Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with Georgia's licensing department but they didn't have an answer for this, what I would think would be a common question. All the states have slightly different criteria for how long you must be a journeyman before you can apply for your masters. In Georgia, you need to be a journeyman for 2 years. I was basically never a journeyman. I got my journeyman license in one state then applied to be a master in a state that just required 8500 hours. I have now have had a master license for 9 months. I assume I can apply to get masters with Georgia once I have had my masters for 2 years, but I could not get an answer to this question. Would I need to keep records of the hours I worked, even though I work for myself?

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I just got off the phone with Georgia's licensing department but they didn't have an answer for this, what I would think would be a common question. All the states have slightly different criteria for how long you must be a journeyman before you can apply for your masters. In Georgia, you need to be a journeyman for 2 years. I was basically never a journeyman. I got my journeyman license in one state then applied to be a master in a state that just required 8500 hours. I have now have had a master license for 9 months. I assume I can apply to get masters with Georgia once I have had my masters for 2 years, but I could not get an answer to this question. Would I need to keep records of the hours I worked, even though I work for myself?

Get records of as much of your work experience as possible and mail it to someone in Georgia's licensing department who deals with apprenticeships.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have a master license in Colorado. How does Georgia's laws relate to someone with a master's from another state? I imagine most of you on this forum have a masters license, if you wanted to start a business in Georgia, it seems odd that you would have to work as a journeyman for someone else for 2 years if you have been working for yourself for a few years. But they don't speak about this anywhere in their rules for becoming a master plumber in Georgia.

·
I Married Up
16,932 Posts
Send in your application with your current Master credentials, and leave it to them. I believe most states allow you to test for a Master/Contractor license if you already have it in another state.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts