Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to like my acetylene tank, but it got too cumbersome and got me a map tank 2 years ago. I love map, quick. Also I love the self start and the tip dont get hot, and much easier to carry under a house. I do however miss the smaller flame which I liked.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Map is the only tank I use, good enough the silver braze the smaller size lines also.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not silver soldered with map before, always my acetylene. I did not know map would heat hot enough to do that with

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Oh yea, medical gas, it will get those fitting red hot.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeh, but how long does it take to get say a 3/4 fitting hot enough to cause the solder to run with propane as opposed to map?

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
You are paying more for MAPP or Acetylene than I am for propane, and in most cases you don't need the advantage of the added heat, I can easily soft solder 2½" copper pressure fittings with propane.
You're kidding right? Propane is pathetic. Then again I am a service guy, so all the pipes I solder are wet....propane doesn't cut it. I started with acetylene bottles, now I use MAPP.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not long, 10 seconds perhaps? That may be too long, never timed it. Is the propane you use the same as the propane tanks you can pick up in a DIY place? What I mean is there is only one type of propane right?

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Not long, 10 seconds perhaps? That may be too long, never timed it. Is the propane you use the same as the propane tanks you can pick up in a DIY place? What I mean is there is only one type of propane right?
I have a six pound propane tank and a Turbotorch set-up with regulator, hose, handle, and tips.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Turbotorch, if memory serves me right dont that inject air as well to increase the temp? Another tank with compressed air? saw a similar setup at the local welding supply house once.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Now that MAPP is no longer available, has anyone used the replacement MapPro yet? It is supposed to perform the same. Any problems?

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Now that MAPP is no longer available, has anyone used the replacement MapPro yet? It is supposed to perform the same. Any problems?
Whoa...MAPP no longer available??

I'm with the majority, MAPP only.
Used Propane for years, either a #3 or #5 tip did the trick, #2 never left the bucket, took much longer to heat the pipe.
Acetylene is way too noisy & the tank is a ***** lugging through crawlspaces.
With MAPP I put the flame directly on the fitting nice n close for about 15-20 seconds, then back it away to maintain the heat while I solder, Killer has a valid point about roasting the flux...thats about the only advantage I can think of with propane.

Service Guys point about wet pipe is a biggy, most of my solder work is on wet pipes, MAPP makes a huge difference over propane there.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts