Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will have a booth next week Saturday & Sunday February 21 - 22, 2009 at the Los Angeles Convention Center Home & Garden Show. Give me a call when you get to the entrance and I'll give you passes to get in. I think we can get an unlimited number of passes. I will probably be at the booth on Saturday after 3 and on Sunday all day. I'm looking forward to your dropping by and I promise you'll get a free balloon and a lollipop.

Attachments

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
There's a local show here, but I don't have a clue on what to display. My best thoughts were a couple of strippers, one male and one female, with business cards in their g-strings. The promoter took exception. What's all in your booth (besides the two cuties) and who put it together?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Los Angeles Home Show Results

We finished the 2-day Los Angeles Home Show Today. Saturday was a total failure. We got only one good lead. The failure was totally my fault. The show was so busy I was concentrating on giving away candy, balloons, literature, and did not talk to one person. On Saturday, I did not have a water heater, nor a furnace, nor any parts or literature for copper piping, etc. On Sunday, I brought a furnace and water heater to the show and concentrated on asking people if they wanted an estimate. The results are amazing when you ask only only one question. I got a total of 15 leads for the two days and every lead seems to be very hot. I actually closed the sale for a Rinnai tankless water heater for $3,600 and I am fairly positive a customer I am going to meet on Monday is going to spend about $12,000 to $15,000 for a copper repipe and new drain pipes.

If we close the sale for one-third of the leads and sell an average of $7,000 to each customer, we will sell about $35,000. The show cost me about $1800 including candy, literature, etc. If we net 25% on our gross sales then we will net about $8,750 after paying employees, materials, overhead, etc. If you work alone your net would be about 50%, or about $17,000.

My return on investment would be $8750 / $1800= 487%

If you are a one-horse operation your return on investment would be 972%.

I made many mistakes at this show. I was in the middle of the show room. I forgot that the best location is the wall on the right side of a room. As people walk into a showroom they always walk to the right. As people walk down an aisle their eyes always look to the right more than to the left. I was also on the left side of the aisle. I went to the first row on the right and talked to several contractors. Every contractor got 4 time more leads than the contractors in my row. From now on I will make sure I am in the first aisle on the right side. This was the aisle I was in when I sold $240,000 in two days.

I think I will start doing at least one show every month. Today, I hired a very experienced woman who will manage my booths at the next shows and I will put an experienced plumber to work with her. The going rate these sales people work for is only $15 per hour plus 1% of the gross sales. I though $15 per hour was not enough so I offered her $20 per hour plus 5% of the sales. At my next show I am going to remove the Flood Control sign and make the plumbing sign as large as the two signs combined.

The candy tube draws the people close enough to the booth to ask every person one question. In the two days I probably spent less than $30 for the candy people took. Home shows still work even in this economy.

HS 2.jpg

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts