Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Oklahoma we are not allowed to use the term Master anymore,the correct term is now Contractor.I think this politically correct stuff has gotten way out of hand with the bleeding heart liberals,but I have to abide by the forces that be.
Does anyone else have to participate in this farce,and what are your views on the subject.
They claim the word master has slave owner ties which is a no-no.I'm not going further on that thought or I will start losing it this early in the morning.

·
Casual Observer
82 Posts
That's incredibly ridiculous. I wonder how the guys who made that decision would feel if instead of calling them Representative/Senator/Congressman/Governor/Mayor/Whatever we just referred to them as dude, buddy, pal, homeboy, dawg, etc.

I guess I'll start calling my M.D. "Buckaroo" because when I have to call him "Doctor" it makes me feel intellectually inferior. Words and titles have meaning, but I don't know anyone who associates the meaning of "Master" with a slave/owner relationship. We have mastered a trade, an art, to a degree, a science, and we have worked hard to do it. It distinguishes us from others who have not put the time and effort into gaining knowledge and furthering their understanding of this trade. Nobody who went through years and years of medical school at great expense personally and financially would appreciate it if we were to start calling every orderly who worked in a hospital "Doctor."

I don't run around wanting people to call me "Master", but I do like knowing that I worked for something that carries a certain amount of authority and weight.

To sum up, #@&%*!, that's what I think.

·
Building codes guy
40 Posts
"Contractor" encompasses everything from the best to the worst of tradesmen. A "master" designation indicates that the tradesman has elevated himself to the top of his profession. What a shame that the PC-types are unwilling to differentiate because of an alternative meaning to the word "master". Shame on them.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Please stop acting as if liberal is a bad word. It isn't.

I live in one of the reddest states in the nation and ever since the Uniform Plumbing Code was adopted over thirty years ago there have been no "Master Plumbers" here. This was not a decision arrived at by liberals.

In point of fact, it is the conservatives and the right-wingers who have tried to remove the Labor Board completely from this state to give them free reign to do whatever they wanted. It's corporate pressure that brings in such things as the IPC or air admittance valves. Are these corporations, who want the rule of law changed to benefit business rather than families and individuals to be considered liberal? It isn't liberals who want the law to say that they can park a trailer house anywhere they want; it's the industry lobbies. Put the blame for the declining standards of plumbing where it belongs.

Liberals are the ones who would like to see safety for their families and their planet.

·
Master Plumber
76 Posts
It's a crock of sh!t
By the way I love the term MASTER, I have earned it.
Still can't get the wife to call me master.:laughing:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please stop acting as if liberal is a bad word. It isn't.

I live in one of the reddest states in the nation and ever since the Uniform Plumbing Code was adopted over thirty years ago there have been no "Master Plumbers" here. This was not a decision arrived at by liberals.

In point of fact, it is the conservatives and the right-wingers who have tried to remove the Labor Board completely from this state to give them free reign to do whatever they wanted. It's corporate pressure that brings in such things as the IPC or air admittance valves. Are these corporations, who want the rule of law changed to benefit business rather than families and individuals to be considered liberal? It isn't liberals who want the law to say that they can park a trailer house anywhere they want; it's the industry lobbies. Put the blame for the declining standards of plumbing where it belongs.

Liberals are the ones who would like to see safety for their families and their planet.
Feel better now.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Were called Journeyman here.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Threaderman said:
Feel better now.
Not really. I feel like I've been shortchanged because I think that a plumber should be able to earn the title of Master. Maybe it's old-fashioned. Maybe it has no place in a world where everything is made out of plastic. But it demonstrates the underlying feeling that a plumber is just another laborer and a contractor is just another businessman, completely ignoring the skill that a real master plumber should have.

Plumbers protect the health of the nation, and it's conservatives that are trying to drown the Federal Government in a bathtub. I don't want to end up slave labor for the 1% of the people with all the money.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
OH H#LL NO !!! NO One is taking that from me !!! I'm a Master Plumber and am VERY proud of it !!

It's a badge of honor we have earned . Lets see someone use the term

"Ex Marine " and see what happens ,,,,,

Cal

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Here in lies the problem. In VA you may be a plumbing contractor without being a master plumber simply by having a full time employee that is a master. Therefore the term "Plumbing Contractor" don't hit on *hit because he now can send any inexperienced man out to do plumbing repairs and it is legal.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
OH H#LL NO !!! NO One is taking that from me !!! I'm a Master Plumber and am VERY proud of it !!

It's a badge of honor we have earned . Lets see someone use the term

"Ex Marine " and see what happens ,,,,,

Cal
there you go! maybe we should sign our letters just like the doctors do, you know, when they sign it Dr. So and So? we should sign our documents Master Plumber so and So:thumbup:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
there you go! maybe we should sign our letters just like the doctors do, you know, when they sign it Dr. So and So? we should sign our documents Master Plumber so and So:thumbup:

They could fine me if they wanted to if I did that so I will not take that chance on having an action taken against my license.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
How can they fine you by signing letters MP so and So. What gives doctors and lawyers such power and control that they are the only ones who can do it? Why not the bag boy at the local supermarket, he could sign his letters "Bager Bob"

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not sure what they would do,all I know is it is in the Okla. State rules and regulations.I'm packed-up since were moving monday so I can't give it to you verbatem but once I'm settled I'll look up the specific Reg. numbers since we all feel strongly in the same direction on this subject.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
There is a need to one degree or another for both liberal & conservative viewpoints...each has rediculous extremes, each has necessities.
When the word "master" is construed as offensive, an extreme has been reached...thats nothing short of f-cking rediculous.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
I just can't see any plumber, master or otherwise, writing that sloppy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts