Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
They should have the kit now for the Piezo ignitor, they had a ton of White Rodgers valves in the factory but no kit for the ignitor.

Another issue I had with a brand new Rheem last month was a leaking anode rod from factory......never had that happen out of the box, I've had T&P's leaks, but not anodes...I'm hoping all the failures with the gas valves will be a wake up call for them to make there stuff better. Until last year Rheem 40 and 50 gallon gas where the most reliable.

·
philosopher and statesmen
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
They should have the kit now for the Piezo ignitor, they had a ton of White Rodgers valves in the factory but no kit for the ignitor.

Another issue I had with a brand new Rheem last month was a leaking anode rod from factory......never had that happen out of the box, I've had T&P's leaks, but not anodes...I'm hoping all the failures with the gas valves will be a wake up call for them to make there stuff better. Until last year Rheem 40 and 50 gallon gas where the most reliable.
They are all blaming Covid19 for the mess ups... the whole supply chain is going to hell due to people
just not doing their jobs and staying home

I just attempted to change out 2 elements on a rheem heater with basically the same elements from lowes
and the threading on the new elements was off enough that they would not thread totally into the socket....
I still had some older elements made by rheem in my truck dating back a few years and they worked fine ...

affirmative action at its best....

·
Super Moderator
9,281 Posts
They are all blaming Covid19 for the mess ups... the whole supply chain is going to hell due to people
just not doing their jobs and staying home

I just attempted to change out 2 elements on a rheem heater with basically the same elements from lowes
and the threading on the new elements was off enough that they would not thread totally into the socket....
I still had some older elements made by rheem in my truck dating back a few years and they worked fine ...

affirmative action at its best....
Somewhat related to what may explain this, My local HD is having a hard time with employees, a recently retired guy who worked at the pro counter, the store has tumbled into craziness because some employees refused to go to work because of the pandemic. Now they are gone for good. What didn't help either is the government gave money to people to stay home, these lowly paid workers took all the free money they could get now the store can't get enough quality employees to replace them.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
Somewhat related to what may explain this, My local HD is having a hard time with employees, a recently retired guy who worked at the pro counter, the store has tumbled into craziness because some employees refused to go to work because of the pandemic. Now they are gone for good. What didn't help either is the government gave money to people to stay home, these lowly paid workers took all the free money they could get now the store can't get enough quality employees to replace them.
that is the problem we have here, but a recent survey stated people( most of them) want to go back to work rather than get extra money to stay home....

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
that is the problem we have here, but a recent survey stated people( most of them) want to go back to work rather than get extra money to stay home....
This COVID 19 crap has made people sorryer than they ever were,people don't want to do a dam thing but sit back and draw a check,they don't give a crap about right and wrong

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
This COVID 19 crap has made people sorryer than they ever were,people don't want to do a dam thing but sit back and draw a check,they don't give a crap about right and wrong
the politicians made it too easy to stay home, but many do want to get back to work, as they see the handwritting on the wall..if they dont get back to work, the place they work for wont be there mucg longer to go back to work..and the demtards want this to send this country into financial ruin...

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
the politicians made it too easy to stay home, but many do want to get back to work, as they see the handwritting on the wall..if they dont get back to work, the place they work for wont be there mucg longer to go back to work..and the demtards want this to send this country into financial ruin...
I see it a lot in fast food,better check your order each and every time or it will be screwed up,and they will keep your change on purpose,sorry as ****

·
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·

I get a call from my rheem salesman today and he claims that all the white rogers valves are gone in
town and their is now a supply chain kind of back order on them and they dont know when they will
be getting more in.... I am hoping that I dont have another weekend trip to the other side of town to
repair or replace another crappy gas valve,,,, I have 4 in stock at this time....

I am not sure how we blame Donald Trump for this--- but I guess their has to be a way.....

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I get a call from my rheem salesman today and he claims that all the white rogers valves are gone in
town and their is now a supply chain kind of back order on them and they dont know when they will
be getting more in.... I am hoping that I dont have another weekend trip to the other side of town to
repair or replace another crappy gas valve,,,, I have 4 in stock at this time....

I am not sure how we blame Donald Trump for this--- but I guess their has to be a way.....
Same way they did obsma,what goes around comes around usually much worse,and it was

·
Registered
7,623 Posts

Because he made them move production back to the US where we don't have the proper educated workforce! lolz Should have let china make them like they do everything else!

I'm kidding, hakuna your tatas lolz The chinese are pretty serious about education though, it's amazing how much more people will learn and be good citizens when the only other option is being jailed!

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Same way they did obsma,what goes around comes around usually much worse,and it was
Because he made them move production back to the US where we don't have the proper educated workforce! lolz Should have let china make them like they do everything else!

I'm kidding, hakuna your tatas lolz The chinese are pretty serious about education though, it's amazing how much more people will learn and be good citizens when the only other option is being jailed!
That is probably more true than you realize.... Like if you try to teach 75% of the population of our country anything today
their parents end up suing the teacher and the school system for being mean to their retard children....
If we got rid of the power to sue everyone for every word and action that comes out of the teachers mouths,
our country might be a better place.... people might grow up and take responsibility for their lives instead of
trying to find a skumbag lawyer who will get them a pay day

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
That is probably more true than you realize.... Like if you try to teach 75% of the population of our country anything today
their parents end up suing the teacher and the school system for being mean to their retard children....

Pretty much. If the parents can't do multiplication or division in their heads anymore forget about them helping their kids with homework.

It used to be we respected people who were book smart and understood it was a skill like anything else. Nowadays people call them know it alls.

The parents don't like common core math because they don't understand it themselves, not because the kids can't learn it if they try. Then you add in that kids these days have way more distractions and you can forget learning in class. Every kid has their phone out under the desk.

Then they get a job and treat it like school. Work when the teacher is watching and chat on the phone when you can get away with it. It's sad how many kids out of tech school we have to scold for months about always being on their phones.

·
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
The shi/ storm continues to this day....
I am on the Rheem service site and I am
getting calls every day for the hardware store Richmond brand of water heater going out
left and right.... Today, Satruday I have received 3 calls from folks hoping I can bail them
out of their issues with heaters they probably installed themselves.... Those gas valves are dieing like flies

I explain to them that I dont have the valves handy, I am not coming out to fool around for nothing.
and they need to get the cit control valve sent to them first.... and of course they will have to pay
my labor cost to do the job... $250 and they can duke it out with Rheem for a reimbursment from them
and they can take that cit vale back to Menards and tangle with them about a refund... I cant waste
my time

The last time I attempted to pry some money out of Rheem it was about 3 months down the road before
I saw 90 bucks out of them--- 90 dollars just about fills my gas tank and that is about all it does for me...

Now, if Rheem would send me about 3 dozen of the new improved valves with a longer shank, then
I would gladly do this service..... for a price..

This problem is going to persist for probably years and years.......

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
The shi/ storm continues to this day....
I am on the Rheem service site and I am
getting calls every day for the hardware store Richmond brand of water heater going out
left and right.... Today, Satruday I have received 3 calls from folks hoping I can bail them
out of their issues with heaters they probably installed themselves.... Those gas valves are dieing like flies

I explain to them that I dont have the valves handy, I am not coming out to fool around for nothing.
and they need to get the cit control valve sent to them first.... and of course they will have to pay
my labor cost to do the job... $250 and they can duke it out with Rheem for a reimbursment from them
and they can take that cit vale back to Menards and tangle with them about a refund... I cant waste
my time

The last time I attempted to pry some money out of Rheem it was about 3 months down the road before
I saw 90 bucks out of them--- 90 dollars just about fills my gas tank and that is about all it does for me...

Now, if Rheem would send me about 3 dozen of the new improved valves with a longer shank, then
I would gladly do this service..... for a price..

This problem is going to persist for probably years and years.......

Camera accessory Camera Automotive tire Gas Gadget
Mark is this the crappy gas valve you have been having issues with???got a call tonight that they had no hot water,less than a year old,I lit it back and it stayed lit so far but was wondering if this is the valve you have had so much trouble out of,and if it is what should I do to replace it????thanks

·
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·

View attachment 130856 Mark is this the crappy gas valve you have been having issues with???got a call tonight that they had no hot water,less than a year old,I lit it back and it stayed lit so far but was wondering if this is the valve you have had so much trouble out of,and if it is what should I do to replace it????thanks
Yes you are correct.... That is the crappy Sit valve...
I have changed out about 75 of these little bastards....and probably got another
100 of them to do that we installed last year....

I fear I am going to be getting hit next week at thanksgiving and at x-mas for a bunch
of them... It seems that they go out on the weekends when heavy usages happens...

Home depot Pro had sent me 3 of these identical Sit valves for replacements and they
were all defective from the get go... Do not waste your time with them if they hand you
that junk to replace that junk....

Rheem has abandoned this Sit valve and has switched to
the White Rogers valve.... get them only with a longer shank if you can

Also, You have to get a special igniter wire that adapts to the orange line
to make the white rogers work properly..... also if you have a short fat unit
you might need a valve with an extra long shank to fit properly....

