Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you the type of service plumbers that are at the shop at 6 am,or do you come in at 8 30 ,like I do,but has no finishing time.New Sheriff in town,wants everybody at the shop for 7 00.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
I don't do early morning calls, unless it is a severe emergency. I specialize in 24 hour emergency service. That means a lot of night calls. I was out until 2 am last night fixing stuff. I schedule my first service call of the day at 10 am. Regular business hours for me is 10 am to 6 pm.:thumbsup: After 6 pm, its an extra charge for the trip out. I am in bed until about 8 am or later, then I get up, get ready, answer the phone, do paperwork, etc. I usually leave the house around 9:30 am.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Serviceguy and i are on the same wave length. I spent the past five years getting up a 5am to be at the shop by 7am. Now that i have my own business, its around 9 or 10 am, untill. Plus, alot of my customers dont get home from work till after 4. Am 24hrs as well though. Emeregency call is a call that is not scheduled for the day after 5.pm, so it works for me just well.
Your new sherrif wants a little bit of control to let you know that just indeed, he is the new sherrif. Just tell him that that isn't going to work for you. I'm sure he will understand.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I like to be at my customers house early .. But i always wind up around 9-10am i dont mind working a little later.. i do alot of renovations so i try to work and get as much done as possible,,

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
I usually don't leave till around 9 - 9:30.
People have kids to take to school and I don't want to be up their ass too early. Plus I am up late on this damn website so I don't get to sleep usually till 2....I see ******* on here at 3 - 4 - 5 A.M. his time posting! I used to do speed too, it's ok. HA HA...kidding

I usually take 2 showers a day - I am a germaphobe but will tear out old sewers barehanded and eat lunch like nothing. But I can't touch the door handle to a Starbucks or the knobs to a bathroom. I'm a bit monkish.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
I usually don't leave till around 9 - 9:30.
People have kids to take to school and I don't want to be up their ass too early. Plus I am up late on this damn website so I don't get to sleep usually till 2....I see ******* on here at 3 - 4 - 5 A.M. his time posting! I used to do speed too, it's ok. HA HA...kidding

I usually take 2 showers a day - I am a germaphobe but will tear out old sewers barehanded and eat lunch like nothing. But I can't touch the door handle to a Starbucks or the knobs to a bathroom. I'm a bit monkish.
You know that's funny 'cause now that I think about it I'm kind of the same way a little bit. I won't touch the hand rail on a staircase. Public doors that push open I will push either high or low or with my foot rather than the bar. Then I'll go get poo slung all over me from a sewer cable and just keep right on trucking. I do carry a spare uniform though.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Oh yeah, I would love to be at my first stop by 7:30 or 8:00 am but it's usually closer to 9:00 am. My kids go to the same private school but different campuses as of this year. They were both at the same campus last year and my wife could take them but this year we each have to take one to school every morning which makes it almost impossible to be anywhere by 8:00 am.

Yesterday was a good example of why I like to start as early as possible. My last stop turned out to be a jet job that was going to require me to get on the roof. If I had had one more hour of daylight I could have gotten it done but as it is I will be trying to squeeze them into today's schedule which means that I won't have any more room to squeeze whoever calls today into today's schedule. Sometimes daylight equals revenue.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I go to the shop first many day`s so I can get the heat going for my wife. She gets there around 9:30am I get there around 8:30 to 9:00am. I try to hit the first call by 10:am and work all night as I do a lot of late night calls.
Once in a while I`ll go to work at 6:am "if" I have a sewer install but thats the only time I really get started working before 10:am :D

I like my sleep :thumbsup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
i'm a bit of an early bird. i like to get started early and finish early if i can. usually it's up at 5am, to the shop by 7am and off to my calls. if all goes well, i'm knocking off work at 3pm. but this being plumbing....many things can and will go wrong and i'll work till the jobs done.

·
Registered
584 Posts
We do mostly new construction work. Starting time is 7 and quitting time is 3:30. We are almost always the first ones on the job which is nice. The first one there gets the best parking spot. Sometimes parking can be a real nightmare. We get set up where we need to be first so other people have to work around us, not the other way around. It also looks good when you beat the GC there everyday. You do have to listen to everyone taunting you for packing up at three but they're just jealous.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'm probably the laziest guy here. I don't start jobs until about ten. Sometimes, I don't even get up until eight. But I have to have some time set aside to take calls. My dear, sweet Elizabeth isn't up to it because of poor health.

If things get busy, which is rare, I get more efficient. Lately, with the holidays coming, I get out more on weekends. In fact, sometimes I get more weekend calls than during the week.

And I try to be done for the day around 4:30 - 5:00, but I'll work much later if there is any.

Years ago, when I plumbed houses, it wasn't unusual to be working a lot more hours. When my dad died in '92, I took a year and a half off to work on my own house - I found myself putting in about fifteen hours a day laying blocks and pouring concrete, every day. I don't have that much energy anymore. But I seem to have enough to get done whatever I need to do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts