Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm from Minneapolis. Journeyman Plumber. I went through the 5 year Union program trade school where they teach you absolutely nothing about service plumbing. It was a weird use of time.

·
Registered
10,063 Posts
Hi, I'm from Minneapolis. Journeyman Plumber. I went through the 5 year Union program trade school where they teach you absolutely nothing about service plumbing. It was a weird use of time.

·
Registered
Plumber, Pipe Fitter, General Gas Fitter, Oil burner Mechanic Plus more Certificates
412 Posts
Just give us a little more about yourself. I think you're the right kind of person for the site.
Welcome

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in Minneapolis. I am a new union journeyman plumber with a license from Minnesota. I started in San Diego, tagging along with with a few small service shops for 6 months. I moved back to Minneapolis where I learned about the union. I went through the 5.5 year night school for the union apprentices. I worked all new construction during that time. 3 years of apartments. 1 year of houses. 1 year of random commercial places like a warehouses, Walmart, State Fair grounds etc. 8500 hours are required to take your state test for the union apprenticeship. Most apprentices have between 1-2 years of experience prior to being excepted into apprentice program, I had 16 months. Once excepted, hours start at zero, you need 8500 from that point.

I would like to start my own one man service shop but I need to put in more time as a journeyman.

As a second year apprentice I gave myself a black eye with a wrench handle slipping, undoing a plastic p-trap with a Channellock wrench under a sink.
As a 4th year apprentice I worked with a journeyman who was drunk every day and did next to nothing for an entire summer.
My final job as an apprentice at an apartment, my Forman was the biggest prick of all time and I will challenge anyone who says they have met a bigger prick.

·
Registered
10,063 Posts
As a second year apprentice I gave myself a black eye with a wrench handle slipping, undoing a plastic p-trap with a Channellock wrench under a sink.
As a 4th year apprentice I worked with a journeyman who was drunk every day and did next to nothing for an entire summer.
My final job as an apprentice at an apartment, my Forman was the biggest prick of all time and I will challenge anyone who says they have met a bigger prick.
welcome aboard, nice intro..dont be shy to join in any thread, youll need to have a thick skin, as the mud gets slung around, but for fun for qualified members..those that dont..well not too much..

lol..you havent met me.....

·
Registered
Master Plumber
205 Posts
I live in Minneapolis. I am a new union journeyman plumber with a license from Minnesota. I started in San Diego, tagging along with with a few small service shops for 6 months. I moved back to Minneapolis where I learned about the union. I went through the 5.5 year night school for the union apprentices. I worked all new construction during that time. 3 years of apartments. 1 year of houses. 1 year of random commercial places like a warehouses, Walmart, State Fair grounds etc. 8500 hours are required to take your state test for the union apprenticeship. Most apprentices have between 1-2 years of experience prior to being excepted into apprentice program, I had 16 months. Once excepted, hours start at zero, you need 8500 from that point.

I would like to start my own one man service shop but I need to put in more time as a journeyman.

First of all let me say it first SRDH will certainly let you know that he is in possession of the biggest.

secondly if you want to do service you need to go to work for a service company and gain the needed experience. Even if that means taking a pay cut at first. If it’s really what you want to do it will be worth the sacrifice.

·
Registered
10,063 Posts
First of all let me say it first SRDH will certainly let you know that he is in possession of the biggest.

secondly if you want to do service you need to go to work for a service company and gain the needed experience. Even if that means taking a pay cut at first. If it’s really what you want to do it will be worth the sacrifice.
you didnt read my post...lol

·
Registered
Master Plumber
205 Posts
In Massachusetts there are many companies in the union that specialize in service. The hourly rate is significantly less than the new construction side but you still get all the health/retirement benefits. I’d be curious to know if it’s similar in MN.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts