Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Municipalities in my area are required to publicly advertise for bids. I watch all the area papers like a hawk. Then it comes down to competitive bidding. Once you get your foot in the door with a municipality you can directly pick up other work with them, such as backflow prevention work or water service replacement. It's good to be friends with the municipal workers:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
How do ya get it?
Get involved in community service work, Rotary club, Kiwanas, attend council meetings etc... Getting to know people is very helpful.

I am involved in some community service with my local Rotary Club. Believe it or not I have found it fun as well.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Around here you must be a union shop. They then take bids on the job and whoever has lined the pockets of the whatever commissioner is in charge the most gets the job.

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
Try your local chamber of commerce events as well. Be prepaired if joining any group to adj pricing most of them want a break because we are buddys now.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I don't even know what a rotory club is.
Protech- I didn't either. It was a great thing i did for myself. Rotary among many others are charitable organizations of which you meet once a week. Rotary is a group of individual business and organizational directors, owners, upper level managers etc.

I went in to network my business. Three months later I could have cared less about the business end and was really enjoying the people and the things we were doing in the club. 6 months into it was invited to be a part of a charitable project at an impovershed little school in the bahamas. This past May we traveled there and built a playground and computerized this little school. I was having one of he most difficult months ever in business. All I can say is how rewarding it was to for others, it actually made me feel better.

As for the business end, it works like this. You get to know people and build relationships and hopefully have fun along the way. Eventually it starts with a referal or two. The rest builds from there.

BNI (business networking int'l) is another good source for networking and relationship building. getting to KNOW people.

·
Registered
468 Posts
In San Diego , the buzzword is "Equal Opportunity". On the city council are one black, one hispanic, one lesbian, and a few more generally sympathetic to the others. The council has a policy to encourage city contracts to go to contractors with a record of employment of minority persons, including women, and especially the LGBT varities. If you are a company of any significant size, you need to have not just worker bees but management types of the minority persuasions.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Around here you must be a union shop. They then take bids on the job and whoever has lined the pockets of the whatever commissioner is in charge the most gets the job.

LOL. Sound like you live in Rochester :laughing:

But I also agree with the others, get to know people period,

The bigger network you have the more work you'll have, that's what my bosses tell me anyway :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts