Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
brown is down
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering from all the MP's/owners out there. If and when you go from owner/operator to owner/ desk pilot is there a button you push that makes you forget how things really work in the field. My boss is driving me nuts. He basically quit going out in the field about 6 months ago and has since become the worlds worst armchair QB. i am fully aware how things are supposed to go in a perfect situation, but then again if things always went perfectly we wouldn't have a job. just wondering?

·
Plumbing and Gas SCO
1,437 Posts
Well Bart. I will make it simple.
When you put your heart and money into a company you put yourself into the hands of your employees. You need to keep on top of things lest someone decides that they will do things their own way rather than the way you envision. Everyone has their own way of doing things. When you are the owner you get to pick the way you want things done. It is your name on the bills, not the employees. Employee's represent your company, not the other way around. I armchair QB my guys all the time. If I send them to do a WH change out and it takes 4 hours I will be sure to question it. No-one works as hard as the guy whose house is riding on the work, we know that, but we still expect an honest days work from the employee's. Remember, as the economy slows there will be many more available plumbers looking at your job with envy. Treat your boss well and expect the same in return. Get pissy with him and expect a pink slip. I have been on both sides of this arguement and have to say, enjoy being an employee while you can. Someday you will think that you have had enough and decide you want to open your own shop. Till then, enjoy the rest every night. Enjoy being able to walk away from the job at quitting time every day. Enjoy getting paid regularly. Enjoy being responsible for only yourself and you family. Because when you decide that you've had enough of being an employee you will no longer have any of those perks.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Try to keep in mind that as a rule the owner is under a tremendous amount of stress. Unfortunately for you it is easier for him/her to ream your butt than take it home to the wife.

I am a notorious micro-manager. I prolly fall into the category of which you speak. I like things done my way. I am open to suggestions but, usually it is my way or the highway. I may not be onsite but, I need to know what/how things are being done.

I spose the right to question everything or armchair QB comes with having your name on the doors of the trucks. Good luck to ya:thumbsup:

Don't ever stop appreciating the fact that you have a job:yes:

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Well Bart. I will make it simple.
When you put your heart and money into a company you put yourself into the hands of your employees. You need to keep on top of things lest someone decides that they will do things their own way rather than the way you envision. Everyone has their own way of doing things. When you are the owner you get to pick the way you want things done. It is your name on the bills, not the employees. Employee's represent your company, not the other way around. I armchair QB my guys all the time. If I send them to do a WH change out and it takes 4 hours I will be sure to question it. No-one works as hard as the guy whose house is riding on the work, we know that, but we still expect an honest days work from the employee's. Remember, as the economy slows there will be many more available plumbers looking at your job with envy. Treat your boss well and expect the same in return. Get pissy with him and expect a pink slip. I have been on both sides of this arguement and have to say, enjoy being an employee while you can. Someday you will think that you have had enough and decide you want to open your own shop. Till then, enjoy the rest every night. Enjoy being able to walk away from the job at quitting time every day. Enjoy getting paid regularly. Enjoy being responsible for only yourself and you family. Because when you decide that you've had enough of being an employee you will no longer have any of those perks.
Couldnt have said it any better. You nailed it.

·
Master Plumber/Mechanical
172 Posts
I used to feel guilty that I made more money than my employees..Many years
Then one day I was driving to a job site and it was like a brick hit me in the head. I was the one that provided employment to others, I was the one that when others were getting paid I had less than I was paying and working 30hrs more a week, I was the one paying them vacation when I hadn't had one in five years, I was the one paying for insurance, worker comp, unemployment benifits and putting fuel in the trucks. Simply put I was the one with the most RISK and the most to lose.

Now I'm not trying to be a BTO (Big Time Operator) because I'm not but, when it come down to it it's my way or the hi-way. I'm not hard on my guys they sometime come in later but will stay late, I pay for their dinner hour as well. Take a minute and try to put yourself in his shoes. There are those daze when I am the biggest ass and my guys get it. Just be glad that you are blessed with a job and a pay check

One day I was to be on the job site, I showed up damn phone rang and 6 1/2 hrs later I was back. This happened 3 out of 5 days. One of my guys said to me what gives? So the next time I took him with me, cuz they though my wife was just calling to get me off the site to go goof off. When we got back I asked him if he would like to buy the business and he said "Hell NO"

If I didn't do the bids and go look at up coming jobs there would be no jobs.

Good luck man

·
brown is down
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow, spoken as only employers can. for the record i show up early, rarely take lunch and bust ass as a rule. my point is and was that six months ago he was still the boss and owner but was also out in the field and had perspective on how things really worked. fast forward six months and its as if a serious case of amnesia set in. As for nhmaster- no actually you can't, as an employer you are bound by certain rules and levels of professionalism- this sixth grade bully mentality would not be tolerated in any other profession but for some reason in the trades it seems to be the rule rather than the exception.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
If I ever have employees and find out they are disrespectin' da man?

There's a reason for pine boxes in the backwoods of kentucky.

But some bosses can be bad for morale, and that affects the bottom line. If he's consistently wrong then he needs to be told of the error of his ways.

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
I have seen very wealthy owners of plumbing companies that couldn't plumb their way into a small bathroom. I have seen guys that have so much experience...and practice the art of plumbing to the best that could be asked of....and they drive a POS Toyota Corrolla. These are the same guys with piloe and piles of news papers in the back seat that they can't / won't throw away. Point is, there are all types. I have only met maybe 2 or 3 guys I would consider ever working for. Oddly enough these are the same guys that we throw work to eachother when we are slammed. Point is, just because he is the boss doesn't make him Gods gift to plumbing. I'm the boss, and I certainly am not Gods gift to plumbing, however I absolutly am Gods gift to tankless installations!!!!hehe

The one thing that I got a rude awakining to after going out on my own was the stress. My God......I still suck at dealing with stress. I remember the days of stalling till 5 than going out with my friends after work.....haha, I can barly make the drive home now. Quite whining, there isn't enough cheeze to go along.

Reactions: service guy

·
Banned
383 Posts
Just wondering from all the MP's/owners out there. If and when you go from owner/operator to owner/ desk pilot is there a button you push that makes you forget how things really work in the field. My boss is driving me nuts. He basically quit going out in the field about 6 months ago and has since become the worlds worst armchair QB. i am fully aware how things are supposed to go in a perfect situation, but then again if things always went perfectly we wouldn't have a job. just wondering?
hey bartnc37, welcome to the zone. this is in no way a dig, but how old are you. it just reminds me of a time when i worked for a guy who in retrospect was a great employer. and i was to young to realize it. i realize now as a shop owner he had a full plate of decisions to make at any given minute of the day. i worked for him from when i was 21 until i was 28 and im only 35 now but i realize even when he seemed like he was a total :censored:, he had my best interest at heart. he took damn good care of me and the other 8 guys in the shop and if i knew then as an employee what i know now as an owner i might still be there. if he takes care of you cut him some slack. if it gets to be to much, talk to him about it. there was a time in his life when he sweat his first copper joint. and if he's like me he's probably pissed about being off the tools. i know i will be someday.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
wow, spoken as only employers can. for the record i show up early, rarely take lunch and bust ass as a rule. my point is and was that six months ago he was still the boss and owner but was also out in the field and had perspective on how things really worked. fast forward six months and its as if a serious case of amnesia set in. As for nhmaster- no actually you can't, as an employer you are bound by certain rules and levels of professionalism- this sixth grade bully mentality would not be tolerated in any other profession but for some reason in the trades it seems to be the rule rather than the exception.
Sorry there bart but yes he can and so can I. If you don't like it then quit. If you were my employee and came to me with that garbage about how I can or can't run my shop you would be down the road before the door could hit you in the behind!:whistling2:

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
I have seen the guys who cry he can't do that to ME....These are the same guys that washed out of community college and only learned how to make a resume. I have seen old bosses fire guys so fast for stuff like that. That was in my shut your mouth and open your ears...days.....bart.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts

Well "Actually" since it is my company, I do make the rules. And as for tolerating it, no you don't have too. The door is in plain sight. When it is your business, your reputation and your money on the line you can make any decisions you see fit. When it is mine you tow the line or take a walk. Unfortunatly for you, in this economy there are a lot of plumbers out there willing to shut up and do the job. It's not a question of being a bully. It's a question of me being the boss and you being the worker.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
:001_unsure:You seem familiar, Have you been here with another username?

·
brown is down
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you are dead on right nhmaster. The problem is, what kind of employees are you getting. A bunch of mindless idiots that can't work without you or someone ragging on them at all times and holding their hands. if you want employees that can make it happen, and in the process help you make money, you might be best served to check the ego at the door once in a while. there are a lot of talented people out there who do not respond well to the "I am GOD" mentality. Again i'm not saying there is not stress or resposibility on the owners part,nor am i whining, although he has been an a** lately. I'm asking how does someone lose their perspective so quickly?
i'm 30 by the way and for the record i have a bachelors degree in cell/ molecular bio but i couldn't handle sitting in the lab all day, i geuss once youre blue collar you stay blue collar. and in reality i really do enjoy plumbing, obviuosly somedays more than others, but as a whole its at least something you can see what you accomplished in a day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts