Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pic to prove it. Did you know they have spinning blades inside? MMMM....Razor blades and poo.....YAY!!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
You know what ticks me off, I had a few people over the years calling me saturday evenings wanting me to go fix something like that, lost in the woods like an hour's drive away all for a 80$ paycheck! These clowns would slam the phone on me thinking I would go to the rescue in their disgusting feces for 80$ or less.

I'm glad no one ever hired me though when I realized what kind of mess it would be. I refuse to repair them and I refuse to install a brand new one because I will not go back under warrantee. Nope.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
..............I'm glad no one ever hired me though when I realized what kind of mess it would be. I refuse to repair them and I refuse to install a brand new one because I will not go back under warrantee. Nope.
They aren't difficult to diagnose once you've dealt with them. Usually I have to deal with the liberty models, not saniflo.

The common simple issue is it gets stuck on or runs excessively. This happens from a build up on the sensing rods. The buildup shorts them together so the machine senses high level. So you unscrew and lift the control board to spray off the sensor rods. This can be done easily with a flexible supply line running off the toilet stop.

The common expensive issue is when excessive run time has created lots of heat in the control board. The air inside will heat up and pop the hermetic seal. When it cools down and the air contracts it sucks in humid air from next to the toilet. This humid air will corrode the board inside and destroy the controls. The fix is a new control board, problem is that by this time the motor has run way too hot and is close to burning out if it hasn't already. I tell the customer they need a whole new unit else they risk the motor dying shortly after I replace just the board.

The uncommon but VERY disgusting issue is when they clog, either the blade cage, the pump end, or the discharge. You end up opening the lid slowly while trying to shop vac out the raw sewage. You usually have to do this if the board gets fried too, although it usually fries in a way that runs the pump a lot so at least it's empty.

Regardless of the fault the unit is usually HOT and everything inside smells 10x worse. Miraculously I've never had someone put wipes or hygiene products in one.

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
1,229 Posts
Tango- I totally agree, esp if it’s an hours drive each way, not worth a service call!
I’m in Toronto, I live in the east end, I drive about 30-45mins to get to the downtown core or westside of the city, but anything further, Ill specify it’s long distance/time due to rush hour traffic, construction etc. anything past the west side of Toronto, is a 3rd tier increase to my flatrate price.
Mississauga is maybe 30-35km, in good traffic but getting across the city still takes at the least 1hr + each way. Not worth the time.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
I get some people (city folks) wanting to put one of these in instead of digging concrete to save a lot of money, and I mean a lot of money. I'm not joking most people think by putting that in you can build an entire bathroom from scratch for under a thousand bucks! And that would include fixtures, vanity faucets etc.

I need my therapist bad....2 months to go...keep it together...

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get some people (city folks) wanting to put one of these in instead of digging concrete to save a lot of money, and I mean a lot of money. I'm not joking most people think by putting that in you can build an entire bathroom from scratch for under a thousand bucks! And that would include fixtures, vanity faucets etc.

I need my therapist bad....2 months to go...keep it together...

Well, in their defense.....

Reactions: bawalter

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,603 Posts
I tried to work on one of those things a long time ago and my helper
started to puke from the stench it put out ..... so I decided to pass on that
god awful mess

I wont touch one again....... if someone throws a tampon down that thing its curtains..

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I haveSaniflo in my basement that works great. I have a cheaper liberty at my shop, it's much quieter but they both work fine.

·
Super Moderator
8,839 Posts
This is one of the reasons why I don't really like macerating toilets!

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,603 Posts
I haveSaniflo in my basement that works great. I have a cheaper liberty at my shop, it's much quieter but they both work fine.
You say you got one in your shop.....
Well, Just wait until one of your employees decides to quit you on ugly terms
and wants to sabotage that Liberty toilet at the shop to get even . All he has to do
is break a tooth brush in half or throw a 16 nail sinker down that nice toilet in
your office and you got yourself some fun times...
You Cant really prove who did the dirty deed but you will have your suspicions
as you are up yo your elbows in his shi/...... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts