Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Expecting free software downloads? Sorry Chuck.

Here's how I do it:

Pack a lunch/candy/drinks for most of the day

Fuel the truck minimum 2 times only a week, full to keep away from convenient stores

Always eat on the run between the calls in the truck. I'm not one of those
effing pansies that has reached a cultural revolution to take time out and drive 15 minutes to have a sit down meal, burning away an hour of time or more

Urinate in jugs on my truck; never use the customer's facilities and driving anywhere to use the restroom is a total waste of time---be creative and discreet in this tactic---#2 is out of the question, unless you can manage inside the truck and live with the smell to the end of the day; remember, **** is our livelihood so it shouldn't be offensive

Limited timing of cleaning your truck from job to job, on the clock...just don't stretch that idea too far or your customer will be obviously wondering why your trips take so long

Make business calls on the way to or between calls, limit time on phone while at the job site unless you're heading out to the truck, no biggie---no set rules on this one, especially if you load your landline to your cell phone

Search for conversational topics that jive with customer to encourage communication between you and them; this will make time go by a lot faster while you're there. If you slow down, time to shut up

Clean up your work area until asked to stop---just the mere attempt gains brownie points, maybe a effing cookie if you're lucky

Wearing foot booties makes the last guy look like a total selfish dumb*** for not spending less than 13 cents per pair to try to keep their house/floor clean

Leaving a couple pieces of hard candy or wrapped treats is notable as kindness, especially if you're corrupting a undisciplined diabetic

Refraining from "passing wind" or showing butcrack will leave your customer with the ability to eat dinner without thinking of the lint in your ***crack that they kept looking at while you was under their sink

Drop cloths are the correct way to make the finishing of your job very quick by folding the 4 corners to the center, tools in the center and out to the truck you go with your tools

Smelling like cigarrettes or 4 gallons of coffee pretty much marks you as an aging plumber with bad habits---going into coughing spats whenever you laugh makes you no better than a jerry springer show---flirting with unattractive housewives will have you working freezer detail at burger king

Talking about family is good but crying about being broke scares the tar out of your customer, thinking you're looking for opportunity with a turn of a screw

Not shaving or having long hair also time stamps your day in history, ask yourself if you'd like someone like that representing your profession

Charge for everything you use; it all cost money initially and discounting the value is better than not charging at all

Make a habit of chewing gum at all times during your time spent in the home; the homeowner won't come out and straight tell you your breath is stinking, but we've ALL been victim to someone who does---it's worse than having gas, except it's coming out of your mouth and it won't stop until you leave

Do yourself and the damn profession and have teeth in your skull FFS---nothing worse than a plumber with half his teeth missing when they smile or tell jokes---cash out some copper and fix the problem one tooth at a time, sheesh

Be respectful, tread lightly on political discussions or bashing the last plumber---never "show-up" a customer for a really stupid mistake---never partake in a husband trying to degrade his wife in front of you

Always offer the customer options to the point of confusion; this puts the ball in your court as to them questioning themselves, not you if they made the conscious decisions to do the right things...you're just the trained professional to do it right

Never take jobs on the side when you know the only one benefitting is the customer, not you

Always without asking bring a newspaper to the door from the driveway or yard as common courtesy

That's all I got for now...

·
Banned
913 Posts
Urinate in jugs on my truck; never use the customer's facilities and driving anywhere to use the restroom is a total waste of time---be creative and discreet in this tactic---#2 is out of the question, unless you can manage inside the truck and live with the smell to the end of the day; remember, **** is our livelihood so it shouldn't be offensive
:eek: GROSS! You've got to be kidding. I hope you carry hand sanitizer. Do you shake your customers hand?

A quick bathroom break at the supply house, fast food, gas station cannot take that much time. How much money do you figure you saving/making urinating in a jug?

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:eek: GROSS! You've got to be kidding. I hope you carry hand sanitizer. Do you shake your customers hand?

A quick bathroom break at the supply house, fast food, gas station cannot take that much time. How much money do you figure you saving/making urinating in a jug?

Am I supposed to stop, put all my tools down and leave every time I gotta go? Especially in the winter where the bladder shrinks.

Of course a woman is going to be jealous of this move. Na-na-n-n-nah-nah! :laughing:

I have hand sanitizer but I always wear gloves, got it covered.

I don't go to supply houses; everything is delivered to my shop most times. If I had to wait...my bladder would be as large as the hindenberg.

When I have to urinate, it's RTFN! and I can't hold it for half a day like women do (I'm jealous, happy now?)

When it's hot, I urinate less. Holding urine for long periods of time is dangerous; I know a guy that travelled heavily in his job and he did this for years. Somehow the lining of his bladder is gone and he has to take medications and can barely drink anything other than mild tea.

I'm about efficiency and I have this talent of "letting go down to a one-hand trick like I'm talking on the phone at my truck.

I'm not about to stop drop and go somewhere to use "facilities" which can literally be miles away.

How would you write the time for that if you did a water heater install that took 4 hours?

22 years and haven't been caught in the act once...that's professionalism. :thumbup:

Damn I gotta whiz! BRB

(has jug strapped to office desk too)

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
lol @ DUNBAR

He got the energy, and I'm pooped, lol. G-night you guys, it's bed-time 30 for me. Have a greaaaaaaaaaat day tomorrow 8).

·
Banned
913 Posts
Hey Dunbar. Yes, i'm jealous. Jug thing doesn't work for me, neither does the pulling over on a highway. Okay, so you don't want to bother customer - why not pull over on the side of the road for a quick whiz? If your good, what do you waste 2-3 minutes top?

Would it really be that big of a deal to use a homeowner's bathroom to urinate? Now, the BM would be a big deal for obvious reasons. When tradesman in my home have asked to use the bathroom, it didn't bother me in the least. If they did it the moment they walked in the door, I'd probably be a little miffed. But if they asked when they were finished their work, no biggie.

You must have read Cheaper By the Dozen - now that man was a real efficiency expert.

Any urologist will tell you holding it for extended periods is very bad for you. That's why most women of a certain age have incontinence issues. Women will wait to get home because they don't like public facilities due to the yuck factor.

Hey, it works for you. Hmmmm, I wonder if I could convince our service plumbers to P in a jug???? Don't think so!

Glad your feeling relief after your jug use. :)

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's terrible is there is a pee jug epidemic out west.

I take the time to properly dispose so I'm a green thinker in relation to fuel consumption, water conservation and the like.

The idea has been marketed in the medical supply field for years, it's just that people don't entertain the logic to make your time count on a job site.

Would it really be that big of a deal to use a homeowner's bathroom to urinate? Now, the BM would be a big deal for obvious reasons.

It's a level of comfort I provide to my customer, whether new or repeat. I've had jobs where the customer has asked if I need to use the restroom, want something to drink or eat.

Got it all covered Ma'am!

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts

Hand Sanitizer, Body Spray, Gum or mints I thouoght these were minimum standards in every service truck;) THEY ARE IN MINE.
One of the guys at the shop even has a "chili bucket on the truck and a roll of small plastic bags. We never know where we'll be or for how long, and I've never used the restroom at a costomers home. Is'nt the water usually off when your there any way?:blink:

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
What's terrible is there is a pee jug epidemic out west.

I take the time to properly dispose so I'm a green thinker in relation to fuel consumption, water conservation and the like.

The idea has been marketed in the medical supply field for years, it's just that people don't entertain the logic to make your time count on a job site.

It's a level of comfort I provide to my customer, whether new or repeat. I've had jobs where the customer has asked if I need to use the restroom, want something to drink or eat.

Got it all covered Ma'am!
Very professional in my opinion. I'm the same way. That may be 1. reason why my numbers are better than the other guys at the shop. How are yours?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have never had a customer complain about using the washroom. When nature calls it calls i don't care where I am, I will piss on the side of the highway !!!

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
Dunbar,

I'm calling BS as I've seen your truck and there is no where to do anything in your truck.

When I first started out in HVAC we had coffee cans stashed in the basements behind the gravity furnaces. They were called pee cans for a reason.

Mark

·
Registered
146 Posts
[/color]

Unfortunately, you've just told me everything I ever need to know about you.

Its not like I would do it in a residential area. Just out in the country or highway.

You can't honestly say you would rather hold it or piss in your truck than ask to use a customers washroom or stop at a coffee shop

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
Kinda funny, when I was in Afghanistan we had weekly "All Hands" meetings. At every single meeting they had to tell everyone to stop pssing in bottles in their tents and walk to the latrines. Pretty nasty.
Big reason why is the locals dig through the trash and water bottles are a prized possesion until they find them filled with piss.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dunbar,

I'm calling BS as I've seen your truck and there is no where to do anything in your truck.

When I first started out in HVAC we had coffee cans stashed in the basements behind the gravity furnaces. They were called pee cans for a reason.

Mark

What's up Mark!

You indeed is correct.

I am seeing progress though; I saw part of my dashboard tuesday. :thumbsup:

I need that Pit stop device; got plenty of old gas cans like that, some clear tubing from water softeners and I'm sure I can muster a couple barbed nipples in the junk inventory.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts