Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to speak with plumbing contractors in Michigan, preferably southeastern Michigan. Currently, my husband own's a plumbing company in Portland, Oregon, however, I have been trying to get him to move back to Michigan where I am originally from. He has many concerns about the unknown, and no amount of searching has provided me with the answers; I need to speak to the source. If there is anyone out there who is willing to take the time to share their local knowledge, I would be greatly appreciative.

·
Super Moderator
7,257 Posts
I can't really speak for SE Michigan, but I have done some work down that way. It really all depends on where you are. Gross Point has lots of old cool buildings, ten blocks away it looks like a war zone.

I hear plumbing is booming up in the Flint area, but that's due to their wonderful water fiasco....

Around my area all the trades have been slammed for the past 7-8 months. At one point we were booking three weeks in advance for projects and barely being able to fit all the emergencies in. Thankfully we're only booking into next week.

That being said, I know of one plumber who closed up shop in that time, and I'm sure it'll slow down again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have quite a few questions, so I'll try to narrow it down to the most important.

Are most of the calls you get from new customers or established clientele? Are most calls for service work or remodel?

I have noticed that a large majority of plumbing companies in the area do more than just plumbing by offering sewer and drain service, water treatment, or heating and cooling. Does this have anything to do with things slowing down in the winter? What is it like for a plumber in the winters out here?

What is the hourly rate charge for customers seeking plumbing services?

·
Registered
151 Posts
That is very possible R, we have a lot of family in the local and Indiana is not that far of a travel call.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I live in north suburb of Detroit. Work is plentiful and the best time in decades to start up.
Contact one of the trade associations for plumbing contractors. (Google it) Support that you request is available such as networking and maybe getting overflow work from members. He can go union which would allow him to hook up with the right people. The requirement for the plumber working principal is he buy a pension credit in order to use the union label and hook up with the right people. I am sure he can work out a plan where he can get some forgiveness until work is sufficient to make the pension payment. The going hourly rate for union is 112 hr ballpark. I believe it takes 10 hours at that rate per month to satsfy the pension credit-which helps u when u get old. There is also healthcare available but optional. Call local 98 or MCA of Detroit. The door is open. Motown

·
Registered
151 Posts
I live in north suburb of Detroit. Work is plentiful and the best time in decades to start up.
Contact one of the trade associations for plumbing contractors. (Google it) Support that you request is available such as networking and maybe getting overflow work from members. He can go union which would allow him to hook up with the right people. The requirement for the plumber working principal is he buy a pension credit in order to use the union label and hook up with the right people. I am sure he can work out a plan where he can get some forgiveness until work is sufficient to make the pension payment. The going hourly rate for union is 112 hr ballpark. I believe it takes 10 hours at that rate per month to satsfy the pension credit-which helps u when u get old. There is also healthcare available but optional. Call local 98 or MCA of Detroit. The door is open. Motown
Birming, are you a member of Local 98

·
Registered
92 Posts
Union plumbing contractor-total going rate charged to put a man on the job and provide a package of fringe benefits worthy of a trained tradesman raising a family. I believe his fringe/wage package approaches 70 per hour-add in your workers comp, un-employment-his vehicle-tools-and overhead and 112 seems to be close. I don't see how a non-union could be much less providing the guy got the 40 per hr he deserves and benefits. I bet money it is more on the east coast and California. I am only going by math and the fact I called 1 or 2 and asked what to charge for welding pipe and overflow work from them. Considering going back in biz so made few calls. Now waaiting on a "package " from FCA-(Chrysler)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Our on the check is around 35 bucks an hour. I just checked with the hall because i am currently a salary guy. I am considering going to another shop that would hire me thru the hall.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Union plumbing contractor-total going rate charged to put a man on the job and provide a package of fringe benefits worthy of a trained tradesman raising a family. I believe his fringe/wage package approaches 70 per hour-add in your workers comp, un-employment-his vehicle-tools-and overhead and 112 seems to be close. I don't see how a non-union could be much less providing the guy got the 40 per hr he deserves and benefits. I bet money it is more on the east coast and California. I am only going by math and the fact I called 1 or 2 and asked what to charge for welding pipe and overflow work from them. Considering going back in biz so made few calls. Now waaiting on a "package " from FCA-(Chrysler)
Thanks for the breakdown.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts