Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was your most disgusting job you ever had to do (plumbing related)

We got a call about 4 years ago from a woman who said her toidy was not flushing. We go and she points towards the bathroom, then turns and walks away (Red flag:eek:) I go into the bathroom and here is the toidy. Man that place wreaked, I swear it singed my nose hairs! I lift the toidy seat and the crapper was full of crap to the brim:eek: And I mean there was NO logs, it was soupy! (Hows that commercial go for Nesquick? Oh yes, "Its so rich and thick and chocolaty")

I attempted to insert the plunger (Very slowly) then gave about 3 pumps and whoosh! There was a noxious gas that would had killed a rat! I got it going and asked the woman "How long has it been like that?" to which she responded "Oh, just since yesterday!"

I dont think so. And who was the last one to "Sit" on it? bet you they more so "Squatted"

I have never seen anything or delt with anything more grossed out than that!

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Most disgusting, went to auger a toilet, and the lady of the house would not use the toilet cause it would not flush, instead she used a bucket no water in it and left it next to toilet, sorry hope you not having dinner right now.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Call came in for a stopped up sewer line and busted water line under a house. We load up and make it over there. I step out of the truck and smell sewer, everywhere:nuke: I walked across the yard and it was just gu.... the grass was sinking under my feet! I knew right then it was going to be a bad day. We dug up the sewer line coming out of the house and it was clay tile. A hole had been busted in it so we snaked through it. We never could get the line to drain down so we tried the blow bag. There was water blowing up at five different places in the HOs yard. Not good. So we sold him a sewer repipe. I figured we would dig up the old line since it was bad anyways and repalce it with PVC. No big deal I had just finished a re-pipe earlier that day. We made a emergency call into One-Call and got the dig site marked. I started digging up the old line, we were pumping the ditch out at the same time because sewer was steading pouring into the ditch. I figured the ground was just saturated. Once I got to the city tap I realized that we had a problem. I hit the tap with my bucket on the mini-x and sewer shot up about 5ft! The mains were all stopped up all the way up the street and he was at the lowest point of the main. Come to find out the city had been stopped up for a couple of days and since his line was busted his yard was the drain point for the entire street.I had to get the city out to unstop their mains. It was nasty!:laughing: I finally walked away form there the next day. He pooed on us too... I have pictures but I will keep it clean:yes: Oh I sent someone else over the day after we finished the re-pipe to fix the water leak. Underneath the house was worse because it was a little lower than the yard and all the sewer drained there. It was like a cest pool....

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Most disgusting, went to auger a toilet, and the lady of the house would not use the toilet cause it would not flush, instead she used a bucket no water in it and left it next to toilet, sorry hope you not having dinner right now.
:eek::w00t: Thats nasty!! I love threads like this, my wife says Im crazy but I like getting into jobs people won't touch. Its my money maker!

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Call came in for a stopped up sewer line and busted water line under a house. We load up and make it over there. I step out of the truck and smell sewer, everywhere:nuke: I walked across the yard and it was just gu.... the grass was sinking under my feet! I knew right then it was going to be a bad day. We dug up the sewer line coming out of the house and it was clay tile. A hole had been busted in it so we snaked through it. We never could get the line to drain down so we tried the blow bag. There was water blowing up at five different places in the HOs yard. Not good. So we sold him a sewer repipe. I figured we would dig up the old line since it was bad anyways and repalce it with PVC. No big deal I had just finished a re-pipe earlier that day. We made a emergency call into One-Call and got the dig site marked. I started digging up the old line, we were pumping the ditch out at the same time because sewer was steading pouring into the ditch. I figured the ground was just saturated. Once I got to the city tap I realized that we had a problem. I hit the tap with my bucket on the mini-x and sewer shot up about 5ft! The mains were all stopped up all the way up the street and he was at the lowest point of the main. Come to find out the city had been stopped up for a couple of days and since his line was busted his yard was the drain point for the entire street.I had to get the city out to unstop their mains. It was nasty!:laughing: I finally walked away form there the next day. He pooed on us too... I have pictures but I will keep it clean:yes: Oh I sent someone else over the day after we finished the re-pipe to fix the water leak. Underneath the house was worse because it was a little lower than the yard and all the sewer drained there. It was like a cest pool....
I bet you pull a manhole on rod jobs now.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Yes I do:thumbup: I guess I was figuring it was just his line because the neighbors were not complaining about the sewer being stopped up... cause it was draining in his yard

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
I have gotten into jobs with collapsed sewer lines and kotexs and everything in the world be in them.

Not for the faint of heart, lol.

·
Plumbing and Gas SCO
1,437 Posts
OK, the worst I was ever involved with was a sewer blockage at a funeral home.
The clean-out is in the embalming room. There was a half a corpse watching me the entire time ( hips up ). The embalming process involves inserting fluid into an arterie and draining through one on the other end of the body. The blood being drained goes into the municipal sewer system. So imagine this, I open the cleanout to find, congealed blood, skin hair, bits of flesh etc. Talk about "gag a maggot" I ran the snake through the blockage and ran all the hot water they had down the drain with the auger still in place. I took the snake back out and put it into the service van (BIG MISTAKE!!) and billed the client. When I went into the van I lost my lunch. WOW what a stink. I drove to the nearest car wash with the back doors open and the windows down. I was just finishing cleaning the equipment when the car wash manager came out and started yelling at me: :rolleyes:. That was the end of the day for me.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
:w00t::eek: Thats nasty!

Had another one in a Freds building we had just remodeled. The store had been running about a week or two and a call came in for a stopped up sewer. When I got there they said both bathrooms were flooded and it stunk! real bad.... Pull the cleanout cover I had installed and there it was a big pile of it. Flush with the cleanout on the floor level. We installed the sewer about 3 foot deep so thats how bad it was backed up. I told my helper to go get the K-50. I started running the cable and it turned into churned butt butter. I have yet to smell something that rancid. The line partially drained down and I told him to start flushing toliets, it backed up again then finally broke loose. I ran water for a while before I extracted my cable.... It still has that funky smell on it:laughing:

·
Registered
28 Posts
How about getting a call from a creamatorium (sp?)...Their creamator didn't work right. so I get there a they say it is empty, so we fire it up. Lift up the viewing door and low and behold....

there is a body inside...

got it going, but man, what a tough job

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
Worst drain job I've ever done. Customer has backed up downstairs toilet that leaks water from the base when the upstairs toilet flushes. There's a 1/2" of water in the bathroom floor with poo floating in it. I tell the customer that that needs to get cleaned up before I can pull the toilet.

I go out side to the cleanout and there's a tree downstream about 5 ft away. On a feeling, I get a garden hose and pour water in the cleanout. Fills right up. Easy day I thought. I snake through the cleanout and pull out a root ball. That took about 20 min. I'm thinking this is too easy.

I go inside and the customers are playing video games. To give you a mental picture. 1 guy, almost 6'6", rail thin and gay as can be (not that there's anything wrong with that). His roomate is a short, squaty female w/ a husky voice; also a tambourine player. She was definently the masculine one. Fustrated at the lack of concern, I decide to pull the toilet standing in the poo water.

Thinking the clog was gone, I run the sink and water comes right out of the base again. Another clog. Remember when I said the toilet was backed up? As I lift the toilet, a mound of poo rises from the bottom about 4" high. With the smell and seeing this, I'm not getting sick, I'm getting mad. I set my snake up and run 15 ft in. Poo gone. I run the sink, no water, success.

There's so much poo everwhere, I get 3- 5 gal buckets of hot water and wash off the flange and the floor to get things cleaned up. The smell won't go away. I realize what one BIG problem was once I could see the flange.

The toilet flange had previously broke on the side where the hold down bolts go so a previous plumber got another toilet flange and turned it UPSIDE down on the broken one and tap-conned it in the floor. So there's a pipe sticking up about 1 1/2" and that's what they had placed the flanged wax ring on. I took that off and fixed it right. The pair hit pause on their game long enough to clean the bathroom and I reset the toilet. And the stoppage? Paper towels is what's on the end of my snake. They ran out of toilet paper and were using paper towels.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts