Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
Man I am glad that I am out that Racket now,
Hell, its not that hard once you know what you are up against.
and have all the parts along with you......

·
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Hell, its not that hard once you know what you are up against.
and have all the parts along with you......

Just did another one today ...... took longer to drive across town than to actually change the valve out under warranty.

I ended up buying about a dozen of the white rogers valves on line last week because I was warned by our salesman that
Rheem was running out of the White Rogers valves and they were gonna be handing out those crappy Sit valves for replacements
Already have had 2 failures on them new out of the box......

I KNOW we are gonna get slammed with controls to change on wednesday and probably on thanks giving and the
day after on black friday, and Satruday and Sunday.......

·
Registered
91 Posts
Still haven’t heard back from Rheem, I’m guessing I’m getting boned on this warranty valve, or should I say the customer is. Maybe I’ll explain the Rheem meltdown and convince him to throw in a Bradford White or AO Smith.

·
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Still haven’t heard back from Rheem, I’m guessing I’m getting boned on this warranty valve, or should I say the customer is. Maybe I’ll explain the Rheem meltdown and convince him to throw in a Bradford White or AO Smith.

It depends on who installed the heater in the first place.....
My supply house where I buy my heaters from will deal with the controls
if I installed the heater

if it came from some hardware store
or someone else installed it..... they then can pay me for the labor and parts
and duke it out with Rheem themselves.....

·
Registered
91 Posts
It depends on who installed the heater in the first place.....
My supply house where I buy my heaters from will deal with the controls
if I installed the heater

if it came from some hardware store
or someone else installed it..... they then can pay me for the labor and parts
and duke it out with Rheem themselves.....
I don’t know who installed it, I just called Rheem and they said they were sending out a new control for free, I was going to charge the homeowner to install it. But now I haven’t heard back and I’m not really in the mood to hassle Rheem, because that’s more of my time. Plus I’d Rheem has a shortage of controls and are sending out more cheap defective controls, it might not even be worth my time to touch them.

·
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I don’t know who installed it, I just called Rheem and they said they were sending out a new control for free, I was going to charge the homeowner to install it. But now I haven’t heard back and I’m not really in the mood to hassle Rheem, because that’s more of my time. Plus I’d Rheem has a shortage of controls and are sending out more cheap defective controls, it might not even be worth my time to touch them.
You can get a white rogers off amazon or e-bay for about 100 each.... Just make the customer pay for both your
labor and valve....
Be sure to get the longer shank unit --- gonna still need the jumper wire for the piolet light

I am ready and waiting for a rush of them on black friday

·
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Is it a Fernco connecting Expansion Tank on a first post picture ?

I dont know what you mean....
it appears to be a brass or maybe a galvanized coupling
sitting on top of a 6 inch brass nipple....
I might have run out of brass couplings that day...

I dont think I have gone back yet to change out that control...
it must have been installed back before the pandemic

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
View attachment 130856 Mark is this the crappy gas valve you have been having issues with???got a call tonight that they had no hot water,less than a year old,I lit it back and it stayed lit so far but was wondering if this is the valve you have had so much trouble out of,and if it is what should I do to replace it????thanks
Mark,Hughes supply where I bought the Rheem heater sent me a white Rogers gas valve and overnighted me the striker adapter,I installed last week and so far so good,I had no problems in the replacement but I do see where it's real easy to cross thread the burner tube to the valve

·
Registered
2,599 Posts

Rheem has abandoned this Sit valve Right now in town their are a couple dozen of new apartment complexes with 400 units all with these
Sit valves in them and they are going bad left and right......LOL

View attachment 130857

f

I
How in the world did they vent all these gas water heaters in these apt complex's???you have to have so much open space for fresh air or bring in fresh air and exhaust from outside so in ky they always install electric water heaters in apt complexes

·
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
How in the world did they vent all these gas water heaters in these apt complex's???you have to have so much open space for fresh air or bring in fresh air and exhaust from outside so in ky they always install electric water heaters in apt complexes

I really dont know much about this....all I heard from a salesman who is dealing with the warranties paperwork
was that some townhouse type complexes in our area had a mess on their hands ...
400 units in one complex with most of them going out about 7 months after installlaton
that is good times for the maintaince man---

it has nothing to do with the venting.... just the shi//y sit control

·
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Mark,Hughes supply where I bought the Rheem heater sent me a white Rogers gas valve and overnighted me the striker adapter,I installed last week and so far so good,I had no problems in the replacement but I do see where it's real easy to cross thread the burner tube to the valve
actually the therrmocoupling can put up a real good fight.... and the other small tube for the piolit light can
also break off inside the old unit..... did they send you that brass nut and ferrull??

·
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
No I did not receive any nut or Ferrell
Well you got real lucky on your first one...... dont push your luck on the next one....
ask for the nut and ferruel and just keep it handy...

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I really dont know much about this....all I heard from a salesman who is dealing with the warranties paperwork
was that some townhouse type complexes in our area had a mess on their hands ...
400 units in one complex with most of them going out about 7 months after installlaton
that is good times for the maintaince man---

it has nothing to do with the venting.... just the shi//y sit control
Right I know it is nothing to do with the venting just wondering how they vented all those water heaters,and got by with it

·
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Right I know it is nothing to do with the venting just wondering how they vented all those water heaters,and got by with it
probably vented out the roof with the furnace
just like any other home....

their are a lot of single story condo doubles around
here on slabs in 50 and older communities
one floor with the furnace and heater in the garage....

how is this confusing you?? .

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
probably vented out the roof with the furnace
just like any other home....

their are a lot of single story condo doubles around
here on slabs in 50 and older communities
one floor with the furnace and heater in the garage....

how is this confusing you?? .
Because you have to have so much free airspace in order to install a gas water heater,also that's a ****load of vents penetrating the roof allowing for leaks everywhere,they would not be allowed to install gas wh's in Apts in Ky,not enough free floor space for air

·
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Because you have to have so much free airspace in order to install a gas water heater,also that's a ****load of vents penetrating the roof allowing for leaks everywhere,they would not be allowed to install gas wh's in Apts in Ky,not enough free floor space for air

you dont seem to be getting what I am saying..... its ok...

61 - 80 of 81 Posts