Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Plumber, Totally
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a customer that stated he had less and less hot water....this heater has been installed just as shown for over 4 years.
It is in the basement laundry room in the center of the house, backing up to a garage. Daughter's bedroom with infant girl lives in adjoining room.
Customer stated that the previous plumber told him that it didn't need to be vented because of the "new sealed burner."
I quoted him our standard rate to replace and re-connect the flue, then he told me that the guy that put it in only charged him $200.00, and I was too high! I don't want customers like him, anyway.

Attachments

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I'd have to call the inspector before somebody died if the client didn't want to pay me to make the repair.

I wouldn't want that on my conscience.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
What an idiot, someone should report him!
The worst part is the first guy .......jeez , how do you live with yourself not venting a water heater with kids in the house.....

That clearly had to be a shop with a bunch of wet backs to water heater swaps , you know the " in and outs"

There getting paid as the old heater is still on the side of the house dripping and so is the flux

What a horrible mess

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
This was a customer that stated he had less and less hot water....this heater has been installed just as shown for over 4 years.
It is in the basement laundry room in the center of the house, backing up to a garage. Daughter's bedroom with infant girl lives in adjoining room.
Customer stated that the previous plumber told him that it didn't need to be vented because of the "new sealed burner."
I quoted him our standard rate to replace and re-connect the flue, then he told me that the guy that put it in only charged him $200.00, and I was too high! I don't want customers like him, anyway.
Man you have got to report that! We share the same market and neither of us need people like that in the trade. CO can do a lot of damage without killing you. Ask the HO how many people in the house have chronic fatigue and/or headaches. Make certain that they understand that CO is colorless and odorless and that he's been lucky so far but one morning someone is not going to wake up for school or work and maybe even nobody in the house will.

THAT IS HORRENDOUSLY DANGEROUS! The tank is a whirlpool and so it obviously came from Blowe's. Tell the HO to pay you whatever you ask immediately and then tell him to call the guy at the number on the refrigerator and he will get him all of his money back plus a whole lot more. Document everything and if it ever gets to court, make a tidy sum as an expert witness. Whoever did it should be driven out of the trade in shame and Blowe's should be made to pay for sending someone like that out there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh my God! I would have turned off the gas and called an inspector IMMEDIATELY!! then I would find out who did it and report them. I would also write down and document everything that i saw and explain the severity of the situation to the HO and then get him to sign saying that he did'nt want me to do anything, I would also take pictures ( as you obviously did ) That is extremely DANGEROUS! shoot here they would fail it for having a valve on the hot side.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Come to think of it, if you don't report it, I bet you are setting yourself up for some kind of liability jeopardy later on if anything happens since you were there and didn't notify anybody even though you had nothing to do with the install. That guy on the refrigerator won't care one bit that you didn't install it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
WHat a F****ng Ass guys like that need a beat down ,, and what the hell is that ell facing up going outside the house...

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Yea, looking at it, that ell probably spins freely. i would have at least tried that. If I would have seen that, i would have either sold him at least a CM detector, or a parrot. "Take your pick, The bird or the differnt smoke alarm?", "whats that sir?", " Oh no sir, the parrot doesn't need batteries."

·
Banned
383 Posts
people have died from bad venting, how in the hell is anyone in that house alive. that is the biggest pile of bulls!%$ ive seen. you should have called the local inspector immediatly and start the ball rolling on s!%thammering this a-hole. if you have not called do so now. or at least the gas co.

·
Plumber, Totally
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow...

I guess I should have posted what I did after I left the house....

1. I shut off the gas
2. I informed the HO that this is the most dangerous thing I have seen
3. I called the Gas Co.
4. I called the plumbing/gas inspection office
5. I informed the customer that I was going to make the calls, and he couldn't stop me.
6. I had the customer sign a "hold-harmless" agreement specifically mentioning the improperly installed water heater.

I'll post his name and phone number if you need to speak with him directly.

BTW , he stated that this install was done by a handyman. go figure.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
I swear, these freakin handy men. I would try my best to find out who this unhandy man is and stick it to his ass. These SOB's around here do plumbing work all the time. No license either. I try to keep up with the new ones that pop up around here. Have a fairly new one, called and asked them about plumbing work, said they had a plumbing license, that they could remodel my bathroom, move the toilet over 15" for me in the slab.
Checked them out online, no license. Really pees me off. Charge over 85 an hour too.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Kill the gas, call the inspector, make the HO call the idiot who did this and have them fix it right, pay the fines for not being licensed etc....That is Bullshit!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
i'd like to invite the original installer up here and take him for a walk at the flow-edge.

nobody would ever know.

Vince

if i were the HO, i would sue

1 - 20 of 31 Posts