Xmas deals at the cheapo-depot

8” adjustable wrench, $20
Package says it Adjusts up to 1-1/2”
But it actually adjusts to 1-5/8”
Or
12” adjustable wrench $40
Package says it adjusts up to 1-5/8”
It maxes out at 1-5/8”

They both measure 1-5/8” max with a Milwaukee tape measure.

and yes I know its 4” longer …
that’s what she said..

8”- $20
Font Material property Bicycle part Machine Metal

12”-$40
Bicycle part Handgun holster Font Metal Machine

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Milwaukee fail!
Xmas deals at the cheapo-depot

8” adjustable wrench, $20
Package says it Adjusts up to 1-1/2”
But it actually adjusts to 1-5/8”
Or
12” adjustable wrench $40
Package says it adjusts up to 1-5/8”
It maxes out at 1-5/8”

They both measure 1-5/8” max with a Milwaukee tape measure.

and yes I know its 4” longer …
that’s what she said..

8”- $20
View attachment 131271

12”-$40
View attachment 131270
Won't fit a flushvalve

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For Flush valve/over flow- nut, unions on P traps and water filters (and a few other things)
I use these:
(Much better, and way smaller then a set of 20” CL pliers.)
Hand tool Wire stripper Font Audio equipment Tool

·
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Knipex pliers wrench. They make baby ones all the way to monster ones. I have every size. I haven’t used a crescent in a decade.
i have crescent wrenches, but never use them.
For the most part, Channel lock have gotten every job done for me in the last 25+ years.

knipex are a great with a awesome design(I own some)..
but they’re too pricy for what Channel lock will do the same for a 1/3 of the price. CL’s take a beating from used as a hammer, to being heated while soldering, to sitting wet in a bucket for a few days, they keep on going, and who cares if they get lost or left behind..

·
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your hands and knuckles will love Knipex. They are worth the price. For tools I use every day I buy the best quality.
my hands and knuckles are no more of less beat up then yours.
Just cuz CL pliers are simple and cheaper doesn’t mean their quality is any less.

·
4th year apprentice
915 Posts
I hate, hate, hate adjustables. I haven't used one in 3 years. My smooth jawed knipex do everything an adjustable can do, only better. I use them on chrome all the time. I still remember the day when someone introduced knipex to me. I felt like John Belusi when the heavens opened up and shined down upon me. I love them more than any tools I own. CL are good, they were the gold standard of their time, but now something even better has come along. I still have a large pair on the truck that I seldom use, that I can't justify buying knipex, if indeed they even make em that big. The other CL have gone up to my camp, which is the last stop on my tool progression before I give or throw something away.

·
4th year apprentice
915 Posts
I've never been big on buying red hand tools just because it had the name on it. I do like many of their power tools. I just bought their utility knife with the fold away combo screw driver. Just love that idea, but at 20 bucks I still walked out of the store feeling I got raped.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
So you guys use channel locks/ knipex on chrome?
I use a crescent wrench or my channellocks with worn teeth.

If it's something really tight I use my sharpest channellocks, grip really tightly, and accept the fact that I will be making some slight teeth marks. Better than scraping the chrome off.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Super Moderator
10,417 Posts
I hate, hate, hate adjustables. I haven't used one in 3 years. My smooth jawed knipex do everything an adjustable can do, only better. I use them on chrome all the time. I still remember the day when someone introduced knipex to me. I felt like John Belusi when the heavens opened up and shined down upon me. I love them more than any tools I own. CL are good, they were the gold standard of their time, but now something even better has come along. I still have a large pair on the truck that I seldom use, that I can't justify buying knipex, if indeed they even make em that big. The other CL have gone up to my camp, which is the last stop on my tool progression before I give or throw something away.
Over 20 years ago in the Corps we called adjustable wrenches, or crescent wrenches, ”round-all’s”. I use them everyday now. Stops, supplies, and the needed hammer at times.

I have 4 sizes on my truck, different brands. In plumbing, with chrome stuff, and used properly they do a good job. Much different application than avionic ordnance.

·
4th year apprentice
915 Posts
It's all in what you are used to, or in some cases what you learn to accept. I'm willing to bet that if you gave up your crescents for a month and used the smooth jawed knipex that you would not go back.

·
4th year apprentice
915 Posts
So all of this talk has gotten me all hot and bothered for a few more knipex, which I could use. I might have gotten lucky with my original sets, just guessing on what I needed, and in one case just relied on a specific recommendation.
For those of you enlightened few who share my fetish, which models do you like? Having a hard time distinguishing between so many models that all look alike and have the exact same descriptions on the website.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
I'm surprised no one mentioned one of these.
View attachment 131274
I have those in 12", but the overall pattern is too thin to be comfortable. If you're in a tight spot channellocks work better because you can make smaller adjustments, doesn't have to be a sixth of a turn at a time.

If I need large flat jaws I have a Trimo that is basically a pipe wrench with flat jaws and less slop. If I need the offset head I use a large crescent wrench.

I keep telling myself I will cut the handles short on some old 440's for trap nuts in pedestals, still haven't gotten around to it.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777
1 - 20 of 29 Posts