Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you noticed some faucet manufacturers have much longer plastic supplies on their faucets?

There is a reason for it. I'll provide the answer if no one gets it.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I do not know why they are doing it however it needs to be re-addressed. This year we have had 1 plastic line and 2 stainless lines that were looped by plumbers that rubbed the lines raw and flooded 3 units. 1 Delta.1 Kohler, have no idea on the 3rd one as it came from a cabinet manufacturer from Canada as a set. (cabinet, top and faucet). I asked each customer for the receipts so that I could get the replacement faucets for free due to the supplies being part of the faucet, instead of separate.

Reactions: Master Mark

·
Banned
8,892 Posts
Have you noticed some faucet manufacturers have much longer plastic supplies on their faucets?

There is a reason for it. I'll provide the answer if no one gets it.
It could just be the market/niche that I'm in, but I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Which manufacturers and models are they?

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very good Plumb Nutz, if you cut them or modify them, the faucet would no longer comply with the Lead Free Law.

Consumer feels all warm and fuzzy, no lead in drinking water. Manufacturers support that with their marketing and advertising.

Plumber comes in and makes sensible modifications to fit his/her application and the faucet no longer meets standards. :furious: When I read about this, it just furthers in my mind why consumers don't trust plumbers. In the above scenario, the average plumber knows NOTHING about this and it would be an honest mistake.

Why can't manufacturers just comply with the law, instead of trying to find a loophole to exploit? (No pun intended).

It's a dirty little secret . . . just like greenwashing.

·
Banned
6,035 Posts
PlumbCrazy said:
Very good Plumb Nutz, if you cut them or modify them, the faucet would no longer comply with the Lead Free Law.

Consumer feels all warm and fuzzy, no lead in drinking water. Manufacturers support that with their marketing and advertising.

Plumber comes in and makes sensible modifications to fit his/her application and the faucet no longer meets standards. :furious: When I read about this, it just furthers in my mind why consumers don't trust plumbers. In the above scenario, the average plumber knows NOTHING about this and it would be an honest mistake.

Why can't manufacturers just comply with the law, instead of trying to find a loophole to exploit? (No pun intended).

It's a dirty little secret . . . just like greenwashing.
Let me see if I understand PC... the long supply tubes increase the overall mass/volume of the faucet bringing the lead/volume ratio down... When the supplies are cut down, the ratio is no longer in compliance. Correct?

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let me see if I understand PC... the long supply tubes increase the overall mass/volume of the faucet bringing the lead/volume ratio down... When the supplies are cut down, the ratio is no longer in compliance. Correct?
Absolutely correct. The law requires lead in products that supply drinking water will have to be less than .2% by 2014.

To calculate the overall lead content, the total surface area of the entire product is calculated. This includes the plastic supply tubes. The longer you make them, the smaller the lead percentage overall.

The brass in the product still has 12 times the concentration that the law allows, so in essence, the amount of lead in the water is still high. IMO, that makes the law meaningless.

From what my research turned up, WB complies with the law by reducing the lead in their brass. Not by smoke and mirrors.

·
Banned
6,035 Posts
Wow... The lengths these manufacturers will go to to cheat the system... Incredible.

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Exactly! The intent of the law is to reduce lead in the water . . . just because the faucet complies, DOES NOT mean it's okay. IMO, they violated the spirit of the law.

Even with a warning to plumbers to NOT cut the supplies, the lead concentration is still higher than it should be.

Lead in our drinking water would definitely explain the downward spiral our country has taken. Turned the majority of our citizens into sheep being lead to slaughter. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Thanks PlumbCrazy for the insight.
So in theory I might install one of these faucets, cut the supply line for my particular application, a savvy inspector busts me for altering a low-lead faucet and essentially turning said faucet into a non-compliant fixture. Now as a licensed plumber, in the foregoing scenario, I look like a complete jackass in front of HO, standing there with my mouth open while the inspector fails a plumbing final. Then ofcourse the HO expects me to purchase and install another new faucet on my dime.

It's brilliant, what will the college-educated engineers at the mfgs. think of next?...:furious:

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TommyPlumber - I can't see inspectors failing it, because most probably won't know about the issue of long supplies. The no-lead law has been in the making for quite sometime and it wasn't until I spent time really looking into it that I found this information. :eek:

But I do agree with you 100%. If it did happen in front of a H.O., it would appear that you were trying to pull a fast one. H.O.'s looking to the professional plumber for advice assume that we are in-the-know. They have every right to expect the professional to know and we have every right to expect manufacturers to keep us in-the-know. :yes:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Always confused me why so much attention was paid to lead yet no one really says anything about the prescription drug chemicals or the industrial chemicals that are in our drinking water that can't be filtered out. Think that bottle of tap water you bought on the store is really that safe?
Gotta nuke plant down the way a little bit. Though it doesn't directly hit our reservoir, somethings got to be in the ground water....?
Water is the greatest dissolver period. Gives life and can cut steel in half. Something that is that useful will break down everything eventually and that has to be carried somewhere.
Don't fear lead. Fear what the united cooperation of America ain't telling us....

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,480 Posts
The fix?

Turn your angle stops downwards out of the wall so the loops can remain, or shorten the lines coming out of the floor of the sink base whether kitchen or lavatory, use angle stops once again, that way you can easily get those lines to install.

Out of all the Delta Faucets I have installed with this longer supply line, I'll never cut those lines because it's the probability issue that will throw a claim to its failure.

Seems like Delta, or my customers have started going back to the brass shank design because I haven't put those long supply type ones in for awhile.

Putting in more than just basic models, if that makes any difference.

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
The fix?

Turn your angle stops downwards out of the wall so the loops can remain, or shorten the lines coming out of the floor of the sink base whether kitchen or lavatory, use angle stops once again, that way you can easily get those lines to install.

Out of all the Delta Faucets I have installed with this longer supply line, I'll never cut those lines because it's the probability issue that will throw a claim to its failure.

Seems like Delta, or my customers have started going back to the brass shank design because I haven't put those long supply type ones in for awhile.

Putting in more than just basic models, if that makes any difference.

What if they start making the faucets with 4' long supply lines?....:laughing:

·
Banned
6,035 Posts
KCplumber said:
I asked a rep about the lenght of the supplys a while ago because a supply line from the valve can only be 24", he said it was part of the faucet so it could exceed the limits
Someone told me a while ago, that if Nathan catches someone trying to boost their post count illegitimately...

He will

Knock them

Back to

Zero

:laughing:

Don't worry... You'll join the ranks of the elite soon enough....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.