BE WARNED.... you might also get yourself into trouble when you attempt to
take out the aluminum piolet light nut off the bottom of the Sit valve...
Many times the nut and ferrule will not come out of the valve and are stuck in there
You have to yank it out HARD and it pulls the fitting apart, then you need a new nut and ferrul
to slide back onto that tube..... We have had to rob complete water heater burner
assemblies off new heaters just to get the job completed....

be sure to take a burner assembly with you just in case you need it or you will be seriously pissed off

I am also doing about 3 of these a week right now because I am on the Richmond --Ruud-- Rheem site
for warranty work........ At this time I am just chargeing the hardware store customers labor and the cost of the valve and letting
them duke it out with Rheem.... I dont have the time or patience to wait 3 months for reimbursment and we did not
install the heater in the first place..... You cannot get through right now on the rheem hot line because they
are overwhelmed

Right now in town their are a couple dozen of new apartment complexes with 400 units all with these
Sit valves in them and they are going bad left and right......LOL

The White Rojers gas valves are getting to be pretty scarce in town so I bought up a bunch of
them on E-bay and other supply houses....

I dont think that this problem is going to end for Rheem until ALL heaters made between Jan of 2020 and
through the end of November 2020 are totally changed out and those Sit valves are no longer out there....

Camera accessory Gas Cameras & optics Auto part Machine

f

I

·
Registered
123 Posts
The other week I was at a house replacing a PVC kitchen drain that was installed terribly wrong, it had about six inches of backfall over a five foot area above a drop ceiling. While I was up there a shined a light upstream to check the section above the drywall and found a deep sag in the line, about 2’-3’ of pipe looked almost melted. I went into the bathroom and ran the lav, checked temp and it was 155 degrees! It was a Rheem heater but with a Honeywell icon valve, i will say Rheem was great to work with as far as warranties go, I just gave them serial number and they shipped a new valve direct to the homeowner free of charge. Now I’m still waiting on the valve, I assume Rheem is a little backed up. I’m hoping the Honeywell swap out is more similar to typical icon valve changes and not a huge PITA like these other ones you’re dealing with.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts

I have changed out about 75 of these little bastards....and probably got another

I fear I am going to be getting hit next week at thanksgiving and at x-mas for a bunch
of them... It seems that they go out on the weekends when heavy usages happens...

Home depot Pro had sent me 3 of these identical Sit valves for replacements and they
were all defective from the get go... Do not waste your time with them if they hand you

Many times the nut and ferrule will not come out of the valve and are stuck in there
You have to yank it out HARD and it pulls the fitting apart, then you need a new nut and ferrul
to slide back onto that tube..... We have had to rob complete water heater burner

be sure to take a burner assembly with you just in case you need it or you will be seriously pissed off

I am also doing about 3 of these a week right now because I am on the Richmond --Ruud-- Rheem site
for warranty work........ At this time I am just chargeing the hardware store customers labor and the cost of the valve and letting
them duke it out with Rheem.... I dont have the time or patience to wait 3 months for reimbursment and we did not
install the heater in the first place..... You cannot get through right now on the rheem hot line because they
are overwhelmed

Right now in town their are a couple dozen of new apartment complexes with 400 units all with these

The White Rojers gas valves are getting to be pretty scarce in town so I bought up a bunch of

I dont think that this problem is going to end for Rheem until ALL heaters made between Jan of 2020 and
through the end of November 2020 are totally changed out and those Sit valves are no longer out there....

View attachment 130857

f

I
Ok thanks a bunch

·
Registered
2,789 Posts

are overwhelmed

View attachment 130857

f

I
So the burner assembly has to be replaced also???

·
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
So the burner assembly has to be replaced also???
I suggest it is just wise to bring a burner assembly along or get your hands on
some of those replacement nuts+ferruel parts or else you will waste your whole day
fooling around with it.... also you need the extension wire for the sparkey thing..

I carry 2 gas heaters with me so I just had to rob one off a new unit to get the job done.....

Now.. On average, maybe half of them will come apart "peaceable like "
and the other half the nut will fight you and will break off up in its own ass
when you try to pull it out.. this also means it just got broke off in your ass too...

and no body wants a nut broke off up in their ass.😆

enjoy the experience---

·
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
The other week I was at a house replacing a PVC kitchen drain that was installed terribly wrong, it had about six inches of backfall over a five foot area above a drop ceiling. While I was up there a shined a light upstream to check the section above the drywall and found a deep sag in the line, about 2’-3’ of pipe looked almost melted. I went into the bathroom and ran the lav, checked temp and it was 155 degrees! It was a Rheem heater but with a Honeywell icon valve, i will say Rheem was great to work with as far as warranties go, I just gave them serial number and they shipped a new valve direct to the homeowner free of charge. Now I’m still waiting on the valve, I assume Rheem is a little backed up. I’m hoping the Honeywell swap out is more similar to typical icon valve changes and not a huge PITA like these other ones you’re dealing with.

The wait time on the Rhem phone site is about 40 minutes....
if you hang up and call back its usually a busy signal

they got troubles right now

41 - 60 of 99 Posts