Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of you guys using for tracking vehicle milage? My accountant said I should be tracking mage. I'm thinking some sort of automatic GPS system that can integrate with quick books online.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
We write down our mileage when we get gas. We also have cellular gps trackers, makes the dispatcher's job much easier.

Reactions: OpenSights

·
Registered
Master Plumber
382 Posts
We have gps cubes that plug into the OBD port and it sends all sorts of maintenance reminders, speed alerts, and idle alerts to the office. Plus we have fleet cards that we use when we get gas that records the mileage and a driver ID number every time you fill up the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We write down our mileage when we get gas. We also have cellular gps trackers, makes the dispatcher's job much easier.
It was not meant as knowing where the vehicle is exactly. It's for the purpose of tax deductions. So some gps system that records the trips and milage for tax purposes.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have gps cubes that plug into the OBD port and it sends all sorts of maintenance reminders, speed alerts, and idle alerts to the office. Plus we have fleet cards that we use when we get gas that records the mileage and a driver ID number every time you fill up the vehicle.
I have no use for all that but simply want it to track trip locations and milage for tax purposes.

·
Registered
Master Plumber
382 Posts
I have no use for all that but simply want it to track trip locations and milage for tax purposes.

I’m pretty sure the GPS cubes that our company uses are through the cell carrier and are relatively inexpensive about $30/month or so.

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
It was not meant as knowing where the vehicle is exactly. It's for the purpose of tax deductions. So some gps system that records the trips and milage for tax purposes.

I’m pretty sure the GPS cubes that our company uses are through the cell carrier and are relatively inexpensive about $30/month or so.
What I was told is that the cost of the gps cube per month, 20ish$ per van, was more than made up for by the discount we got from our vehicle insurer.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I was told is that the cost of the gps cube per month, 20ish$ per van, was more than made up for by the discount we got from our vehicle insurer.
I'm not sure I could get a discount on insurance as I only have the basic liability on it. It's too old to pay that much extra for the full insurance. Perhaps tool value would make a difference as the tools in the van are insured. I'll have to ask my agent about that.

·
Registered
6,714 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
This is what I use. Start filling the truck, write down mileage, PPG and write down the total. I also save the receipt and write the mileage on that too. I keep it on my sun visor with one of those big black office clips.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts