Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Special Member
78 Posts
Hi.I'm let me try this again.I'm a female licensed plumber from Memphis I was train by a master plumber from Ohio I was taught to soder ,ruff in new construction from the ground to fixtures ,drain cleaning is for drain cleaners but I do that as well Installing electric and gas w/h is a breeze,I work for a plumbing company for a year and learned how to work with the trench less machine that uses hydraulic pump for sewer linesI. Love and respect the craft and just wish for the same respect
I suppose that's better than what you originally had although I personally don't know much about "soder or ruff". Just like a male nurse will take a bunch of :censored: for their profession a woman in a male dominant field will receive the same treatment.. That's just to be expected. Welcome though just the same.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I think that a strong back,knees, and mind make a GREAT plumber, it is a physical job which requires all of the above to be great at.

im not sayin girls cant do it, just a very small %

most women dont want to be a plumber/drain cleaner, thats a fact

adapt and overcome, where have i heard that before
You are right, most women don't want to plumb or clean drains, but some do. Also a strong back, knees, and mind all together certainly help but not a deal breaker. I'm 5'10 and weigh 160 so admittedly I'm not the strongest thing out there, but do just fine and and also have 18 years industrial concrete experience under my belt so what I'm simply trying to say is one shouldn't be judged off of size either for that matter. It's knowing how to work properly and use the body along with common sense to accomplish a task.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
This thread is wearing me out geez. To summarize I don't care if a gal wants to plumb or not, but she will have the same responibilities to get the job done competantly and in a timely manner same as us guys. If that's all there I'm fine with it.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
It doesn't really matter what the sex of the person is as long as they can do the job. To me that is the key, I don't care if your a man or woman if you do the job, and that can be a point of contention. To often in the interest of being fair, equal work is not being performed, and its let slide.

Due to the nature of the work, I would agree with Greenplum and say that it will always be a small percentage of woman who are in the trade in comparison to men. Also in agreement with Green, at least in my area, I have never seen a woman plumber, hvac tech, or electrician here.

I would be curious to see what accommodations need to be made for the "Woman Plumber" to perform the same work, if any. Since the OP is uniquely qualified to answer I hope to read her posts and find out.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
This is 2011, it's a fact that there are women tradesmen, as long as they carry their share then they are just as valuable as the next person.

We have a female welder in our hall that will trump 90% of the male welders in our hall. She is well respected because of that.

Welcome Plumbest.

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
The zone has 2 or 3 members that are Licensed Female Plumbers that i am aware of, xtina and her helper that dont come here anymore and this new girl.

I think that a strong back,knees, and mind make a GREAT plumber, it is a physical job which requires all of the above to be great at.

im not sayin girls cant do it, just a very small %

most women dont want to be a plumber/drain cleaner, thats a fact

adapt and overcome, where have i heard that before
I believe Suzie is a Licensed plumber too! Plumbgrl - fairly certain she is a female plumber as well.

As a percentage, females only make up a small percentage. How much of that is due to being discouraged by those in the field? My father was a Fireman and there was a huge uproar when the first female was hired. She could carry her own weight and had to go through the same physical testing requirements. Some in the dept. stooped so low as to mess with her safety equipment. Eventually she was accepted and paved the way for those who will follow.

Bet a fit female could run circles around the grossly overweight, non-belt, beer drinking, chain smoking plumber. I'm just sayin' . . . ;)

GP - I still luv u! :rolleyes: And agree there is a portion of females who push their way in and then want special treatment. That does not fly in my book. BUT, if she can do the job like a man . . . more power to her! :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Colgar said:
Sheesh. Is this an intro thread or a battle of the sexes thread?

Welcome plumbest365.
This thread is a reflection of the changes we are facing. With the need for qualified plumbers someone has to do it. Give me the woman over the illegal immigrants, and unlicensed.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
I hate to say it but I would put my wife or daughters up against some on this site. I'm guessing Ron would say the same thing about Stephanie. It is not always about gender. As a matter of fact I worked with an Attorney who had her C36 before she had her law degree.

Mark

·
I'm right your wrong
3,801 Posts
Women folk are for cookin, cleanin, and child birthin. :jester::laughing:

Welcome aboard plumbest365 some people just get jealous when a 21 year old single mom can do things that they cannot.:laughing:

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
ToUtahNow said:
I hate to say it but I would put my wife or daughters up against some on this site. I'm guessing Ron would say the same thing about Stephanie. It is not always about gender. As a matter of fact I worked with an Attorney who had her C36 before she had her law degree.

Mark
Some in general, or specific?

·
Canadian Red Seal Plumber
369 Posts
lol.. some people just can't leave well enough alone .. So what if a lady wants to plum .. so what if she's 38 or 21 .. I've worked with apprentices that were male and 6'2" 240lbs solid muscle, that could not dig **** .. or haul stuff around .. had to pick up there slack and help them along the way .. what makes the fact that she is a lady any different .. I say good on yea , want or need Plumbing IS a good job ... pays well and is gratifying .. as long as you can stand the rest of the negativity in the trade you'll do fine ..

Welcome to the Zone ..

lifer...

Reactions: Epox

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
By the way my wife ran our plumbing business for 20-years and has now worked with my forensic business for 12-years. She has trained more than one plumber to do locating work.

Mark

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
From what I've seen at least around here we are in dyer need of serious, intelligent plumbers commited to excellence. Why is that so hard to find these days. On a side note there's a HVAC/metal shop in town owened and operated by a woman. Her husband died early in his life, she kept the business running and does very well actually. Fully licensed of course.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Its a good thing that we cleared up the I and the 1 ..cause bein extra careful now I didnt take this out of context...."intelligence trumps sex"....whew...can you imagine how many threads it would take to straighten that out......

·
I Married Up
16,841 Posts
Reactions: Epox
41 - 60 of 60 Posts