets which meant I had to go back out and extend all the pipes. Then when I installed the faucets, there was a chunk of stone underneath which tilted the cold water valve on the left sink and it will not sit flat. Told the HO I could knock it off with a hammer and chisel, but this may crack the top so they opted to leave it and they will make the cabinet people come back and fix it in case it gets broke, then its on them, not me. Also, if you look, you will see where they need to return to cover up that ugly 4" board in the rear of the sink!

All in all I think it came out good.

Attachments

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Looks good Bill,

I do notice one thing, reason the toilet is not centered on the floor between the wall is what?

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The toilet was left where the old one was because it was 4" CI and the HO did not want to disturb any walls or ceiling downstairs. The ceiling has 6" crown molding that was hand carved, there are 6" rose's made from plaster that were also hand made. If any of these things got damaged, they could never be replaced. The GC was supposed to build the wall to the left of the toilet facing it closer, but he scewed up and I dont think the HO caught it yet.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Looks Good Bill,
Christmas Eve.We've all been there.

Your customers give you any feedback on the body sprays up there?
What's their pattern like?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
to be fair, that would be most folks "wiping arm" side. you can always use a few extra inches clearance on that side to avoid smashing your funny bone into the wall in the middle of your paper work.

paul

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She loves it! They had absolutely no pressure up there. It is a 3 story house and some idiot ran 1/2 main lines from the basement up to the second floor. Lets see, 8' basement walls, 1' floor, 12 foot first floor walls, 1 foot floor again, so thats a total of 22 feet straight up! I used 3/4 and kept the 3/4 through the walls, turned with a 3/4 x 1/2 90, then stubbed out with 1/2. Now she has plenty of pressure!

Not sure what you mean by pattern, but 1 valve turns on all 4 jets.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
The shower turned out great but whoever designed that gap between the tub and the shower needs their head examine. They should have extended the tub desk to the shower and had a small pony wall. That gap will be tough to keep clean and will promote mold growth.

Mark

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The shower turned out great but whoever designed that gap between the tub and the shower needs their head examine. They should have extended the tub desk to the shower and had a small pony wall. That gap will be tough to keep clean and will promote mold growth.

Mark
GC done the planning. Dont give a plumber much working room in there either huh?

Glad I done it before the glass was installed

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Bill,
Your work looks great .

Whoever came up with the black stone is going to be HATED !! Everytime we do this ,, the HO gets pissed down the road because they CAN NOT keep the water spots off of it .

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
if anyone's under there for repairs down the line, they're going to have fun working through one of those tiny access panels, assuming they are access panels. the tub's the one part that just doesn't work for me. i think a pony wall would help tie it all together, right now it just looks like a hot tub sitting in the bathroom.

like i said earlier though, it's just my personal style issues that i'm dealing with. i know you didn't design it or pick the finishes, the work looks nice.

paul

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
To be honest the more I look at the pictures the more critical I am of the GC. It looks like he has three different stone colors, two different cabinet styles and two different wood colors. Then to top it off it looks like the vanity was to small for the top so he's added a filler to pull the vanity out. I'm guessing it's not a custom cabinet but a factory cabinet meant for a cultured top.

Mark

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
To be honest the more I look at the pictures the more critical I am of the GC. It looks like he has three different stone colors, two different cabinet styles and two different wood colors. Then to top it off it looks like the vanity was to small for the top so he's added a filler to pull the vanity out. I'm guessing it's not a custom cabinet but a factory cabinet meant for a cultured top.

Mark

i noticed all that too. it looks very confused and mismatched. like things were chosen for convenience and not to fit the design as a whole.

paul

·
Registered
11 Posts
All your stuff looks great! But it looks to me like they are paying a hell of alot of money with all that stone and stuff, that being said if I were the h.o. I would be really pissed about that ugly ass 2x4 behind my lav cabinet! You know what I mean?

·
Registered
141 Posts
That design looks horrible.. it does look like the gc just through everything together from parts left over .. the tile between the floor and wall look dirty already.. i like a darker tile on the floor brings out the fixtures better

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The HO picked out all the stone. GC nor I had anything to do with it. Now that everyone mentions it, does seem a bit odd!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts