Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Plumbing Contractor
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a moen stem removel tool I can't think on it's technical name right now. But I used it once on a deck mount to remove the retainig ring. Went back to the same house do to sand still in the lines at the Masterbath Tub. I can't get that tool to grab the slots like it did last time. I feel it seat in to the groves, Feels like I'm spinning the ring loose, But it's not spinning any thoughts or ideas how to get this piece of crap apart?:cry:

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Is this the tool your talking about?

·
Plumbing Contractor
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Close

Ron
It kinda looks like that. But mine has a tee handle with a bolt that goes down the middle to screw into the stem to help pull it out. i wish I could get a picture of it to show you.

But for the most part it the same concept of the one you are showing me. Got any suggestings?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
This tool here?

Or this tool?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Is this the cartridge your dealing with?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Or is this what your dealing with?

Attachments

·
Plumbing Contractor
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's like the bottom one. I will try to take a pic of my tool this week end and try to post it on here.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Dude, please don't. I really, really could do with out that.

Kidding man! I know what you meant. Just couldn't pass up a chance to razz you a bit.
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
If your dealing with roman tub valve, you need to use this tool, it is designed to unscrew the retainer ring, not so sure the other tee handle tool is for that purpose, if you look at any parts break down found on Moen site it will show this one tool, this could be the cause of the trouble on removing the retaining ring.

·
Plumbing Contractor
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Tool

Here is 2 pictures of it.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
That tool is for pulling single handle cartridges, the pic is to small for me to tell if is for the non posi temp cartridge or the one that does posi temp and non posi temp, but it won't work on any two handle Moen valve.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
This is the tool you need.

·
Plumbing Contractor
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess I will have to track one of those down.:cry: The 3 suppliers I mainly deal with don't sale a whole lot of Moen stuff. I stumbled across the one tool I have it cost me like $35.00 it worked once to get the retaining ring out but I can't get it to work again. :eek:
Thank you for helping me out.

There is one thing I have to say, I can NOT stand moen faucets.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
I guess I will have to track one of those down.:cry: The 3 suppliers I mainly deal with don't sale a whole lot of Moen stuff. I stumbled across the one tool I have it cost me like $35.00 it worked once to get the retaining ring out but I can't get it to work again. :eek:
Thank you for helping me out.

There is one thing I have to say, I can NOT stand moen faucets.
Get a phone number for your local Moen rep, more than likely he will send you the tool you need for free, they are generally very good at taking care of the trade.

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
If you really want to fix this Moen faucet right, take that piece of $hit out and install a delta faucet.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
I bought 2 moen extractor tools and they have been riding around in my truck still in the plastic bags they came in for a looooooong time. I bought them because I didn't won't to get caught needing them and not have them but have never had to use them. Delta is king here which I don't ever recommend for a new install but they sure are easy and profitable to work on from a repair standpoint.

The worst part of this thread is that I thought I had everything I need to work on Moen should I ever run across it but apparantly that is not the case. I thought Kohler was bad because they re-engineer everything they produce which requires a gazillion different repair parts but at least you don't need a lot of special tools to work on them. I think my recommendation will simply be replacement if I ever come across Moen.

I almost installed a Moen t/s valve a year or so ago. I confess, I was in a hurry didn't have my usual Gerber 3 handle replacement valve and picked up a Moen at Blowe's (I am sufficiently ashamed for having actually bought a faucet at Blowe's). Got back to the job took it out of the box, saw what a piece of crap it was, boxed it back up, returned it and drove to the supply house to pick up what I knew I needed to begin with.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts